Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile phone recommendations...

Poster: A snowHead
I need to buy a new pay-as-you go mobile for our forthcoming ski season as my company "Crackberry" is being left at home.

I've not bought a handset in ages and was wondering if anyone's got any recommendations for phones that are particularly good, or bad, to use on the slopes?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The new Sony Ericsson Cybershot 'phone. I've got the K750i, and its 2MP camera is excellent, and the other features are also superb.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having had a couple of phones where reading the display is dreadful in glare from the snow, I'd be interested in knowing of phones good in that regard. A quick boot-up time would be good, too. I'm not bothered about 3G.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks hyweljenkins.

The key thing for me is how easy the phone is to answer - my friends with Razr phones kept missing calls last season because they couldn't get the top open in time...

At least the answer button on the K750i is fairly discrete.

Any other suggestions?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to have the Sony S700i, which I really liked. Upgraded it to a Nokia 6280, which, while it is smaller, and uses the same charger as my French phone, I don't think it's as good as the sony.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml & http://www.mobilegazette.com/index.htm . . . both sites are caustic about crap stuff so have a dig then buy an unlocked unit so you can change the simm at will. PS all Carphone units are unlocked as standard
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
PS all Carphone units are unlocked as standard

Now that's worth knowing - much appreciated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
However Carphone Warehouse has customer service that is unversally rated as appalling, and it's very difficult to cancel a contract with them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No comment about use in bright light? Are they all bad?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They seem to be getting worse in that respect achilles, I remember my first mobile back in the late 90s had a single line LCD screen that easily showed the number on it. my current super duper full colour jobbie has a plastic cover over the screen so there are 3 surfaces to get scratched, attract muck and create glare. After getting the viewing angle just right to avoid reflections you then get a phone number spread across 2 lines as the screen is portrait when landscape would make more sense.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier, Thanks, I may dig out my old (but dual-band) Nokia, and have it unlocked to take my present card.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's ok Kramer, I'm going for Pay As You Go. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The thing with old phones and snow of course will be battery life, that's one area where the new phone is definitely better. Will you be keeping it in an inside pocket where it would get a bit of bodywarmth or outside in a rucksack. jacket pocket?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, stop paying and they'll soon cancel your contract Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Write letter killing contract, cancel DD, follow up with second letter a week l8r to confirm and sit back and watch them scream, report to trading standards for threatening letters and file a claim for harassment from their collection agent and cost with the CC. = 150£ apology check + costs and a grovelgram.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, Good point. I usually keep the mobile phone in the breast jacket pocket. But if I do light up the old phone, I'll check out how well the battery is holding up. I am also interested in boot up time. My present one takes forever. As I use a transceiver, the phone is often off until I take break. So in an accident, I don't want to be struggling to see when I should be entering my PIN - and when the phone is ready to go - let alone seeing that I have called up the right number.
snow report
I would get a phone that has a menu system/software that you are used to and like. Personally, I think that the software writers at Motorola should be fed broken glass for their efforts. I have spent almost all of today trying out a new Sony Ericsson W810. It's a great phone and the software is fine but I've finally realised/come to terms with the fact that I'm conditioned to Nokia's software Embarassed and will be swapping the Sony tomorrow (even though it is a great phone). rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have to agree jtr - I've had Motorola, Sony, Samsung and Nokia phones. The Nokia software is by far the easiest and most logical to negotiate - if you don't know where something is you can guess.

If you want bad, you should try a Blackberry - it took me well over 15 minutes to work out how to make a call - god only knows how all these "captains of industry" manage.

The primary concern with this phone though is whether I can answer the phone with gloves on.

FenlandSkier I generally keep my phone in my jacket pocket.

Maybe I should just head into Carphone Warehouse wearing a pair of ski gloves. I can almost guarantee that I won't be "pounced" on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
If it's just for skiing there is a very basic Nokia around at the moment (the 1100 i think) which is perect for what you describe. It has a modern battery so it last a long time, but it also very basic in terms of technology - basically it makes calls and texts, has a black and white screen and that is about it. It is very easy to use, has big buttons and you can pick a new one up on PAYG for about £30. My brother took his travelling and said that it was hugely unfashionable but was also pretty indestructable and perfect if all you want to do is make calls. And it's cheap.
snow conditions
stevec, I'll look at that. Thanks.
snow conditions
I've got a Samsung D600 which has a great camera and can be set to answer by sliding it up. The battery life is not the greatest tho', I have to charge it twice a week.

I agree that Nokia have the best user interface but the Samsung is pretty good also.
snow report
That sounds perfect to use as a travelling phone stevec, no major loss if it got dropped/damaged/lost as well.
snow report
FenlandSkier, achilles, Here is the link to it at the Carephonewarehouse: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?S=40&PN=PAYGO&filter_partModel=NOK1100 If you fancy a look at it.

As a said not excatly the prettiest phone out there....
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
I've got a Samsung D600 which has a great camera and can be set to answer by sliding it up. The battery life is not the greatest tho', I have to charge it twice a week.

I agree that Nokia have the best user interface but the Samsung is pretty good also.

Couple of things here - other half has D600 and hates it, says camera is basic and the phone interface is crud

NOKIA EASY USER INTERFACE - yeah if your 14 and a techno nerd!

My vote goes with SE every time, had S700i, T610, K800i

A
snow report
adam_button wrote:

NOKIA EASY USER INTERFACE - yeah if your 14 and a techno nerd!

My vote goes with SE every time, had S700i, T610, K800i

A

SE interface is great if you like pressing 2 buttons instead of 1 e.g. speed dials. Each to his own
latest report
stevec wrote:
FenlandSkier, achilles, Here is the link to it at the Carephonewarehouse: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?S=40&PN=PAYGO&filter_partModel=NOK1100 If you fancy a look at it.

As a said not excatly the prettiest phone out there....

But it does have a nice, big, glove-friendly button for answering calls.

(Ignoring the fact that it's butt ugly and has zero functionality). It's more or less perfect Smile
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Correct, i think we may have a candidate for "perfect snow phone". So long as you keep it out of site in your pocket that is. Very Happy
latest report
adam_button, Are you sure its the 600 and not the 500? Different folks, different strokes I guess rolling eyes
ski holidays
get a life, it's only a mobile phone..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's one to delete, along with it's author Embarassed
latest report
Bob - thank you . Quite agree.

Hoppo - thank you. I'm sure Mrs PhillipStanton would quite agree. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy