Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes to Soll

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have a trip booked with family in austria but will be spending the preceeding week with friends in Tignes, when my friends return home on the saturday the intention was for me to jump on a train to Austria and meet the folks, easy...how wrong can you be.

Has anyone done this before, flights are coming in at £300, car hire is more expensive just for one day and the train journey is about 20 hours with 4 changes but is the cheapest. Am I missing something obvious.

All help appreciated

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mollynmeg, can't help with your query, but Welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads mollynmeg, what an interesting conundrum. What options are you looking at flight wise? Via the UK or direct France - Austria/Germany.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mollynmeg, What train route are you considering ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mollynmeg, welcome to snowHead
The train will be a nightmare - you'd need to go round the alps, basically! Driving would probably be worse.
You could fly Lyon to Salzburg with Lufthansa for about £125 - that's probably the best bet.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
mollynmeg, which airports are the friends and folks flying from/to ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mollynmeg, Again welcome to Snowheads. I mostly drive to the Alps for ski-ing. I have driven from the Soll area to southern Switzerland via the Lotschberg tunnel and that took a full day. So the journey that you propose if you drive will take a minimum of 2 days in the winter. Depending on you finances you are better off to fly back to the UK from Salzburg and then off to Geneva or Grenoble by air. All in all a "no-no" frankly unless you do it by car. Overland public transport sounds complicated. Sorry nothing positive on a journey that you propose.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mollynmeg, The Lyon - Salzburg suggestion is a good one. Lufthansa also fly Geneva - Munich. From Munich you'll need to catch the train into the Hauptbahnhof in the centre and then out again to Kufstein. Taxi from there into Soll. Piece of cake! The tricky bit is probably Tignes to Geneva. Overall, 10 - 12 hours door to door I reckon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mollynmeg, Get your mates to drop you somewhere convenient ie Lyon St Exupery
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I was driving, I would go Geneva - Zuerich - Arlberg Tunnel - Innsbruck - Kufstein. Trains do go the same route.

The slow part is getting to Geneva.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd do the above - except I'd stop at St Anton!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry

Parents are flying From Gatwick to...I don't know.

Friends are flying from Geneva so I can get a transfer from tignes with them if needs be.

Transfer to Lyon then the train sounds the best bet at the monet, i will look inot it further.

Going back to the UK and out to Austria is not visable with prices on those dates.

Thanks for the help
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mollynmeg, If you can get to Geneva with your friends then I would catch a train from there.

The timetable for next year isn't on the SBB website yet, but you can get an idea by looking at dates in December.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 14-09-06 13:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mollynmeg,
At one time a friend of mine lived in Munich and joined us for a holiday in Val d'Isere. Caught a bus in Munich, got off in Val d'Isere. Munich's not too far from Soll. No doubt there were changes involved - Can find out more info if you're interested.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

mollynmeg, If you can get to Geneva with your friends then I would catch a train from there

I've done something similar, going from Val d'Isere to Gerlos (near Mayrhofen) about 10 years ago. I got a lift on a tour op transfer coach back to Geneva airport, then the train to the end of the Zillertal somewhere. I know it took me a day, and went via St Anton. I have memories of spending a night in a station somewhere (Zurich maybe?) with a nosebleed, lying on my rucsack to stop the various tramps and junkies who frequent stations at night nicking my stuff!! Oh to be a ski bum...
ski holidays
mollynmeg,

I've done this sort of trip from Austria to Meribel but I got dropped off in Basel -overnighted in the station which is not recommneded.
So I would take that lift to Geneva and get there the sooner the better as this trip will take all day. Once you are in Geneva you are into a decent train system - Tignes to Geneva is the pain and the hassle. Once at Geneva you can get to Bern and then onto Zurich when the rest of the trip should be downhill as it were. Zurich to Innsbruch to Kufstein and then bus/taxi to Soll. You'll need an early start and expect a late finish...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
According to Swiss Railways, there's a train from Geneva airport, daily, to Kufstein at 10.36, gets you in at 18.14, one change at Zuerich.
ski holidays
Mollynmeg

Funnily enough I've done the exact same journey by car, and that was a hell of a long & complex trip. If you consider going by car at all, remember Swiss and Austrian motorways are flat rate toll, plus the Alburg tunnel.
Have you looked at cheep flights back to blighty and then on to Innsbruck(best)/Munich/Saltsburg?

Regards
Andrew Day Madeye-Smiley www.skiday.co.uk
snow conditions
Try searching on www.opodo.com for your dates - based on Sat 13th Jan

Geneva to Munich - £88 via Rome with Alitalia (but this is a 06.45 flight)
Geneva to Innsbruck - £145 via Gatwick with BA (11.30 departure)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy