Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go on, have a laugh...

Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton, Great video. I realy liked it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you skiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why is it that the poles of folks that can ski well look like graceful arm extensions, whilst mine look like broken windmills Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, maybe you need to speak to this man http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/4249/cat/504 ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WTFH, I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm not laughing - I think you're very brave posting a video of yourself. So I'm going out on a limb and posting a photo of me. I don't get many photos/videos of me skiing as I'm usually behind the camera! rolling eyes Laughing

Anyway, here's me in Whistler last season (I hope this works as I haven't posted any images yet)

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice photo geetee - that body position has really come along and the knees have really come along. ELVIS IS DEAD!!!!!

Hips and shoulders don't quite look level - but is undoubtedly better than I could do - and it could be the camera angle.

Go on - get some of that video up on YouTube!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, I never did Elvis - that was DF. And do you realise that video clip is nearly 4 years old!! Anyway, you already posted the said video wink

PS I'm sure you could do much better
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geetee - I thought you guys took some video in Whistler?

geetee wrote:
I never did Elvis - that was DF

Ah ha. (Said, of course, like The King.)

Any idea what run you're on there?

BTW - it's a very nice piccy, but a bit of a difficult angle to comment on. Got anything from the side?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, This photo is from near the bottom of Couloir Extreme. BTW I'm lucky I got that one photo never mind any side shots! Laughing Not much in the way of me on video from last season (which is a little sad in light of how long we were there) There is a clip of me doing Escalator but I'd need to download it from the camcorder. Note to self, must teach Mr Geetee how to take video clips on new camera before we go skiing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee wrote:
...must teach Mr Geetee how to take video clips on new camera before we go skiing...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm sure Mr Geetee will be, errr, "enthusiastic"!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, I'm concerned that you aren't enjoying yourself - that smile is too small! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geetee, looking good!

Now, I'm not saying I could do any better (only by luck, once in a while, on a good day) and what I'm about to say may be total bøllocks, but I'd like to take a stab at analysis:

The skis seem to be slightly divergent. Should the left hand be somewhat further forward, and thus the left shoulder slightly further round to avoid that?

Perhaps someone who actually knows what they're talking about could comment.

One day I'll be brave enough to post a picture of me!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy - is that better? I had been having a chuckle at a bloke who skiied past me a few mins earlier, feet jammed together and arms flailing like a windmill. It was truly a sight to behold.

laundryman, thanks for the comments - yes I think you're right about the divergent skis and I was told to have them more parallel by someone else. I still get wedging tendencies at the initiation of the turn (even more so when I'm nervous or on something steep) I was also told the my uphill arm was dragging (so my right hand in that photo) and I needed to drive it forward more. Of course there are plenty of other comments I get like not enough ankle flex, too much in the back seat.....etc etc etc so much to learn not enough brain capacity to remember it all at once! Laughing Anyway, go on, post a photo - you know you want to. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geetee, just on the strength of that photo i think you need to concentrate more on flexing from the ankle and therefore getting forward. a little bit of divergence of your skis isn't perfect form but doesn't hurt your skiing as much as being in the back seat and it'll probably be quite easy to fix once you get forward
snow report
Arno, thanks - yes lower leg a bit stiff and straight although it's improved a bit since I got my new boots.
snow report
Arno, geetee, Diverging skis usually a sign if being in the back seat.

geetee, On the other hand - great pic, great snowHead great skiing ! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
ski, thanks ski Very Happy
snow report
geetee, in the absence of any photos/video of me skiing on this computer, i should disclose that easiski has some very embarassing footage of me skiing the snowheads wall with my outside arm flailing all over the place Embarassed

edited for talking to myself

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 29-09-06 11:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'd tend to think its just a snapshot of a position...and that the before and after could be fine....
I wouldn't be a worried about the skis on that basis

Besides, there should loads of embarrassing videos after this season...!!
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, hmmmm, I'm thinking this LG trip might need some Ts&Cs Confused Laughing
ski holidays
brian, what goes on tour stays on tour should cover it?
snow report
Arno, brian,

I'm with you on that....... but we must be able to get some good stuff, surely... we will all be carrying vids, I think.

But no, I was thinking more about a lot of snowHead who will be willing post their pics this year...

The only decent stuff I have is on VHS which I can't convert and its about 6 years old......!!!
snow report
JT, conversion services might be available wink And you don't even have to grow a beard or swear allegiance to imaginary beings.
ski holidays
i did try to upload a vid i made onto the snowMedia zone but it was too big a file
snow report
Arno, how big? I *might* be able to host it...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, can't remember - think it was about 17meg, although i shrunk it into a few different sizes. it's on my computer at home
ski holidays
I would have thought there would be plenty of incriminating footage obtainable at the PSB, which could keep this thread occupied all winter. Perhaps there's a need for an anti-outing rule to prevent unauthorised posting of an individual SH (said in anticipation of own poor video performance wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda,

VHS to DVD..??

I ought to get a capture card but I'm having trouble burning at the mo' so haven't bothered.
snow conditions
fatbob,

I take pretty good vids, I think, and the idea isn't to embarrass, but if there is a spectaclur face plant then the committee would have to rule whether it could be released... Laughing
ski holidays
Lookin' good

I shrunk this picture to make it more download friendly for our website so it's probably not very good as a tool for judging my style but I think I look pretty good in it.

Hmm, my head looks a bit squashed must be the result of the enormous speed I was doing.
latest report
JT, VHS to avi or other format if you want to put it on a website eg this was VHS or to DVD if you prefer. Depends on whether you trust your tapes to the Post Office + me wink
ski holidays
Well hopefully this is it on youtube:

http://youtube.com/v/KT0bTSNbRlM

I'm not on until the end - "the last and probably least" segment

It wasn't really shot with instruction in mind (natch) but feel free to criticise away or just enjoy it snowHead
ski holidays
Yoda,

Yes, I'll do that.... I'll PM you

Arno,

Nice video... That looked like you shot everything in Balma and Olen... ?????
latest report
JT, yep - it was a little while after the last snow and we found a few nice stashes in there
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, first of all I want to say hats of for posting the film.

Im quite sure everything that can be said has been said by now and Im to tired/lazy to read the entire thread but Im still gonna throw my few cents in here.

Beeing in control vs takeing charge of things.

You are incontroll of your skis and your sking which is good now you need to take charge.

I know that this is a controll drill so its hard to judge the sking from that but your body language is a bit "excuse me but could I please use this patch of snow". I do think that if you would film another sequence where you just free ski then we would see the same body language.

I think that once you take charge of your sking your body language will be much more energetic (is that a word?. Laughing ). I could be very wrong here but Id like to see you "step into the boots" a bit more inorder to get your body a bit more forward.

Another thing Id like to see is more agressive pole work. I know that this comes from me beeing oldschool but pole planting does dictate the rythem of the sking. Its also a very good way to "tune your mind set". By beeing more agressive with the pole planting your entire sking becomes more agressive.

Atm I would compare your pole work to a "dead trout hand shake" and it goes hand in hand with the body language.

I dont want you to be swinging your arms around as thats one of the worst things I know but use your writs to plant them poles and do it proparly. Your not gonna hurt the snow so give it a good whack. There are people that say pole planting is for more advanced skiers. BS is my response to that the most important thing for a beginner/intermediate skier is to get the rythem into his/hers sking.

Good luck man.
Tex
ski holidays
OK, time to bump an old thread, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I think a lot of the venom has died down that there was last year, secondly it's a Friday so we need a laugh, and thirdly because of this...
Right click, save as, or just view it! 18MB - I think.

My pole plant is still non-existent. Let's see if we can have a few more constructive comments this time.
latest report
Can't believe what a crap skier you are. Tosspot.

Onre thing you were right on - It is Friday wink Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, flex, flex, flex !!

(there you are, that's 3 Little Angel ).
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Quite enjoyed that again. It bit more "motion", and a decent pole plant should see you just about there.

other observations:
1) It looks like a very nice piste
2) Your obviously enjoy your skiing immensely. Does anything else matter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy