Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please Help - Wanted! Family snowsure resort 4 Xmas

Poster: A snowHead
My first post - and i need help

I want to take the family to the Alps for Christmas

We are looking for a White Christmas with a day or 2 to try skiing

Kids 5 & 2 - I did like Morzine unitl i saw the altitude and not the gaurentee of snow

So if anyone one knows of a good resort - Snowsure and a family Hotel

We would really appreciate the advise

Thanks

Crow Family [/u][/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I started skiing in Obergugl (Austria) as an early teen. Its high, traditional, expensive but we did a couple of Christmasses there.
We used to drive (via North Sea Ferry) & stay in a hotel (gasthof Muhle) in Untergurgl - a short drive to Obergurgl or Hochgurgl.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads CrowJersey,

An option that worked well for us was to a very nice 4* hotel in Switzerland whose owners were so family orientated that it was a real children's playground (Maerchen hotel in Braunwald - a small resort 2hrs by train from Zurich). There was a swimming pool with monkey bars over the top + slide into it, a separate babypool, a huge games room (for kids of all ages), another room with bouncy castles, if you did want to ski, there was the free use of a nanny in the hotel to look after any non-skiing kids in the mornings, my children loved the fact that there was a slide from 1st to ground so they didn't have to go down the stairs, there was a storytime (by the hotel owner - in English and German), and the thing my kids really loved was that at breakfast you got your milk by twisting the udders of a full-size wooden cow in the dining room. The hotel laid on free use of a horse and cart to take the kids the 500m to the ski slopes (there and back). The details are here , in case you or any others are interested. There was lots for the adults too, including a wellness centre and excellent food.

Braunwald was a small resort and not busy. It isn't a high resort, but recent history is that the east of Switzerland/Austria has had better early season snow than France. (Of course that may not be the same this year).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CrowJersey,
Welcome to snowHead

Hmmmnnnn, very difficult to say... I'd assume that the idea of Xmas in the alpes with family has a romantic ideal attached.

No one can give you snow garauntees and the best chance is to go high to a resort with a glacier. As it is a family trip rather than a typical holiday you could choose a family type resort like Wengen in Switzerland, picture post card in snow and pretty out of it. there should be enough snow at that time to satisfy a curiosity even if it wouldn't be the skier's ideal.. It doesn't have a glacier by the way, but ticks other boxes. Besides, you may be lucky and we get a bumper year early.

How many days for the trip, flying from where, or alternative travel, bare in mind that most hotels are HB etc...!!!

Resorts that cater for the non-skiing, or rather not totally dominated by the skiing would be...off the top of my head.. Zermatt, Wengen and Megeve. Maybe Saas Fee is a good choice but I haven't bent here.

Lots of reading to be done and there should be loads of ideas on here to work through...Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CrowJersey, I have just noticed that at the bottom of the hotel website there is a link to here which is a listing of family/kids hotels in Switzerland.

There is a drop dow menu with a list of resorts/hotels.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro,

Absolutely brilliant .... Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Firstly thanks for all you prompt replies

I was hoping to stay n France, Mainly due to the drive as we live in Jersey and would face a 10 hr drive even to Portes du Soliel area, we just want that white christmas, family kind of thing as its only me who skis (Badly)

Looking at the comments it seem higher the better!!!!

But any feedback back is geatfully recieved
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CrowJersey, you could try La Rosiere, it's high - 1850 metres and has a very good snow record. For a family hotel I would recommend Le Relais du Petit St Bernard, it's a 2 star family run hotel right back the main lifts, so it's ski in-ski out. La Rosiere is also a great resort for children and there are always lots of activities over Xmas, Santa on his sleigh with small gifts for tiny guests etc. If you want info on La Rosiere, go to www.larosiere.net, the hotel can be contacted on 0033 4 70 06 80 48 or www.petit-saint-bernard.com, we always use it for guests who want an extra night or so in the village. La Rosiere is not a difficult drive from Paris, autoroute all the way to Alberville and a reasonable road from there to Bourg St Maurice, with just the final 23kms up to the village on mountain roads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CrowJersey, I'm a bit concerned that your younger child is only 2, which is probably too young to start skiing (most of the local kids start at around 2.5 or 3). Also it can be very cold in December. You could go by train or by air, rather than just drive. Austria or Switzerland is more atmospheric at Christmas (sorry to say it).Ray Zorro,s hotel sound perfect for your needs. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the concern

But its not planned as a Ski Holiday - we just want to be in the snow for Christmas - walk out the door and there snow

The kids can Taboggon!! And we Have to Drive

As i said i like Morzine but thinks its a bit risky that time of year!!!!

CrowJersey
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you don't want a ski holiday, why go to a ski resort? It's going to be peak-season expensive, quite possibly not a lot else to do, and everything will revolve around skiing. You could feel a bit left out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard,

the poster said he is a skier and wants to go skiing for a day or so and implies he gently wants to intorduce the family to skiing..!!!!
It isn't supposed to be the be-all and end-all tho'''''''
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to Saas Fee over New Year and it very Alpine, get the impression that they're more into New Year than Christmas. It's an old village surrounded by spectacularly pointy mountains, it's v. high (2300m) so fairly snow sure. It's about the same drive time from Geneva (2.5 hours) as Val Thorens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CrowJersey, Monetier-les-Bains in Serre Chevalier is at 1500m and should have snow in the village (it did last year), there is a toboggan area at the bottom of the slopes, and lots of walks and cross-country skiing. You can also take a horse-drawn sleigh-ride It is a traditional village and there are several hotels in the village with family rooms, the Rif Blanc is being entirely refurbished for the Winter and is under new ownership. The Hotel Alliey is very pretty, and has apartments as well as hotel rooms, and a swimming pool. The eldest child can learn to ski with a British instructor (Eurekaski.com), and there's the hot springs for relaxation for the adults. It is also only a short transfer from Turin or Grenoble airports (1.5-2hrs maximum). Briancon, a walled town at the bottom of the valley is also worth a visit. Santa is always around on Christmas Eve.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hoppo, Saas Fee is about as snow sure as it gets, it has a glacier after all, but is about 1800m.

Height is not the be all and end all for December. Last year, Morzine and other low bits of the PdS were better than Val d'Isere etc. It's easier to cover grassy pasture than high altitude rockiness.

Try PM'ing Chris Brookes, he regularly drives from Jersey to Muerren in Switzerland, so he may be able to give you a good steer.
ski holidays
Brian Thanks for the Post, Good to hear about Morzine

Ski CLub GB only gave me info for last year 50 cms on the lower slopes

So i think i might take the chance and hope - Morzine is just such an easy drive and at worst theres always Avoriaz to go to

Thanks for the advice

And i dont konw how or what PM'ing is but will try to find out
snow report
Brian Thanks for the Post, Good to hear about Morzine

Ski CLub GB only gave me info for last year 50 cms on the lower slopes

So i think i might take the chance and hope - Morzine is just such an easy drive and at worst theres always Avoriaz to go to

Thanks for the advice

And i dont konw how or what PM'ing is but will try to find out
snow report
CrowJersey, at the top of the screen, just below the snowHeads logo, you'll see an option to send or receive messages. This allows you to exchange Private Messages with other snowHeads. snowHead
ski holidays
CrowJersey, click the 'Send/Read messages' link just under the Snowheads logo. Put in the members name you want to contact and post your message. Or use this link
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/privmsg.php?mode=post
latest report
CrowJersey, welcome to Snowheads,great to see another Bean here wink

We drive each year to Switzerland which only takes an extra hour onto your journey so dont limit yourself to France !

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 20-08-06 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, you popped up from nowhere!!!
latest report
CrowJersey, now makes it the third person from Jersey on Snowheads Exclamation
snow conditions
Chris Brookes - I have sent you a PM, I use to work with Emma
ski holidays
CrowJersey, lol....its a small world Justin wink
latest report
Snow sure... try Val Thorens. Not a pretty resort though, mostly above the tree line so it can be rather exposed. If you get good weather the views are mignificent and there will be snow!

You may have difficulty in getting short breaks in any ski resort. They tend to want a weeks minimum booking.

Good luck..
latest report
CrowJersey, I know some of the Monetier hotels will take less than seven day bookings. Our friends stayed in the Hotel Europe for 4 nights over New Year, and Christmas is usually a bit quieter.
latest report
Why not do the whole meet father Xmas thing in Lapland? I have heard very good things about these people. laplandexperience.com. I don't know if they do Xmas at Xmas as it were but it certainly looks a lot of fun and is on my family things to do list.
snow report
Chris Brookes, even if the FC in Lapland idea doesn't appeal (or even makes you fell physically ill), Scandaswegia might be a good wheeze for a Chritmas skiing hol. Norway and Sweden have resorts which are marketed as family friendly and although they are low, I think (but I'm not sure) that snow at Christmas is likely. Not too handy for Jersey, though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CrowJersey,

Assume you will drive past Paris... Most of the Bernese resorts should be with in 8 hrs from there, easily.
I would think 8 hrs would get you as far as most resorts in the Valais... maybe not Saas Fee or Zermatt...the latter being car-free anyway...you'd have to complete by train.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did Christmas in Morzine one year and although there wasn't masses of snow there was enough to make it a white Christmas, there was plenty of choice for skiing and because it's a proper place rather than a purpose built resort there are things for non-skiers to do. We drove there and having the car would mean you could go elsewhere easily during your stay as well. The telecabines out of Morzine can be used by pedestrians so if the snow line is higher than Morzine you can easily take the children up - crepes sitting outside the mountain restaurant at the top of Super Morzine telecabine on Christmas morning were excellent looking at the snowy view. Father Christmas visited our chalet at breakfast on Christmas morning and the children staying there loved it.
snow conditions
CrowJersey, have you decided yet ?
latest report
I was thinking Les Gets so very pleased to read about good chancve of snow in Morzine Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy