Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Sorry mate, it's leg irons or VOODOO MAGIC.

Poster: A snowHead
Alignment:
Where do you start?

Hip inbalance.
Femual Rotation.
Femual Length descrepancy.
Knee problems.
Tibial length desrepancy
Tibial Rotation.
Over Pronation.
Supination.
AbDuction.
AdDuction.
Tibial Length/Boot Length/Boot Width.
Flexibility/Stiffeness(lack of dorsilflexion/too much dorsilflexion)
Cuff alighnment.
Ramp angle.
Binding setup.
Ski type.
Speed.
Accuracy of measurements.
Symetrical testing.
Snow density/Resistance.
Hydration/Nutrition.
etc
etc
etc
etc
A piece of string, attatched to the client 70-80 cm long, then attached to a plomb to measure fractions of a dergree........................ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-09-06 13:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't that all be fixed over the internet? rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor, I thought some people on here might like to try and put the list in order, quite amazing when you consider how much margin for inaccuracy there is. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
aren't these the answer to all these problems (and with a Hendrix theme)?

Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, hmmm I see your point. I suggest shaving 3mm off your left footbed heal piece.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reel 'em in, move 'em out...Rawhide...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, I said the problem was with my right foot, don't you listen/read/digest anything? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alignment:
Where do you start?

Put your left leg in,
your left leg out,
In,
out.
In,
out.
Shake it all about.

It's quite easy, can't see why SZK is confused.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, oh rob's being doin' the cokey... oh rob's being doin' the cokey...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, I'm becomming predictable? Tedious? What is it, my aftershave? Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, ...drool...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, Your Cartman/Homer Simpson all rolled into one hilarious ski cartoon. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is a neat pair of snowboards

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I feel honoured. I think i have all of thhe top 10.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I bet you soon notice when they're on the wrong feet.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, I think your bindings aren't quite on straight. Does that make it easier for you to make wedge turns? Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Not bad for a lump of slush, admittadly alot of the points are often symptoms of the others, however i feel you'll need to be an expert in all fields to measure them all accuratly, then asimilate the results, perscribe a correction and then TEST it, Symetrically!

I prefer using a chocolate fire guard to shield me from the wind whilst i PI$$, wearing my astronaughts suit. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alignment:
Where do you start?

Put your left leg in,
your left leg out,
In,
out.
In,
out.
Shake it all about.

It's quite easy, can't see why SZK is confused.

If you can shake it all about, the boot is too big! Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you forgot the amount of alcohol in bloodstream Laughing
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Arno, I bet you soon notice when they're on the wrong feet.

yep - the hendrix graphic wouldn't match up at all!

actually, I culled the from another forum where they were discussing mounting skis with a "duck stance". the skis belong to some Swedish dude
ski holidays
Arno,

Them's bow legs them are...!!!
ski holidays
Quote:
wedge turns
= pizza turns, depending on which State or eaterie you're in.
snow report
http://www.ski-mastery.com/article2.htm
snow report
V8, help me out here, whatcha saying?

Start at the ankles & get the ski flat when the ankle is in 'neutral'?
snow report
veeeight, if youve ever met the guy from ski mastery you would understand the sceptisism Little Angel
snow conditions
Deary me I hadn't noticed the offset Vists (?). Given we're getting reverse side cuts for powder, soon we'll be skimming down the slopes on discs, no?

Please, back to nice long skinny skis that you actually have to learn to use!
snow conditions
I just posted that link because I came across it on google, SZK was muttering that he thought it was a predominantly US thing, not european. I've got no knowledge of ski mastery, what caught my eye was Mark Jones of BASI appearing in that article.

For me - it all starts by observing the subject skiing. If all the correct mechanics are there, but no performance from the skis, then something else is amiss.

I taught a lady from Knutsford last season, she could not for the life of her engage her edges to do an edgeset in an aggressive hockey stop. Her boots were compromising her alignment so much that she could not achieve the critical edge angle.
snow report
CEM, we are taught to avoid genetic fallacies.
snow report
veeeight, Bernie used to be a partner with Mark in Mountain Masters before setting up Ski Mastery.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, to be fair to Berni, he has had some good successes...he just goes on a bit Little Angel
snow report
CEM, A bit?!? Laughing
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
veeeight, to be fair to Berni, he has had some good successes...he just goes on a bit Little Angel

Berni gave a talk about alignment at a Phil Smith/Snoworks course last season in Tignes. Seemed very passionate about his work!
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, yeh,

Berni is very passionate about what he does, that is not a bad thing.........trouble is he does preach it a bit to the guys in the trade (and not just once a season)

personally i find him a good guy who is trying to improve peoples skiing (isn't that what it is all about) i just wouldn't want his phone bill Shocked Shocked Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have all of them, plus smelly feet.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alignment:
A piece of string, attatched to the client 70-80 cm long, then attached to a plomb to measure fractions of a dergree........................ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SZK. I'm curious. Is it alignment per se that you have issues with, or the sloppiness of the measuring?

I ask because my experience is that there's alot of skepticism from people I know about alignment adjustment, but those same people still set their ski edges to 88 degrees for icier days. And swear that that 1 degree of base bevel makes all the difference...

It strikes me that there's a more important question here - the one that leads people to alignment. It's certainly the one that lead me to try it - even though I found the process, frankly, farcical.

I think the more important question is - "Given a pair of ski boots that fit and a pair of skis I like, what, if anything, can I do to maximise the performance of that kit?"

I'd appreciate people's views on this because, frankly, I haven't got a clue. Puzzled
ski holidays
Just ask yourself; do your skis seem to have a life of their own on drag lifts (especially when sharing a T-bar), does your inside ski try to trip you up in deeper snow, do you find it hard to get any kind of carve at all off the inside ski?

If the answer is yes, then it could be that you're knock kneed and don't know it. If so, shove a bit of cerial packet cardboard under yer footbed or get some bloke to grid bits off the bottom of yer best shoes.

Worked for me, I had it done, and ever since I've run out of excuses for skiing badly.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Given the margins for error, the further you get from the snow contact point the greater the chance for mistakes. LARGEZOOKEEPER has just returend back from Chile, where i belive he has had maybe the most sucessful tests he's had to date. Symmetrical testing is so difficult it's hard to attribute alignment adjustments to improvements.
It would seem in light of WTFH-Gate, most skiers need to focus on other issues as they will NEVER ski the same piste or control two turns the same.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, which "Gate" is that, and was it on a slalom course? Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 11-09-06 13:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I like your style marc gledhill!

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
PhillipStanton, Given the margins for error, the further you get from the snow contact point the greater the chance for mistakes.

That seems entirely reasonable and isn't something I'd thought of.

But I probably wasn't clear enough with the question.

If alignment is pants - then what in my boot / ski setup is worth looking at. If anything?
snow report
PhillipStanton, there was another thread about instruction, where some suggested that technique was the key. So, rather than correct alignment issues, just use technique to muscle your way past them. (I do not subscribe to that school of teaching)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 11-09-06 13:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:
For me - it all starts by observing the subject skiing. If all the correct mechanics are there, but no performance from the skis, then something else is amiss.

And my earlier quote above kinda goes along with SZK's last paragraph.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy