Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help wanted - Londoner downshifting to the Mountains ...

Poster: A snowHead
Hope someone on this site might be able to help me - I am a journalist based in London and I'm researching a piece for the Evening Standard about Londoners who have left reasonably high-flying/highly-paid jobs in the capital to pursue their dream somewhere abroad. I'd love to hear from anyone who has relatively recently (ie in the past two years) given up London to go to the mountains and make a living somehow out of snow -- either by running a chalet, ideally, or a ski shop or becoming a ski instructor or whatever.

If you are interested in being interviewed/featuring in a story - please respond to this topic or send me a private message.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Upton, Welcome to snowHead

Do you ski?

PS I cant help you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Upton,

Welcome

Sounds like a job for DM and S,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Upton, welcome to snowHead!

Upton wrote:
Londoners who have left reasonably high-flying/highly-paid jobs in the capital to pursue their dream somewhere abroad. I'd love to hear from anyone who has relatively recently (ie in the past two years) given up London to go to the mountains and make a living somehow out of snow

Well, I didn't live IN London, but not too far from it. I gave up a job there to move CLOSER to the hills, but am doing pretty much the same thing.

I know a guy who moved to the mountains and makes a living out of snow, but he's in Columbia at the minute getting a few kgs to bring back and cut... Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Upton, Downshifting! I lived in London 96-97, all i can see now after 6 years here is that Chamonix has become, 'Little London on the Hill." There is a real story here in Cham', but i think it may have already been reported one or two times.
P.M. if you like, i'd like to light a small fire here and there. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Upton, We might be a little leftfield for you but we're "side shifting" in that Sophie has found a job in Geneva (to be nearer the mountains), I'm taking my job with me over to Geneva (29 September!) but at same time we've sold up in London and bought 3 apartments to rent in Chamonix (which we are renovating at the moment (hopefully) in time for the winter).

(Thanks JT).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, It can't be little London on the Hill without "Sophie's Steakhouse", the "Admiral Codrington", inter alia...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:

Sounds like a job for DM and S,

Sounds like a job for DG and Tamsin to me !

Reminds me I forgot to pick up the 'SubStandard Lite' freesheet at lunchtime. Still, I have not started on 'Metro' yet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Upton, I left London for the Scottish Highlands to get seriously into skiing, but this seems to be off your geographical agenda!

It was 32 years ago, so the story might not shift tomorrow's papers.

Hope you get a response - that kind of stuff is always fun to read.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PM sent.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent. Which mountains have you sent Blair to, and is he adequately clothed?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
His moobies could act as air bags when he crashes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
*** [First use of the word "moobies" on snowHeads since its inception in Feb 2004, possibly because no one else is erudite enough to know what it means. Myself included]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

I know a guy who moved to the mountains and makes a living out of snow, but he's in Columbia at the minute getting a few kgs to bring back and cut... Laughing

Well, tell him he might have a bit more luck in Colombia rather than Columbia
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hels_t, I think he was stopping off at the clothing manufacturer on the way Wink
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, They are the things that man grow on their chests. If ladies have boobs, then man boobs = moobs = moobies. Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
.............. the press comment regarding Tony Blair's alleged 'moobies' being directly related to his recent appointment of a minister for making everyone thinner. I make the rash assumption that she will start by sending John 'Two Chins' Prescott to Weightwatchers.
snow conditions
My missus gave up being an a Magic Circle lawyer to move to Switzerland where she ran operations for Powder Byrne and then Flexiski for 2 consecutive seasons. However, she then went back to law, still in Switzerland and we now live in the mountains near Zurich, with an apartment in Verbier, and she skis about 60 days a year...

This may not quite qualify, but one thing is for sure we will not be moving back to London any time soon if we can help it!! (We do have a house there still though...)

Good luck with the article, it is probably not writing itself as a result of the input from us lot!! snowHead
ski holidays
Upton, moving to the mountains to make a living after a high paid job in London is like... being Superman and stripped of his powers!
PM if you want more info.
snow report
...it could be me...

Don't worry, I'll let you all know if it is... Wink
ski holidays
Word is that if you buy a copy of the Evening Standard tomorrow Ski Extra should be featured in the Homes & Property section...
snow conditions
parlor, Once a chalet pimp..................................... wink Laughing
snow report
Quote:

buy a copy of the Evening Standard tomorrow Ski Extra should be featured in the Homes & Property section...

parlor,
Do you want me to bring you a copy out next week Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Embarassed

Linds, snowHead yes please.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, It can't be little London on the Hill without "Sophie's Steakhouse", the "Admiral Codrington", inter alia...

chelsea boy!
latest report
why do they all do the same story? rolling eyes
snow conditions
easiski, cause it easy to copy anothers idea ?
snow conditions
easiski, we don't mind... Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, you managed to get yourself looking very respectable for that photo wink
snow report
Arno, amazing what you can do in photoshop these days Wink
snow report
For those of us in the boonies, is there any way for us to see the copy?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy