Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to avoid when storing skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I would love a cellar. Just like in the States, and much of the Continent. Be great for keeping wine at the right temperature. And, I guess, skis. But I don't have one. So, if I buy skis, whee do I store them? From the days when I last had skis, I know Mrs a is not keen on them stored in the bedroom. (Can't think why, they are an objet d'art, as far as I am concerned wink ) Loft gets darn hot in the summer, which I cant imagine is good for them. Hope to use the garage for the car again, soon. So that'll get damp.

Where do you keep yours?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, I have a cupboard for them. (May need to move house as the cupboard is full!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Under the spare bed (when we had one) and then at the back (of my side) of the wardrobe.

You could always buy an apartment / chalet in which to store your skis. It would stop any and all arguments.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Excellent

I knew a bloke that had a golf bag that was as well organised as your cupboard. He had a dicky fit when I swapped his 6 & 9 iron around.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman you get one of those with Spyder jackets - it's why they're soooo expensive.

No, seriously spyderjon, I am definitely not worthy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, Is that a ski museum wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
spyderjon, Excellent
I knew a bloke that had a golf bag that was as well organised as your cupboard. He had a dicky fit when I swapped his 6 & 9 iron around.

A place for everything & everything in place Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, cool.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, pretty much anywhere is ok so long as it's not damp (so I'd avoid garages but dry cellars would be fine). Damp is the worst ski killer due to the high carbon content in the edges which means rust.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, do you count the various coloured cars on the way to work in the morning? wink snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, For preference, I would use the loft. But I wonder if hight temperature does any harm?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A corner of the garage. I did not realise skis needed to be cellared like wine
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, Don't think they do. I just worry that the considerable summer temperature in the loft may be to hot for them. Is your garage car-free?
snow conditions
Mine live in the loft, which ranges from -30C to +30C. They don't seem to suffer for it.
latest report
If you have to store them horizontallly - e.g. in a loft, probably best on their edges rather than flat. They are best kept dry, especially when you bring them back from the snow - so try to get them as snow free as possible before packing them -
snow report
achilles, No garage is used for the car as well.

I keep golf clubs in another corner. Graphite shafts are OK. Occasional rust spots on steel shafts - but you can get too precious about sports equipment. I am certainly not dragging the clubs into the house after use. Cars rust too !
ski holidays
So long as the loft is ventilated skis should be fine there, the wax should be OK below about +60C
ski holidays
A nice hot loft should help get the wax into the base too. Ski racers use that technique.

I prefer a damp cellar.

snow report
Latchigo, my car is rapidly becoming less precious than skis Wink. I wonder if a good covering of wax over base and round the edges might not be sufficient for them to be kept in the garage, though.
snow report
Keep my old skis in the garage. Haven't used them for a few years and I did get them cleaned up with a view to trying to sell but never got around to it. There are no rust spots and I keep them zipped in a bag.
latest report
marc gledhill, that bindings still on the pi$$ wink
latest report
K'off. It's the camera angle. Twisted Evil
latest report
I think I would avoid snow-covered-mountains with my skis in storage. ! - I would un-store them & take them along snowHead
latest report
Mine are in the loft inside their ski bag(s) seem ok to me

A
latest report
adam_button, eek!
Take them out of the bag - too much moisture!
snow report
be fine, th zip is open at the end Happy

A
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adam_button, if it's completely open, OK, if you've only left a gap at one end, go back and open it up - better yet, take them OUT of the bag.
ski holidays
Keep them in the worst possible place so that when you dig them out they'll be "ruined" (perhaps marginally drried out or with a rust spot on the edge) & you'll have the perfect excuse for buying new toys wink
snow report
adam_button, thought you were busy freestyling on them? Laughing
snow conditions
Ahhh, that would be my Volkl Dogens - thrashed, trashed and bashed! the others are for snow only lol

A
ski holidays
out of the way but there in view everytime I need to day dream.

snow conditions
Next to my back door ... right where I can grab them of a weekend to head off to give them a trashing. (and let Adam_button ski over them when he's out of control!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy