Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would YOU do?

Poster: A snowHead
if YOU were to design a ski boot what design features would you put on it / in it?
could be liner, could be clips but what!!

would you go for simple designs or would you pimp your ride?

discuss/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots made on custom lasts, so that my slightly odd shaped feet would fit into the clogs without (a) extensive boot surgery or (b) crippling pain. If I could have custom lasts I wouldn't care what colour the boots were Wink I suspect this is not a simple solution.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 4-09-06 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boots that could be fitted correctly at one session, had liners moulded to the oddities of my feet, and were instantly comfortable, yet gave no more during use, and allowed good edge-to edge control. They would be as easy to put on as rear-entry boots, and be top-class for both touring and alpine use.
There. That covers it. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. I'd like ski boots that made me feel stable descending the slippery steps to the restaurant toilets Toofy Grin
2. Some sort of 'smart buckle' that did itself up to the correct tightness and adjusted as necessary without me having to remove gloves, chip ice from buckles, fiddle with little metal bits around my ankles whilst dressed like michelin man.
3. Easy on and offable would be good too...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
in addition to the above had a goretex like quality that god rid of sweat and therefore stayed dry
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For one thing, ski boots should be easy to get into and easy to get out of. Strangely, boot manufacturers cracked that from the 1970s, then decided to make them more difficult to use.

Re-invent rear-entry is what I say. It's a brilliant concept.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A soft upper cuff like the Rossignol Soft1 boots to give good upper boot fit and I too like the idea of a breathable liner, a better walk mode would be handy as well
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, good rear-entries were much easier to walk in, because of the instant release of the rear spoiler. It's hard to replicate that design feature with a conventional 4-clip boot.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Something that would improve my dancing... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton, in yer boots
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charcoal impregnated liners
Integral heaters (for the Mrs)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, I would definitley go for the integral heaters too Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd want it made lighter somehow.
Also some retractable spikes on the soles (or something similar) so that you don't go base over apex when walking on ice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No liner.
No hinge.

...just a single composite material that has natural flex built into it.

I like Ray's spike idea.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I like Ray's spike idea.

Wouldn't the spikes be quite painful when retracted? Wink
snow conditions
CEM,

I'd like a custom footbed, I've heard yours are pretty damn good...Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I had a pair of Lange boots (circa late 80s) with integral heaters. First tow of the day in a Scottish blizzard they were actually quite nice Little Angel
latest report
David Goldsmith, Re-invent rear entry! Your wish is my command, see what we've done with Nordica this coming winter.

GRAN SPORT.

I hope she works(fingers crossed) Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, why did boot maufacturers abandon the rear-entry concept? My one and only pair of rear entry boots (Nordica something or other, 720 perhaps?) were as comfortable as a pair of slippers, although after six or eight weeks skiing offered about as much ski control as a pair of slippers would have done!
ski holidays
As others have said, rear entry and non-slip sole, would to me be the obvious essential features. All the rest imho are bells and whistles!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, The main reason we moved to the current, throat entry boot is return to origin. What i mean by this is, that when you flex a ski boot, it should return upright in order to help direction change. Current boots have the 'Resistance Axis' behind the Achilles and so act like the tendon, extending to weight and pressure the ski(Flex) and rebounding to origin(Return) unweighting/direction change. This method is the most efficent use of energy so far used. Rear entry boots had the 'Resistance Axis' over your instep/neck of the foot. Here, the plastic tended to fatigue and had many more joints in an attempt to control the flex. These joints are points of failure, weak spots.

So, that's why the current design of ski boot remains; four buckle, clog and coller. Albiet with a few exceptions(Krypton, Gran Sport) Little Angel
snow conditions
I hated rear entry boots - sloppy & painful & find that even a cheap modern 4 buckle is superior in almost every way. Even more comfortable for all day wear than my soft snowboard boots.

A boot that will suffice for tele and alpine would be great though - lockable bellows with NTN compatability in an alpine boot?

More importantly I'd like a new standard for bindings with removable mountings/ skis with drilled inserts so that I could port a binding between different skis. K2 tele skis have it, Line tried it without great success. There would be a weight penalty but surely no greater than some of these integrated/rail systems. Of course it would be totally against the interests of the industry but a real benefit for those of us that have to fly with ever decreasing baggage allowances.
snow conditions
I don't remember rear entry boots giving anything like the snug fit along foot and calf that my present boots give. However, I've seen admin skiing fluidly in an ancient pair of rear-entries - so I can see they worked (and are still working) for some.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks. I think my old Nordica rear entry boots demonstrated how those weak spots could fail. They flopped forward under hardly any pressure at all.

What kind of skier is the Gran Sport aimed at? Will you use a pair for 'normal' use?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Gran Sport has been designed, ahhhhem, for those of us whom like the ease of use of the rear entry but with a flex pattern of a modern boot.

"SOUNDS LIKE ME!"

Well no, the system will not, as noted above, have the same return to origin, due to the cutaway behind the Achilles.
However it is, i belive, a perfectly balanced product. I will be selling it to those will a fuller calf shape or those will a shorter or less flexable Achilles. Will will also be a great boot for touring!!!

No i will not be wearing them for 'NORMAL USE!!!????', i have been spoiled by Poly-Ether Plug shells and really can't now ski in anything that is comfortable or enables me to feel anything below the shin. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
fatbob, Vist bindings give you that...www.vist.it

and interchageable colours so you always match your skis and boots. I assume youbuy your skis to match your boots already like any sensible individual.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so what's new compared to the "mid" entry concept as espoused by Lange, Tecnica, et al for a while?
latest report
David Murdoch, Simple four bucke adjustment. Top clip on = Ski, Top clip off = Walk. Skis well, flexes well, walks well. Oh well oh well oh well, ughh, tell me more, tell me more................................................................... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Proper perfomance in terms of support / stiffness with a proper walk mode - less for walking more for skinning. A really beefy rando boot really.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER...did he get very far?
latest report
I'd like some boots like the guy in the RAC ad. They'd give extra purchase on the small jumps and easier landing on the big jumps.
snow conditions
so thats unanimus (sp) a custom lasted, easy to put on rear entry style, with 4 easy to do up clips, big spikes to stop you slipping over and integral heaters Toofy Grin Toofy Grin oh and with rockets on like the guy from the RAC advert Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
fatbob, Vist bindings give you that...www.vist.it

this might merit a new thread
snow conditions
I'd do nothing.... I can go in, buy a pair of standard boots and they fit perfectly first time! cool eh?

A
latest report
adam_button, is that any particular boot or do they all fit Toofy Grin

you are VERY VERY LUCKY
snow conditions
Make the buckles continuously adjustable...like snowboard bindings with some kind of ratcheted strap
snow report
I reckon adam_button has artificial legs Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have an artificial brain (is that what they mean by artificial intelligence?) but my legs are my own - I think Puzzled

I have a pair of Head Mojo - bought off the net, fit fine and a new shiny awaiting snow pair of Salomon 1080 Boots - again, standard fit, no fenagaling or nothing.

Im normal, its everyone else thats not Laughing

CEM - Bicester eh? been into see Chris Bean at all @ Beans of Bicester??? Cool chap and very very good service!!!

A
snow conditions
ok, let's go mad!!

Carbon fibre everywhere possible for strength and lightness, retractable studs for ice seem the dogs, easy in and out, and easy way to work out if they fit u or not!!!
latest report
Greg, what is this skiing cat thing? Confused wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy