Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go on, have a laugh...

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I'll have a go at this. But I only know what I like to see so will let an instructor point out any nitty gritty

I thought the posiition on the skis got better in the later takes. Agreed the pole plant is not functional but then it does not really need to be on the terrain shown. A good plant here would be for style points, IMV. I think, I would prefer the knees to be driving the turn a bit more so which ever way you do it, they end up a bit more over the boots in a more dynamic position. But if the instructor or the day...or anyone else, thinks that is a great position, I'd put my POV down as personal preference.

You could reach out forwards with the hands which might bring the body a bit more forward plus deal with the pole issue as well.

But the skis travel well over the terrain and the transition for one turn to the other is very quiet which might be good. I'd go for a slightly more animated change but then that might just be old and new thinking.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Quite enjoyed that again. It bit more "motion", and a decent pole plant should see you just about there.

other observations:
1) It looks like a very nice piste
2) Your obviously enjoy your skiing immensely. Does anything else matter.

Thanks!
1. It was taken on a few different pistes in Aspen/Snowmass
2. Yes I do, no it doesn't.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
I thought the posiition on the skis got better in the later takes.

Yes, it was one of the things we were working on over the 4 days - from memory the video was taken on day 2 and day 4 of the ESA.

JT wrote:

But the skis travel well over the terrain and the transition for one turn to the other is very quiet which might be good. I'd go for a slightly more animated change but then that might just be old and new thinking.

I am trying to have a quieter upper body, but I agree that in general a bit more movement wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This could be another can or worms.

I think it is very hard to look really great with a totally new school ride, good, but not great, IMHO. I accept the technique might be more effiecent but I can only recall Charlotte looking very good on skis. Now, I don't spend much time in that sort of domain but I would aim for the best of old and new personally which is only helpful if you have learnt old style. You wouldn't want to go back to it...but maybe nick a bit more style and you might have the best of both worlds. Probably not one that instructors might want to hear.

I mean, A framing is really really ugly.

sorry, for a hijack
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, if you look back at this thread, it was pretty much hijacked all the way, I don't think your comments are out of line.
I didn't really learn the old style - when I started in the mid 90s, I think I only had a couple of lessons that way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat I can't open it, what am I doing wrong? It says it's downloading, then 'done', but there's nothing on the screen. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle,

Its 18 mb...might be best going of for a cup of tea and leaving the sound on.

Wear The Fox Hat, Just a general opinion, thats all. Not one that is connected with the video, as such.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT,
Quote:

Its 18 mb...might be best going of for a cup of tea and leaving the sound on.

It's not a question of length, nothing happens at all. Puzzled (As so often in life...)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[b]
other observations:

2) Your obviously enjoy your skiing immensely. Does anything else matter?

You really wouldn't fit in on epic would you? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, did it download to your desktop?

If so, double click on the new file that you have.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle,

shocking shocking shocking

What media player do you have?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ops, silly question.. I could have sworn it played through MPC....must have been that other video I was watching... Confused wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT wrote:

I think it is very hard to look really great with a totally new school ride, good, but not great, IMHO. I accept the technique might be more effiecent but I can only recall Charlotte looking very good on skis.

Have to disagree with that. The nu kids look much more fluid I think, they flow down the mountain compared to us old staccato doods.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

did it download to your desktop?

I don't think so. It said it was downloading, but didn't appear to go anywhere and the message 'done' came up really quickly. Sorry, I'm a techno-nump. Embarassed

JT,
Quote:

What media player do you have?

Assuming this is still a relevant question (I don't know what MPC is, and would probably regret asking) Windows Media Player. And what's shocking x 3?
latest report
 brian
brian

2) Your obviously enjoy your skiing immensely. Does anything else matter.

Depends. If you have aspirations to be able to do something, get somewhere, ski something or other etc.

I do, and at 37 the clock is running ... Sad
snow report
brian,
Quote:

at 37 the clock is running

Oh bog off, will you! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
brian wrote:
JT wrote:

I think it is very hard to look really great with a totally new school ride, good, but not great, IMHO. I accept the technique might be more effiecent but I can only recall Charlotte looking very good on skis.

Have to disagree with that. The nu kids look much more fluid I think, they flow down the mountain compared to us old staccato doods.

I agree. Lampbus is one example, he just flows and is a joy to watch.
snow conditions
Hurtle,

"Nothing ever happens". etc etc ....just caught my mind wandering, thats all. Laughing

It views in quicktime ok....
MPC is Media Player Classic. I find it helps to have a few media players installed.

Getting back to the video. I think that is a solid looking basic set-up. I just think that a racier dynamic through the turn, and build on it over time.
It would be nice to have an instructor chime in but presumable the instructors of the day were happy. What do they say..?
latest report
brian,

We will have to fine tune out thoughts on the hill. Skiiing god videos apart, I can't think of many examples. It is probably only aesthetics anyway.

FTS I don't find the style appealing, in general, it just doesn't work for me.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, go to L2A in the summer and watch the race camps. Awesome.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, it looks pretty good to me. Lovely snow too. I just think you should probably go and see an expert and get your boots sorted Very Happy
ski holidays
brian,

No problem at the race camps with a lot of those guys, but we aren't getting that 9 times out of 10 on the mountain
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, true, but it shows how it works if you do it right.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
JT, go to L2A in the summer and watch the race camps. Awesome.

one of the best things about summer lessons IMO. for once there are lots of really good skiers providing a good example of what to do
latest report
RachelQ, thanks, I think! Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Nice improvement from the 1st clip onwards as your turns/arcs become more grippy with less skid. Very Happy
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I enjoyed watching. At MK my hands went to pot as I got more confident and I kept being told to keep them lower. Yours were very still and quiet and consequently I noted their position. Was that about correct or could they have been a little lower?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I still can't open the damn thing. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I wouldn't look for much lower than that. More actively forward and responsive perhaps.

WTFH, one way to think of 'taller outside leg' is to think of bike turns. The seat doesn't drop 2-3cm relative to the pedals at the apex of the turn.

The "OK, found the sidecut, now it's time to settle in and ride it through" mentality is wicked hard to get rid of, oh how well I know. But hey, you've seen me ski. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, thanks (oh, and thanks everyone else) - now, where are all the other instructors???
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I can't open it either - I'll go away & download something to make it work.
ski holidays
Try installing quicktime...

here
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

Try installing quicktime...

To my embarrassment, I discovered when trying to install it, that I had it already! I'm no further forward on opening your link, though. Oh well, never mind, I guess I'll have to live without watching you skiing.
snow report
Hurtle, have you tried right clicking on the video link, and then choose "Save As", then save it to your desktop.
snow conditions
Quote:

where are all the other instructors???

I refer the Honourable Gentlemen to the reply I gave some time ago, in the other house! Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

have you tried right clicking on the video link, and then choose "Save As", then save it to your desktop

I thought I had - but this time it worked! Embarassed Embarassed Thanks for bearing with me. I enjoyed the video and thought you looked fine. To my VERY untutored eye, yes, there could have been the odd pole plant and I thought that your stance could have been more 'aggressive' ie more attacking of the slope, perhaps what comprex referred to as "more actively forward." However, I wouldn't mind betting that, on a slightly steeper slope, you would have done both those things naturally - it's difficult not to look as though you're just pootling about, when the nature of the slope permits you to pootle. (Sorry, deeply untechnical terminology.)

It's really helpful for wombles like me if you guys post footage like this, since we can learn lots from the experts' comments on it. Thanks. Smile
ski holidays
veeeight, sorry, I should have put it as "where are all the other instructors, apart from those who I will now list by name, the list being complete and correct?" Wink
ski holidays
As a qualified instructor (BCU) I will refrain from commenting, as all snow related threads on here end in arguments and threats of Lawyers Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I've had a look and the thing that instantly comes to mind is, increase your range of movement. More active extension at the start of the turn, followed by a smooth progressive Flexion.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
.......followed by a smooth progressive Flexion.

rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy