Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naxo nx21s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about getting some new skis (probably Mantras or Gotamas) and am considering the idea of having touring bindings on them.
Has anyone had any experience with them? The two concerns I have are: are they quite high, do they put you significantly higher than standard bindings? Do they favour release or retention - my salomon bindings (and rossi ones too) tend to absorb the shocks and not fall off, unlike my atomic ones which come off with a sharp knock even on high DIN settings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stuarth, Great binding, a little heavy and prone to breaks at the toe piece arround the walking mech. The beauty for me is the fact that you can seriously play withe DIN. Screwing off the spring cap and inserting different lengths (5mm-20mm) of correct diameter copper pipe, you can be sure those skis stay put on big reception.

Please note, this is dangerous and completly at your own risk!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth wrote:
Thinking about getting some new skis (probably Mantras or Gotamas) and am considering the idea of having touring bindings on them.
Has anyone had any experience with them? The two concerns I have are: are they quite high, do they put you significantly higher than standard bindings? Do they favour release or retention - my salomon bindings (and rossi ones too) tend to absorb the shocks and not fall off, unlike my atomic ones which come off with a sharp knock even on high DIN settings.

bear in mind that Naxo/Rottfella have two new bindings for next season: the nx02, nx11. The ride height of the Naxos gives better edging with wide all-mountain skis so can be seen as an advantage for difficult off-piste conditions. The nx02 replaces the buggy nx01 and comes with a damping unit.

The Fritschi Freeride Plus is probably the binding I would go for in this segment.

Of course the main disadvantage for touring is the weight of Naxo (and Fritschi) bindings.

Regarding release, I've not had a ski come off in the last couple of years so I'm not experienced enough to make any comments in this area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The beauty for me is the fact that you can seriously play withe DIN. Screwing off the spring cap and inserting different lengths (5mm-20mm) of correct diameter copper pipe, you can be sure those skis stay put on big reception.

take care with this as the Naxo springs are a bit fragile and don't like being over tensioned.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth, I've got NX21s mounted on some Explosives, probably did around 15 days on them last year and I liked them. The Exploders had alpine binders on before, flat mounted with no risers so you could say I noticed the difference in height. It didn't really put me off, it just made 'carving' even more of a hoot.

I chose the Naxos over Freerides because I usually ski with my DIN between 13-14. (The NX21s go to 13, FR only 12). I skied the Naxos on 12 DIN and whilst I toned down my skiing a little bit, I still skied them quite hard and only had one pre-release.

They are heavy for a AT binding but IMHO very good middle ground. (If weight is an issue get some Dynafits.) They were a little sloppy but not *too* bad, certainly, again IMO, better than Freerides.

I really like the pivot point when skinning.

Thumbs up from me.

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
stuarth wrote:

bear in mind that Naxo/Rottfella have two new bindings for next season: the nx02, nx11. The ride height of the Naxos gives better edging with wide all-mountain skis so can be seen as an advantage for difficult off-piste conditions. The nx02 replaces the buggy nx01 and comes with a damping unit.

The Fritschi Freeride Plus is probably the binding I would go for in this segment.

Of course the main disadvantage for touring is the weight of Naxo (and Fritschi) bindings.

Regarding release, I've not had a ski come off in the last couple of years so I'm not experienced enough to make any comments in this area.

I tend to give my bindings quite a hard time - I'm a bit crazy in the head and like jumping off stuff and doing big fast turns in chopped up snow so I need something pretty solid and the Fritschi freeride and nx01 don't seem beefy enough hence the nx21 thoughts. I'm in two minds about the height thing -my atomics have a carve plate which is great for racing, but my fatter skis (Karmas) don't and I prefer that for tricky steeps because I feel I can edge the skis with more subtlety (probaly just me being too crude with edging!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth wrote:

the Fritschi freeride and nx01 don't seem beefy enough hence the nx21 thoughts.

You should look at the Freeride Plus binding
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used Fritschi Freerides for a few years now and find them to be pretty good. I'm big (90+kgs) and ski reasonably hard and haven't had problems with them breaking, pre-releasing etc. They probably aren't the think for jumping off stuff but you're better off with proper alpine bindings for that
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
They probably aren't the think for jumping off stuff but you're better off with proper alpine bindings for that

I think that's why I've only briefly considered touring bindings before and then stuck with Alpine bindings. However it would be nice to not have to take my skis off and hike, but skin up(! Shocked Cool ). Thats why with touring bindings that are starting to look like they might take a hammering I'm interesed in that route again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth, Apparently, our shop sends back more retuns of Fritchi then the rest of France put together. This is not bragging, what i mean is that we have alot of big skiers here, they tour, they tour to find the best pitch to jump and jump they do. Naxo, Fritchi will break. They have more mobile parts, therefore more points of failure. Are you going to jump? Do you really need a touring binding? Yes and Yes? Bite the bullit and find a friendly ski tech like ours that has 100's of spares and replacement pieces. Buy him beer regularly and you can smash 'em up as often as you like! Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, You can get an adapter to convert your alpine bindings for touring..made by BCA ? They are not great (I have a pair) but for day tours they are preferable to walking.. snowHead

Of course you'll still need to buy skins Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy