Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pilates

Poster: A snowHead
The perfect ski position involves having a strong core. This helps the skier stay upright and forward, it prevents your hips 'collapsing' while skiing and helps maintain a strong upper body position.

There are many ways to strengthen your core, general floor / matt work and gym work outs will allow you to build up this strength.

Pilates will teach you to activate parts of your core that 'normal' people didn't even know existed. The main premise is to teach you to move your limbs independently whilst keeping your core activated, this is a lot harder than you think.

Having heard this:
Quote:
The main premise is to teach you to move your limbs independently whilst keeping your core activated

I turned up to my first class thinking, yeah, I've got a strong core I'll be OK at this, after all it's just a bunch of girls-rolling-around-on-camping-matts. I had my backside kicked.

I'm an athlete. Fit, reasonably strong and quite flexible. And Pilates gives me a really good work out.

As it happens Mrs P is a Pilates instructor so I get regular coaching. I can't recommend it enough for skiing and everyone knows September is the perfect time for starting your skiing fitness regime... get on it... Twisted Evil

edited to include /code
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had looked into this earlier in the year, class times etc. but haven't been yet.

I've a bad back (prolapsed disc in the lumbar area from rugby) so it should help to protect that and increase my balance too.

Time to move it up the "to do" list.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I totally agree Parlor, having done regular pilates for almost 3 years, and now do none at all. I really notcied one year how much my skiing had improved, and the only difference was pilates. I went to a workshop on Sunday to a new studio which has opened only 100 yards from my hous, so I will hopefully feel the benefits again this winter. I have also bought a dvd to use in the house.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me too snowHead Hasn't improved my race results tho Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, I too have / had a prolapsed disc... carried on skiing, having not realised that the excruciating sciatic pain I was suffering was due to my back. Evil or Very Mad Messed up my back pretty bad. Pilates, a book called 'Heal your own back' by Robin McKenzie and a hippy osteopath have sorted me out.

Helen Beaumont wrote:
I totally agree Parlor, having done regular pilates for almost 3 years, and now do none at all. I really noticed one year how much my skiing had improved, and the only difference was pilates.

It really works.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, I've never been to a class, but I have a great long list of pilates exercises from my physio which, over the last six months, have basically fixed a long-standing knee problem.

My posture is improved and although my core is still not as strong as it perhaps should be (it's carrying a certain amount of beer-induced baggage at the front ...) I would a) recommend the approach and b) concur that it's completely knackering!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
can you do it at home??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, yes, but you should really try and get some basic instruction first , as the breathing techniques need to be learnt, as wrong breathing and incorrect positioning could cause injury, or at best not do you any good at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, true. I found the breathing bit probably the hardest part.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cant agree enough how good Pilates is for skiing. Last season and pre Pilates I skied, and then I skied post Pilates classes later in the season and it made an enormous difference. I just felt so much more stable and stronger.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Apparently he was a skier snowHead

and him being of Greek descent, should it be pie-lat-ees ?

Sounds good for me, I have regular back trouble as well. Would be interested in a home programme if anyone can recommend something ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zammo wrote:
Helen Beaumont, true. I found the breathing bit probably the hardest part.

I stuggle too. A good coach should allow you to find your natural breathing pattern to suit the exercise.

It can easily be done at home, a good video / DVD should help. However as pointed out AT LEAST an introductory class should be done... you could do more damage than good if you aren't given a routine...

London snowHead should PM me if they need some help with this... Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
North East snowHead can check out www.pilatesstudionorth.co.uk
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Suffering from aching lower back at the moment and also perennial shoulder/neck,arm pain typical of the 'pinched nerve' variety. I have heard that something called alignment might help to cure this but not sure what it is or where to go to sort it. Would Pilates also help in this area or should I avoid it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, you are describing my world for years before Pilates. Honestly, it has changed my life
latest report
halfhand, only a qualified Pilates instructor can advise you there, I ask Mrs P...

I would say... the Pilates could help losen up your lower back but probably not do much for your sholder / neck... unless the injury is connected. I have now had three different Pilates instructors who have all helped me and worked with my back injury. As with any injury when doing any sports or therapy always stop if you feel you are aggrivating the injury.

I used to think of oesteopaths as being quacks but I can't tell you how much help I've been given by seeing a one a couple of times... Maybe the place to start and then do your Pilates once your sholder / neck is better.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, parlor, Thanks guys. I need to do something as my lower back has got worse this summer, must be something to do with the 2000 mile round trip to Royan and back. rolling eyes
ski holidays
halfhand, is it possibly posture related? Being hunched over a computer stretches and weakens the trapezius,and shortens and tightens the pecs. Exercise to open out the chest and strengthen the trapezius were part of our workshop on Sunday. This improves the posture,
snow report
Agree with all of this, started doing Pilates in July for a six-week course. Really knackering but fantastic for your posture. Starting again in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it
ski holidays
Another fan here - only started in Jan, but skiing a couple of months later I really noticed the difference. I was surprised how easy I find the core strength stuff, though, it seems playing the saxophone has the same effect (diaphragmatic breathing, weight of the instrument etc.) but the Pilates really helped my limb strength
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Yeah I guess so. Mrs. H reckons its my car seats since she reckons this only happened when I got the car two years ago..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy