Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to learn

Poster: A snowHead
We are taking to 50 year old first time ever skiers to Arc 1950 in Jan, since its many moons since I learnt to ski ,
can any one advise of the best place to send them for lessons over there (or here, although I think to steer clear of dry slopes) that wont put them off. Puzzled
jan h
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janicehowle, not sure Arc 1950 is the best place though you can learn anywhere. I think your choice of ski schools there will be limited! so I'd definitely go for private lessons and ensure the instructor's English is up to it! I'd also definitely start with at least a couple of days at Xscape Castleford (or Milton Keynes) on their learn to ski in a day (or two half day) course plus a little practice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spirit 1950 is a small ski school located in Arc 1950. They are developing a good reputation, and seem very focused on good customer service. Lots of easy terrain around Arc 1950 and Arc 2000, so I think its a good place to learn.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
janicehowle, Lessons in the UK first. No sure about the 'Learn to ski in a day' thing - they are really tiring. Most slopes offer 2 hour lessons on a weekly basis... these turn out better skiers than the one-day packages. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your party is based around Staffs I'd assume Tamworth is the obvious choice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Spirit 1950 in resort. Really good to deal with and decent instructors too.

Mind you I bought the girls in the office a big cake to share and we tipped well, so we might have been given an extra good service.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely lessons in the UK first, they then have a fighting chance of enjoying their holiday abroad!

The one day learn to ski in a day courses are very good - if you've got the stamina and energy.

Looking at the ages, I would reccommend 1 hour lessons, or at a push, the 2 hour combi lessons on offer at Tamworth.

But even then they might be struggling if they end up in a group of 10 able-bodies 18 - 20 year olds.

So, ultimitely, for the 50+'s - I would heartily reccommend a private lesson for them both (same price, 1 or 2 people).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-08-06 11:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janicehowle,

Since you seem to have decent referrals for the ski school, you might want to plan a bit of a get fit regime for them as well. It certainly will not hinder them..IMV
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can recommend Spirit 1950. My 16 year old had a one day private lesson with them (with a seriously cool instructor) at a cost of €310. Spirit 1950 are really easy to deal with and all three of our kids rated the instruction very highly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
janicehowle, if you are considering Tamworth, I'd advise you actually go for a ski there yourself and get a first hand view of the quality of the snow and facilities before you commit. I had noted your location when I suggested the Xscapes. I think everyone's right about the learn to ski in a day though - unless good 'n fit, probably for 2 fifty-somethings, 2 hours per session would really be about right to start with. Depending on fitness, it is perfectly possible to get good enough to do unsupervised practise on the main slope of these places after 4 hours tuition. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I learnt at 50 (nearly 51), I struggled with balance (ie standing up without going rear end over front end) but not fitness (and I am neither Adonis nor gym-freak) , I did 2 hr private lessons every day (real snow in France) and practiced every afternoon for 12-ish days -- at the end of the period I had improved - a bit.

Sorry , no advice about location , but do consider private lessons for them together.

I love these stories of 'Learning to ski in a day', some of you must be brilliant - or I'm useless .. I still classify myself as a Learner/Beginner.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eEvans, Indoor Slopes definition of "Learning to Ski" in a Day is only to reach of level of competency where they will allow you on their slope unsupervised. In practise this is really just being able to control your speed, stop and use the lifts. However it does give you a bit of a head start as at least after lessons on the first couple of days on the mountain you can get around a bit on your own rather than just snowploughing down the nursery slope.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, Fair point but that took me more than a day Embarassed Embarassed , in fact speed control, t-bars and stopping properly are still issues Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janicehowle, Pity you've already arranged a Jan holiday as I'm running an over 50's learn to ski week in March! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Looking at the ages, I would reccommend 1 hour lessons, or at a push, the 2 hour combi lessons on offer at Tamworth

Just come across this thread, and can't help joining in, if only with a belated welcome to Snowheads, Janice. I think the advice above is a bit pessimistic, it all depends on whether the people concerned are reasonably fit. I did a snowboard "learn in a day" at MK at 58 and survived - and that is far more strenuous than the similar ski day, because of the amount of falling entailed. My sister in law (49...) did the ski course, and she is not very fit at all, but she enjoyed it a lot and learnt to ride a poma. She had only one little fall during the day! We live a long way away and a series of shorter lessons wasn't an option. I'm not super fit by any means and ached like boogery for days after, because of the falls, especially catching a rear edge and catapulting backwards onto my head (helmets are compulsory for all the courses). At the end of a one day course they would know whether it was something they wanted to carry on doing, or not and, if they feel knackered afterwards it will give them a good incentive to get themselves fitter before the holiday. They won't take any notice of any good advice unless they've felt it for themselves! Good luck with your holiday, janicehowle, let us know how you get on.
snow report
janicehowle wrote:
We are taking to 50 year old first time ever skiers to Arc 1950 in Jan, since its many moons since I learnt to ski ,
can any one advise of the best place to send them for lessons over there (or here, although I think to steer clear of dry slopes) that wont put them off. Puzzled
jan h

A Dry Slope should be OK to start learning on. If you have a local one maybe pop down to watch how the beginners lessons are ran. With a decent instructor you shouldn't really be falling over. I guess the same goes with an indoor slope. Anything you can do in the UK will give lots of benefit when you go on holiday.
ski holidays
janicehowle,

Quote:

or here, although I think to steer clear of dry slopes) that wont put them off.

Nusery slopes at most dryslopes are now covered in a carpet material, rather than the matting (think it's called Snowflex) . It's a great surface for beginners - no more holes to catch thumbs. It doesn't hurt to fall on, and allows beginners to ski positively from the start.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy