Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flumserberg - whats it like

Poster: A snowHead
I have some friends who live nearby to Flumserberg and am planning a family trip with four children to the area over New Year (been here before but only in summer). I am looking at the Cristal Hotel www.cristal-flumserberg.ch ifanyone knows it and could pass comment I'd be grateful. Most importantly whats the skiing like ? Best airport to fly to (I assume its Zurich but are there any obscure regional ones I should know of). Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can't believe nobodys been there, at least its going to be quiet and uncrowded! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not been but you could use Zurich or Friedrichshafen airports.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ice perv, Thanks, Freidrichshafen is quite cheap with Ryanair when I looked this afternoon but I'd still like a bit more info on the ski area. Davos is not a long way away I think and may be a possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know east Switz well. I don't think Flumserberg is that large but there must be a resort website if you google. It may be big enough to keep you interested for a week, it may not. Looking at a map the nearest large area looks to be Lenzerheide-Valbella, which is just beyond Chur. Have a look at:

http://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/?lang=en
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty, sadly it's far from quiet and uncrowded, especially at Xmas. Thing is it's on a direct train line from Zurich so the world and his wife go there from the city as it's the closest place with excellent public transport links. It's also more appropriate for day trips than to spend a week I'd have thought. Given the choice I'd look a bit further afield to Flims/Laax (also easy for transport) or someone put a link to Braunwald the other day with a hotel that is ideal for children
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17524

Here you go - the 3rd post, by Ray Zorro, is of parituclar interest (you don't say how old the children are btw)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch, Thanks, just what I needed, I had read elsewhere that its busy at week-ends. I had done a search but missed Ray's post which is a very helpful thread. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, The children are between 2 and 7 this place sounds perfect
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, Nessy could probably tell you more about Flumserberg, if he's around, because I believe he tends to go there because of his kids. But the place in Braunwald sounded ideal for people with kids. Braunwald is v small (only 32 km of piste) but further back down the valley is Elm which has a nother 40 km of pistes and looks like it's about an hour from Braunwald by train and bus. Braunwald has the advantage of being a fairly "undiscovered" part of Switzerland so it will be pretty authentic
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty, there are lots of photos on the website. I have never been anywhere quite so child-orientated but at the same time making it really enjoyable for the adults (I partticularly enjoyed the 7 course evening meal). The only slight negative is that most of the children will be Swiss and primarily German speaking. The owners speak very good English though.

As eng_ch, says, the skiing area is quite small, but even at peak times, it doesn't get too busy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frostytalking of Flumserberg
+ chairs everywhere and plenty of 4 man lifts => easier when skiing with small kids
+ plenty of gentle wide terrain
+ efficient lifts mean queueing is rare. The one queue prone lift (Prodkamm) is being replaced by the first 8 seater chair in CH
+ easy to get to without a car - if you are taking luggage get the bus up from Flums - it will be a bit slower than the gondola but you will probably have to walk less
+ The Leist mountain is reasonably steep and is not so crowded thanks to a slow old 2 man chair
+ Ski school is well equipped for kids and there are lots of English speaking instructors.

- Can get really busy on the piste even though the lift queues are not too bad.
- Not sure what childcare there is for under 3s. The creche never ran whenever we wanted to use it.
- Bit expensive (lift pass, lessons etc.) compared to other local areas.

Davos, Laax, Lenzerheide are not that far away. Arosa is very family friendly, never crowded and has a fairly spectacular train journey up from Chur. All these places are day-trippable from Zurich - even by public transport
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nessy, Ray Zorro, eng_ch, Thanks guys very helpful, I'm mailing the Brandwald hotel for availability (it was the cow that did it for Mrs Frosty, she almost cried rolling eyes).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another thing in the favour of Flumserberg (and probably Braunwald as well): this region may not be high but it does attract snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nessy, Ray Zorro, eng_ch, Hotels and flights booked for New Years eve I'll let you know what its like. I think there is another area called "Elm" nearby that has a reasonable ski area to perhaps visit.
ski holidays
Frosty, I am sure you will have a great time snowHead . I will look out for your comments when you get back Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy