Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Im planning on booking a ski/boarding trip to Andorra for the end of January. Does anyone have any advise with regards weather conditions, what should I expect it to be like then?

The group will be mainly beginners in there 20's and ive heard the night life is good down there too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You want Pas or Soldeu - Soldeu is much better for beginners - Pas is better for nightlife - the choice is yours.

The conditions will be fine - I have been in Jan / Feb for the last few years and had plenty of snow. Two years ago we got a metre of snow in 24 hours at the whole place was shut - apart from the pubs ! The temps will be below zero but not by much, in the wind this can drop dramatically.

Get down to TK Maxx for some good, reasonably priced gear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm there 27th Jan-3rd Feb. Last year there was about 3m of snow just before and during our stay. See the Snow Media Zone for pics.
If you want any specific advice just ask. I've done the whole thing to Pas by myself not through a tour op so I think I've got all the gen you need. I've especially got a good contact for self catering in Pas. 500 eur for the week in a biggish apartment for 4.
The good thing about Pas is that there are lots of shops IF you get someone who hates skiing. (As if).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dj_colinbell, been to andorra 3 times, each time Soldeu, each time late JAn early Feb and there has been good conditions
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ has reviews of Soldeu where we stayed
bit quieter than Pas
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We go 4th Feb with three ski virgins ! Should be fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll second Smokin Joe on the TK Maxx tip - absolutely the best place to get good cheap gear. It was a tip I got here last year and I paid less than £200 for mine and my OH's full kit.

I have heard good things about Soldeu for beginners, it is on our short list for this season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I reckon its excellent for beginners - the ski school has a good reputation.

www.grandvalira.com
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dj_colinbell, it's a great ski school, we've both learned there and so have many friends both boarders and skiers. One piece of advice is to ge up early on Monday and get morning lessons if you are going with ski school. that way you have the afternoon to play and practise.
If you go with afternoon sessions the piste is more busy and not always in as good condition
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob and sharon, Does the ski school have a website that you know of? Did you book before you got there or when you got there?

I like the idea of the 9am type start for lessons, did that in 3V this year and would definitely recommend it - then again I don't get hangovers Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kosciosco, we pre booked with our tour operator for the ski school as Crystals were doing a special offer on ski pass and ski school. Speaking of which becareful which pass you get as one covers the whole ski area and one is restricted

ski school opens / starts at 10 during week I think and on moday you get up there early so you can book on the morning sessions.
If you do what we do which is ski school morning, meet for lunch and then ski for a coupel of hours in afternoon (normally till 4) then grab shower and hit bars, snowHead

http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.aspx?lang=4§ion=110&subsection=133
is the website for the ski school
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When we went at Christmas last year, four of the group were in lessons (one kid, four adults). The ski school in Soldeu is absolutely fantastic from what all of them said. One major advantage is that a very high proportion of the instructors are native English speakers (Brits, Kiwis etc.) and that certainly helps when you're learning. The Soldeu-El Tarter area is great for beginners and intermediates - although the best stuff is around Grau Roig (between Soldeu and Pas).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm also going Andorra (Pas De La Casa) Jan 2007. This will be my 3rd time (and 3rd year in a row skiing) and it's time to buy my own boots. Does anyone know if there are any sports shops in Pas De La Casa with a large selection of ski boots?

I was fitted last year and think the Nordica Speedmachines are what I am after. Will it be better (cheaper) getting my boots from there, or am I worthwhile getting them from England (Snow&Rock or Ellis Brigham) before I go?

Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mikhig82, welcome to Snowheads. I don't know about Pas, but Soldeu have a number of shops and if you are staying in any of Sport hotels you can get a discount.
there being one shops at the base of the gondolla, where I got my insoles from this year.
Quite often you'll find the hotels are linked with the shops for discounts etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never been but think it's a good easy start for beginners, read review on my site below.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mikhig82, definitely buy in andorra - you'll get them much cheaper. I paid £70 two years ago in Soldeu and they were £170 back in Newcastle.
snow conditions
mikhig82, shop around a bit too, not all shops have large selections of manufacturers, so it's worth have a look round
ski holidays
mikhig82, My mate got his skiboots at half price in Andorra, so it might indeed be worth it shop around over there....
latest report
I would think that with Andorra being tax free the prices of all ski gear would be very good wouldn't they?
snow report
If you are in soldeu or el tarter a great and very cheap ski shop on 4 floors is past el tarter, walk down the road from the ski calbo shop at the edge of the car park in el tarter for about 10 minutes (try not to get run over as there is no pavement for a while). the large shop is on the right. There is also a huge booze/supermarket shop on the left, with some weird things for sale on the 2nd floor as well (it seemed to sell everything!) In andorra it helps to know what you want before you go, as they do seem to get last years stuff, and the prices really vary. ie. my new boots (same as old ones so did not need fitting etc) where half the price i had seen them anywhere else, but the skis i wanted were much more expensive than telemark pyrennes on the web.
snow conditions
hi stopped in soldeu a couple of years ago at the end of jan, got snowed in....shut the village off.......and closed the pistes for a day so snow fall should be ok........all bars and eating places where good, we stopped at the sport hotel which was just across the road from the main lift, fantastic hotel. should be perfect for beginers...nice long blue back to resort. lots of runs and you are able to ski into el tarter...definatley worth stopping in soldeu. i thought it much better than arinsal and pas de la casa looked a bit to high rise for me though i didnt stop there (stopped at princess parc hotel in arinsal, also very nice) i would go back to soldeu again just the transfer is a little long, but thats the only down point for me anyway.....any question I.M me
snow report
bladebasher, there are now two blues back to the resort. Facing the mountain where the gondola goes up, there is now a blue on the far left hand side passed the black which comes down to the chairlift.
snow report
Hang on. We've now got three people from Lincolnshire. You'll all start talking amongst yourselves soon and form a sub-group excluding the rest of us.
ski holidays
Nickski, we'll nearly be as big as the Derbyshire posse soon NehNeh
latest report
Thanks Smokin' Joe, Rob & Sharon etc. I think I'll be trying some boots on over here and buying when I'm out there. Ta
ski holidays
mikhig82, get decent foot beds and this will make a lot of difference snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 21-09-06 8:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Nickski, Make that 4 Smile.

Don't discount Arinsal/Pal if you are mainly beginners. The ski school is just as good, but everything is a little bit cheaper.
ski holidays
Paul Holland,
Quote:

Nickski, Make that 4 .

Go on then...make it 5

Off to el tarter this December, hear they have a good board park. Can't wait. Toofy Grin
latest report
Been to Andorra twice...avoid the Arsinal/Pal resort. The skiing is terrible and the resort ugly. El Tartar/Soldue/PAs de la Casa is great.

Cheap as Be Nice please! the place!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arinsal is ugly? Oh yes Soldeu on a main road full of coaches is Fab I suppose? Where did you stay? If you are a good skier, Arinsal is disappointing, I agree, but for learners it's great. One long valley and loads of night / afternoon life if you get peed off with falling over. Arinsal is good for boarders to build confidence too. Try staying in Arinsal and skiing Arcalis. It's a little gem. If you want to range all over the mountains, it's not for you, but if you want to feel like you own the mountain, it is. No queues, georgeous scenery, good ski loos, great cafes.
ski holidays
Iv just booked my holiday to Andorra, staying in Pas De La Casa from the 7th jan 2007 for a week with 3 other mates. Got a good cheap deal through First Choice Ski.

Anyone going to be out there around the 7th Jan??

Also, Im looking at buying a snowboard, bindings and boots. Was thinking of getting it all from the Ski and Snowboard show at the NEC Birmingham in Novemeber, does anyone recommend waiting and buying from Andorra??
snow conditions
0ppish, Buy it in Andorra- Tax free, much better selection and you can try it out!
snow conditions
0ppish, there was a thread about buying boots in Andorra a while ago although I don't know if it includes any recommended shops - this should link to it.
ski holidays
Buy in Andorra, Try Pic Negre for good service. Don't consider buying at the ski show. Or go and look and remember the prices so you can lyao when you get to Andorra. Razz
ski holidays
Hey, thanks for your advice guys. Think ill try and find what i want at the SnowShow then buy it out there.

Thanks again!
ski holidays
0ppish, I'll be out there from the 7th to 14th Jan with a large'ish group (about 25 in all). Staying at the Magic Pas hotel. snowHead
latest report
Katski of Andorra,
i,m going to arinsal for the third time this january and would like to try out arcalis for a few days, how easy is it to get transport there and back and what is it likely to cost? cheers!
snow conditions
rizzotherock,
Arcalis is about 25 minutes by bus. Buses used to go at 8.30 or 10.00 from outside and back from 3.00pm to 4.30. I haven't checked recently.
Try looking on www.andorramania.com for transport info to Ordino Arcalis, it's worth it! Ski buses are free with a ski pass.
Maybe see you in Surf in January, me and my mate will be out for a couple of weeks.
Have you taken the cablecar to Pal yet? Magic skiing at col de la Botella. A testing blue, an easy blue and a couple of wicked reds not to mention the moguls in the trees. Laughing
ski holidays
rizzotherock, Arcalis is now part of the Vallnord lift pass, and as such the ski bus is free. If you are in Arinsal, you get the ski bus down to La Massana, then change to the one going up to Arcalis.

As Katski says, it takes about 25-30 mins.
snow report
I'm out in Pas at the end of Jan. I WAS going to buy some boots whilst there but CEM has persuaded me it's not a good idea. Not in cost but in getting the correct fit. As I have a slight bunion on one foot this may only apply to me and people with similar problems.
I'm sure a pm to CEM would elicit a more complete answer.
latest report
Katski of Andorra wrote:
Arinsal is ugly? Oh yes Soldeu on a main road full of coaches is Fab I suppose? Where did you stay? If you are a good skier, Arinsal is disappointing, I agree, but for learners it's great. One long valley and loads of night / afternoon life if you get peed off with falling over. Arinsal is good for boarders to build confidence too. Try staying in Arinsal and skiing Arcalis. It's a little gem. If you want to range all over the mountains, it's not for you, but if you want to feel like you own the mountain, it is. No queues, georgeous scenery, good ski loos, great cafes.

The word for Arinsal is "BORED".

Arcalís, have the best snow. It's my favourite resort in Andorra
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy