Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne - Bad News for Solos

Poster: A snowHead
Snuffling around on some package operators sites, some still talk about the Hotel Eldorador in BP having no supplement single rooms. But their prices panels don't offer them now and there's a single supplement of ~ £23 p.n. for sole occupancy of a twin. And in fact the hotel is now a Mercure and the old name is likely to vanish. Beware of incorrect data on the web sites.

Here's the reason why the singles have gone ..........
Quote:
You're quite correct in that, up to this year, the Eldorador did have single rooms which were in fact twin rooms split down the middle to create two singles sharing a bathroom. However, as you say, the hotel is under new management, and is subsequently undergoing full renovations, part of which is, unfortunately, to remove this divide and return these rooms to twin rooms. There will therefore, from next winter, be no more 'dedicated'
single rooms without supplement, and Solo travellers will need to book a
twin room, paying the relevant under-occupancy supplement.
We are about to bring out our 'main' edition winter 2004/5 brochure, and the new room description will be described and priced accurately in this. The website will be brought fully up to date as soon as possible.
I realise how difficult it is to find non-supplemented single rooms, however
despite our best efforts, the hotel has taken this decision, and unfortunately our pricing structure has to follow.
I hope this clarifies the situation for you,
Best regards
Erica
Overseas Purchasing Manager
Neilson Active Holidays

This is a great shame as the hotel was offering solos ski-in/out, great food, free wine with dinner, no supplements and a great high altitude skiing area. Perfect. I've been back repeatedly for these reasons.

Any solo snowHeads got any other ideas where else I might go to get the same sort of thing ?? Most packages targetted at solos are in lower, much less attractive resorts (or countries even) and there are very few offered in France. The States resorts generally seem to be geared towards huge rooms suitable for an entire tribe. I don't mind paying something for single occupancy of a reasonable room but when it adds up to almost another holiday that's a definite no no. And some of the rooms I've been given as 'twins' would certainly not have permitted any cat-swinging.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to stay in single rooms, or share twin rooms on a 'hope for the best' basis. Nowadays I find it's more fun to go to the extreme of sharing a bunk-bedded room in a hostel when skiing independently.

You get to meet all kinds of interesting people. A recent stay in a Swiss hostel included Dutch, American, Swedish and Scottish skiers and boarders and resulted in some excellent company with a guy from Microsoft in Seattle who was obviously on a high salary but also enjoyed the rudimentary approach. We had a brilliant skiing day together. Evening meal was also included, which made the whole thing excellent value.

Admittedly, comfy hotel rooms are nice too, from time to time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I won't give a snow assurance but Wengen in Switzerland has plenty of hotels with single rooms, and the scenery is quite fantastic, I would sugest for the best snow conditions the very begining of February seems to be the most reliable, its disadvantage is that there is arround a 4 hour rail trip from Zurich or Geneva airports, but if you can find someone to fly you to Bern airport it drops to about 1 to 2 hours depending on connections, if you want to know more PM me
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a hostel at Crap Sogn Gion at Laax that's at the top of the main lift, so you can ski all the way down the fresh piste to catch the first cable car of the day (or use the head start to head off round the resort before the crowds).

There's a trendier and more "sophisticated" one at the bottom of the lift, too that gets a lot of good reviews.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 6-07-04 13:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, Getting away from traditional hotel/chalet-style breaks, single people can get some pretty good b&b (chambres d'hôte) deals here in France.

We're thinking of letting out a room on that basis ourselves here in Bourg...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TKS all - I might take you up on that PG. I've not used chalets before partly because of silly supplements, they can be very group or family oriented, and also because I prefer a hotel bar to meet up with people. And the privacy of a single room. Sharing 'on spec' wouldn't be fair - it seems I snore like a foghorn. Wink
But if the base cost of the holiday is low even B&B becomes a possiblity with eating and drinking out in the evenings. Thinking also of using Flying Squirrel for a studio. I'm hooked on the big French resorts. The thing you guys in Les Arcs have going for you is the snow train, which I'd like to try. DG & Skanky - I think my hostelling days are over but it's an idea others might like.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The other side of the coin though Ian, is that as a single traveller u are as flexible as it's possible to be: a great asset if u have the nerve for ultra-late-booking.
U have no-one to 'double-check' with before booking, no-one who 'definately wont go there or there or there again' but more importantly no-one to get on your nerves if u haven't booked, with only 3 days to go.

Yes, overall the most options are open to a group of 2 but I have often travelled alone cheeply by waiting very late to book. The latest was less than 5hrs before departure.
When it's as late as this, there's obviously no chance that they'll get it filled any other way.
Make sure u are speaking to someone at the tour op who has the authority to cut a deal - assure them that u are "quite happy to pay the 'full' last minute price" but point out that having to take a whole double or triple yourself is hardly of your choosing and they might as well drop the surcharge. If u really want to rub in how silly they would be to hang on to their position say, "well I'd be quite happy sharing if u turn someone else up to fill the other place". They will likely feel the urge to point out that they could never find someone this late and their whole argument instantly disappears in a puff of logic.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, That is a shame. We went to that hotel last year for that very reason, and had a good time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We don't charge single supplements but do point out that if another single wants to book then they have to share. The inevitable response is 'I don't mind provided it's a female'. Surprisingly it hasn't happened yet and lady skiers never suggest they wouldn't mind sharing with a man.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I once had an apartment in Flaine to myself by booking it through Erna Low and then getting flights and transfers through Inghams. It worked out about £300, rather than the silly suplement price I would have paid had I done this through a tour operator. I was skiing with people who'd booked the whole thing through Neilson and had 6 crammed in a shoebox as far from the slopes as you can get and they paid about £50 less. My apartment was tired but right by the slopes and all to myself. Great!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

as a single traveller u are as flexible as it's possible to be: a great asset if u have the nerve for ultra-late-booking.
not really U. I have to plan my leaves well in advance and I have to get to UK first to use any package deals (which was my normal method but I'm thinking of DIY because the tour operators prices have shot up and I'm sick of resort transfers from hell). Oh and I don't really have the nerve either. Cool

Robbie, the end of an era for the Eldorador ? Jonpim's been there too with his GasMen. Hope the new owners don't destroy the catering along with the single 'cabins'. The best buffet brekkie in the Alps -last season. Who knows now ???? I once got lucky there and they gave me a twin at no increased cost. Sheer luxury.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I once got lucky there and they gave me a twin at no increased cost.
Laughing Laughing That is a whole other level of service. But you are right, i hope the food dosent change. It was great, especailly given teh price paid for teh accomodation
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, never stayed there, but have enjoyed the evening meals many times-shame.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, happy memories especially of the sea food buffet dinners. Miles from the sea but fabulously fresh stuff incl oysters, langoustines...... drool.
And the cheese boards to die for. Do hope Mercure don't mess with the kitchens. But their action in blitzing the popular little single rooms to create north-facing, no balcony twins (overlooking a bank of snow for the most part) at the same price as the south facing, mountain view rooms doesn't give confidence they are acting sensibly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mercure is just another of those bland, slightly upmarket chains. Sad to see the independents gradually being swallowed up. Most chains impose their plastic internationalised menus and standards, so I doubt it will be any different in this case.
latest report
Quote:

Sad to see the independents gradually being swallowed up.

Yes - the Eldorador was unique. I think Spanish-owned or managed ? It was getting a bit tired in some public areas and needed a lick of paint. But the food and friendly staff more than compensated. The restaurant was very popular with non-residents from the s/c apartments which comprise most of Belle Plagne's accommodation. Great terrace too for late afternoon relaxing in deck-chair mode. Very sad for everyone - not just the solo travellers. Sad Sad Sad
latest report
kuwait_ian, we were warned about this back in January. DoctorsUpdates have had a great relationship with the Eldorador. It was a place you could relax in because it was a bit scruffy. I am sure it will be rather different next year. I do hope any changes won't ruin our meeting.
The real fun thing about the single cabins (we called them crates) was the shower. However careful you were with the taps, the temperature would vary wildly and rapidly from freezing cold to scalding hot and back again. It certainly woke us up in the morning! Just what you need after a night in the Saloon Bar.
snow report
Jonpim, yup those showers certainly kept you moving. Could never figure out whether the floor you were on or the time of day had any impact on the wild temp swings ? Scary. No doubt after the refurb they'll all be thermostatically-controlled, water-saving dribblers you have to run around in to get wet. No more ski boots in the piano bar......... ? No more free vin chaud in the lobby ........ ?
Had a look at your web site and it's guilty of the same sin as Neilsons, Inghams etc - you're still talking about the Eldorador packing crate rooms as if they exist. Might need to up-date there, friend.
For those who are wondering about the cabins/crates, it was actually possible for me to touch both walls. More like a couchette than a room - but hey we loved them. R.I.P. Club Eldo. and the lovely animateurs. Cool
Oh and Matt's Pub has changed hands and name too. BP is not the place it was. Good job the slopes are still there and the lifts are improving steadily. Still well worth a visit - - - - unless you're a nostalgia freak.
snow report
kuwait_ian, thanks for the point about Updates still mentioning the crates. I will mention this to Bernie The Boss.
And Matt's Pub - yes, not the same at all. It was a standard meeting place until this year, but the new incarnation (can't remember name) had no atmosphere at all in January, so we abandonned it. Favourite boozer now Maitre Kanter in the Balcons block.
snow conditions
Quote:

(can't remember name)
neither can I - the place ain't got no soul. Maitre Kanter's OK - esp the 2 for 1 Happy Hours. What's that little restaurant in the BP Centre almost opposite Le Matafan - Le Cloche ? Highly recommended for anyone wanting local specialities in vast quantities at sensible prices. Belle Plagne is still argueably the best bit of La Plagne (except for night life). Cool
snow report
It even looks quite appealing in the summertime, when purpose-built ski resorts are notorious for shabbiness.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy