Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

short breaks...... Help

Poster: A snowHead
I've just spent the last million hours trying to find accommodation for a thursday to Monday in January. Last year I did the same and got an appt in Avoriaz. This is not available. I do not want, no, cannot afford a bespoke £1000 long weekend. Does anyone know an easy-ish way of finding places to stay within striking distance of Geneva?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Pick a resort or resorts you fancy. Near Geneva could be Les Carroz for example.

2. Look at the tourist information web pages.

3. Make short list of Hotels and email to ask for rates/availability.

4. Ask on here for recomendations on the available ones.

5. Book Flight, Hotel, car hire on t'internet.

6. Wait impatiently.

Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lun, Welcome to Snowheads.

Try the tourist office or website of the place you want to visit. snowHead There are lot's of helpful folk here who will give you pointers... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Daves' site here can help with the resort shortlist.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lun, as already suggested it's mainly a case of perseverance.

If you want to make sorting w/e accomodation nice and easy you should try Chamonix as there is plenty of accom there
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just booked with lechaletcompany.com. thursday to monday in January and stanfordskiing in march. Have travelled with karibuni before on the same basis. I also spoke to finlayski and lekangaroo. The latter couldn't do my dates the former was more expensive GBP399 to Les Carroz.

Final deal was GBP135 for london city to geneva return flights 17.30 outgoing and 18.40 incoming). EUR435 half board including transfers fully ensuite.
Karibuni is cheaper EUR390 including lift pass but I went there last year.

I know i could do it cheaper but I don't want the hassle. I'm on holiday so want the only repsonsibility to be which run I am going down and where my next beer is comng from.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the welcome, wish I'd found this yonks ago.
I'm aware of the bigger resorts, and ski reasonably off piste, is it worth going to the smaller places and being prepared to drive?
Thanks also for the link
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lun, i managed to book half a week (Sun-Weds) this year at this place in Chamonix: http://www.chamonixallyear.com/ The lady who owns it is pretty flexible ie will consider half week cost for half a week. Worth a look, if there's more than one of you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going with kids 16 and 14, so isolation is out as they're expecting some relaxed french age restrictions
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lun, I've always found car hire only slightly dearer than paying for taxis or other transfers, so have gone for that for conveniance.

I've never really chosen the smaller resorts, more the satellite resorts to a bigger area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lun, got fixed up in La Clusaz from a link I picked up on the Ski Grub of GB site. £275 for 4 nights chalet board. If you want to pm me I'll send you the details. My party will be there last weekend of Jan.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand,
pm?????
I'm a novice remember, but would be very grateful
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stanford Ski in Megeve are very reasonable for long weekends.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year we did a Fri to Mon weekend in Zermatt. Flew into Geneva and got the train to Zermatt. Stayed at the City hotel, good small 3* I think. It all worked out great. You won't have a problem getting a hotel in Jan the week that you travel. They just won't take a wekend booking this far ahead.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lun, underneath the snowheads logo on the right, click where it says "send/read messages" that will take you to the PM section.

click on "new post" then type in halfhand in the username box, type in your message and then click submit.

You should see a blue box appear when he replies.
latest report
Ray Zorro, Ta, beat me to it.

lun, check your in box too Smile
snow report
done....... er or possibly not
snow report
lun, I've just booked a short break (Mon to Fri) in Morzine for January....just sent the dates and number of peeps to the Tourist Information Office and they sent me back a list of hotels that could take the booking with prices for various options, confirmed back to them by emai what we wanted and sent off a deposit. Job done!
ski holidays
lun,

Any idea where you want to go, what kind of accomodation you want (ultra cheap, B&B, D, B&B, or S/C)?

And also what kind of skiing are you after?

Basically peeps and I on here can probably recommend various places depending on what you want, from self catering in Chamonix to the Bunker in Verbier and reasonable 3* hotels in Carroz which links into Flaine.
Regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Maybe consider the Hotel Telemark in La Tania http://www.hoteltelemark.com/

SKI WEEKEND PACKAGE - new for this winter!
includes a 5% discount
- 425€ per person
- Fri, Sat, Sun night accommodation -HB
- 3 day, 3 valley ski pass

Just below Courchevel, easy access to the 3 Valleys. Not too far from Geneva.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
lun,

Any idea where you want to go, what kind of accomodation you want (ultra cheap, B&B, D, B&B, or S/C)?

And also what kind of skiing are you after?

Basically peeps and I on here can probably recommend various places depending on what you want, from self catering in Chamonix to the Bunker in Verbier and reasonable 3* hotels in Carroz which links into Flaine.
Regards,

Greg

Last year went self catering to Avoriaz. This year will go with 16,14 yr old kids, they can ski anywhere pisted, I can ski anywhere after a fashion. We need to go somewhere nearish Geneva, as we can fly from Bristol. I guess any accommodation would do, the kids would probably prefer self catering or hotel. So I guess northern alps. I'm not poor but neither am I a long weekend for 4 in Hotel Mont Vallon!!!

However, all posts above have been a big help so far. The flight and car are not a prob it was just finding the bed
snow conditions
lun, I did a 4 night break in La Thuile and stayed here - I didn't have any problems finding accommodation as it was low season when I went. It was cheap and cheerful. La Thuile is probably about 1 3/4hrs from Geneva airport through the Mont blanc tunnel.

http://www.hotelentreves.it/

other hotels can be found here http://www.lathuile.it/dormire.asp?id=1&s=i&t=1&l=e&p0=1&p1=8
snow report
There's some suggestions in this thread - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17949
ski holidays
The problem with a Thurs to Monday booking is that the accomodation owner looses 2 full (Sat - Sat) week bookings if they take your booking... so they are not very keen to accomodate you right now. If you have the option you could try and book Sat - Tues (say) and the owners may be more welcoming. Otherwise I'd just say keep trying:-) If you are not to fussed about where you go I'd wait until the last minute, book the flights now but hold out until a couple of weeks before to book the hotel / appt. By then you'll find any one with room will be a lot more flexible.
ski holidays
sah, I agree with the theory, but have to say that the vast majority of owner run Hotels I've contacted have never quibbled. I never try peak periods though.
snow report
How about flying out Friday night, staying in a valley hotel and drive up early Sat am in your ski togs to ski Saturday - Tuesday and fly back Tuesday. Same time away from work, same satisfaction, 1 weeks apartment rental. This season will be the 10th I've done this, and I have tried flying, driving but never the train which I'm tempted by this year. Have done Chamonix x1 , Flaine x2 , Les Carroz x2 , Les Arcs x 4. We prefer Lyon airport because its less weather dependent than GVA in January to get to and from.
ski holidays
I used this place on recommendation from mr gledhill, v close to Geneva,

http:// www.hotel-boisdelachar.com

Cost last year was:

From Sunday 28th January 2006 (check in) until Tuesday 30th January 2006 ( check out ) –2 nights

. 2 people with half board accommodation (dinner + night + breakfast)

. 1 double room ( shower and WC )

. at the price* of :

62 Euros / day / person

* not included : tourist tax (0,90 Euros / day / person), drinks and extras

He also got me a lift pass a little cheaper as well.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy