Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire prices

brian
brian
.... and for the French side, there are petrol stations on the French side of the border just beyond the customs post at Ferney.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brian
I think that Agip is the one just before Parking 51 - it takes SFr10/20 notes and credit cards (which are better for an exact top-up).

Will try the Ibis ones this weekend - thanks!
Boswell
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the garage tips Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a great believer in going with the same firm all the time where possible. Most operators use franchises in smaller destinations and most franchisees will try to take the p*&s. If you are a proven regular with the 'brand', any problems brought to head office's attention will usually be resolved quickly in your favour. I've been using Hertz where possible for years. I get a small discount through the British Mountaineering Council - which generally makes them competitive. But the USP is that any problems can generally be sorted out after the event with "I'm a regular customer and if you don't sort this out I'll never use you again". Example: three years ago - booked a Hertz car plus snow chains. Arrived - no chains. A week later - huge dump, had to buy chains to get out of the resort. Surrendered chains at airport. Wrote to Hertz = refund of cost of chains (EURO 50).

OK - you can save a few quid going with the local cowboys. But will you be able to play the loyalty card?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with your principle, Stevo, but it does also work for anyone if your consistent. I've just had to sort out a problem with Holiday Autos and they were gracious enough to offer up that I'd hired a car many times before and that they'd give me the benefit of the doubt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Although we have used many differnet methods of booking, we have nearly always had hire at the other end through Avis(edit-oops sorry, Alamo). The guy on the desk now recognises us, and had upgraded us on the last two occasions, we lalso weren't charged in the winter for the snow tyres and chains.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-09-06 18:53; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Autoeurope (Geneva) hit me for 800 Euros a couple of years ago, because one of the windscreen wipers packed up on a trip to Courmayeur! I argued (after the event) that this was their 'maintenance' not my 'damage', which they eventually agreed and refunded the 800, but currency chages still left me about £60 out of pocket which took another round of argument with Barclaycard to resolve. eventually I got a full credit, including the interest B/C had charged me on the balance. I have NEVER used Autocar Europe since.

With regard to holiday Autos (great link PhillipStanton, cheapest I've seen) Does anyone know if the 'snow pack (at 115 Euros!) is required? Looking at their prices from Grenoble they are cheap without it, but with it they are expensive. Is it just snow chains or what?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, I would imagine they are snowtyres and chains. All cars at geneva have them fitted in the winter, but it isn't compulsory for French hire cars, although you have to carry chains. We have been charges 6CHF per day before at Geneva, but were not charged at all last winter. You can always buy some chains from a garage, but it's a risk getting the right ones. Some guests at our apartment last year got to Grenoble, and there were no chains left for their car. They did manage to buy some though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan, I've never booked the winter pack when booking at Geneva, but I've always had winter tyres and chains on the cars I've been given. Unfortunately the only occasion last season when snow tyres weren't sufficient the chains in the boot were the wrong size!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Boswell wrote:
Brian
I think that Agip is the one just before Parking 51 - it takes SFr10/20 notes and credit cards (which are better for an exact top-up).

Yep, I was there yesterday, realised my directions above were slightly wrong Embarassed

It's the lane to the right of the car rental return lane. not the left. Follow the sign for "P51-Illimité".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, try www.carhire3000.com found them through Helens www.travelsupermarket.com site last year and were brilliant. Hire was through National/Alamo at Geneva. Alsofind the cheapest price on there, then ring them up, the price may have gone up by then but they'll honour the price and explain the differences between geneva side and swiss side to work out which is the cheapest and which side has the best car for the money.

Not sure if this link will work for you but may do, and would get you even more off through it as it's a mail shot i got a few weeks back: http://www.carhire3000.com/Worldwide/special_offers/offers2.html?affiliateCode=UK_offers&adplat=email&adcamp=NewAug&adco=18

Telephone number 00800 4473 3000 (international free phone number) or +44 161 836 6707

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 3-09-06 11:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also there are plenty of petrol stations on the road through geneva (when you don't have that pass that allows you to go on the motorways) just outside the airport to fill up with fuel..............or so i seem to remember Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tescos clubcard vouchers can get you Avis rentals in Europe for 25% normal price. Not the cheapest rental company, but if you've got enough to pay for most of the price it works out very well. Looks like you might need about £85 plus worth of vouchers for 10 days in december from the Swiss side of GVA. Or you can use the points for valet parking at Heathrow... really really cheap.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
or you can forget the car hire, and drive to the Alps, using your Tesco vouchers for your Eurotunnel crossing. Every pound of vouchers is worth £4 off your crossing fare.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Holiday Autos now seem to charge £2-50/day to cover the excess, which may be worth it, unless you're doing dozens of trips and the annual policy looks good.

I still think checking with whoever you book with about closing times could be a major point - it's not a comfortable airport to spend the night.

Boswell
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
who has the best prices for car hire in america.
latest report
When I have put in a late arrival before, it usually tells you when the desk closes. Also, if you call the hire company before you leave the UK, when you know you will be late, Alamo will wait for you. I have heard him talking to customers before when we were waiting for our car.
latest report
Dan, thanks for the link. Another one to check when comparing prices Smile
snow report
Chains drive me crazy - somehow it's always 0200 in the morning, starting up some mountain, collar full of snow, shoes leaking, boots in a buried suitcase, getting soaked in slush etc. etc. and all the systems I've tried are different.

Does any car-hire outfit offer 4WD at a reasonable price? Last time I tried it was out-of-sight, but there are many basic standard vehicles with 4WD these days - does anyone offer a reasonable price?

GVA again for me, but maybe some company's seen the light.

Boswell
snow report
Boswell, a decent set of winter tyres makes chains unnecessary in all but the worst of road conditions.
snow report
Boswell, last March we booked a car through Holiday Autos. When we arrived at GVA, they gave us a free upgrade to a 4WD, it would be Alamo, and it was a Hyundai they gave us, not as good as our own, but it got us over the Col du Lauteret in a blizzard on the return journey, and along the Maurienne valley in heavy snow on the way there. I think we'd booked a small estate or Focus type. All the HA prices I quoted above included the 2.50 insurance excess payment. I agree with Rob, that we have never had to use the chains if we have the snowtyres, regardless of 2wd or 4wd.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, that carhire3000 link, if you get an emailed quote and then don't proceed, they usually send you a link for the same car at a reduced price a couple of weeks later. We used them last October, and we got our car with Avis on that occasion.
ski holidays
Rob, are you sure? I've had some reasonably pushing-up-daisy experiences on our mountain roads over the last few winters, even with 4WD.

On top of that, and shoot me down if I'm wrong, chains or 4WD are compulsory in Switzerland (or at least in Vaud) on any mountain road that I've seen, depending on surface conditions. The notice boards are everywhere, with road conditions, chain/snowflake symbols etc. or was I hallucinating? Fines are eyewatering as well.

Plus, of course, traditional local driving eccentricities: tail-gating 4mm off one's backside; overtaking and swerving in 1m off your front bumper at 130km/hr (in any weather conditions); while I was overtakng a coach last week, on a two lane mountain road, some dork overtook both of us when I was alongside the coach; nuns on motorbikes on blind corners. I quite often just pull off in a layby to let the maniacs zap past.

Boswell
ski holidays
Boswell wrote:
Rob, are you sure? I've had some reasonably pushing-up-daisy experiences on our mountain roads over the last few winters, even with 4WD.

I can't see that it's worth the expense of hiring a 4x4 when winter tyres (and a set of chains in the boot, as insurance) will get you just about everywhere for a fraction of the cost.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But French diesel is cheaper than Swiss.
Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy