Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

infomation on high alttitude family resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i,m after some info on high alttitude family freindly resorts for the first week in april next year, i,v skied kitzsbuhel at this time before but it,s a bit of a gamble with the weather.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hendy, welcome to snowHead!

First week april?

Winter Park
Vail
Snowbird
Alta

to name a few. (and with Alta/bird you don't even need to stay that high)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs has plenty of high altitude skiing, as well as lots of pistes in the trees at a lower altitude (protected by snow cannons) in case the weather turns bad. The last couple of years I've skied there is the last week of April and there has been plenty of skiing available. There's a good range of piste skiing available, suitable for all the family, as well as lots of off-piste. Do you have any particular requirments to ensure the resort is family friendly?

Welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hendy, Welcome to snowHeads,

At that time (or later ) I have been to La Rosiere/La Thuile, 3 Valleys and Hintertux. Next year I am going that week myself and looking at Obertauern. Obergurgl would be good also, as would Ischgl.

I would think that there are still very good options for many places for that week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hendy, welcome to snowHead

I've skiied in Engelberg (3000m) and Davos (2900m) during the first week in April with no probs.

Skiied in Val T during the last week in April but the snow line was at resort level by then (2300m)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hendy, welcome to snowheads; La Rosiere is very good resort for families at high altitude - 1850 metres, it's also very snowsure, we had over 12 metres total snowfall last season and south facing. April skiing is usually a great time, long sunny days and usually good snow, the resort is scheduled to sty open until 27th April this season. We've often skied right down to the village in the last week of April with about 60cms of snow, this year there was still in the village until June. La Rosiere is the only resort in Savoie with international skiing, our domain is linked with La Thuile in Italy so you can ski France and Italy on the same lift pass.
If this is of interest, have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com you'll alkso find some reviews of La Rosiere in the resorts section of snowheads. At the moment we've only got 2 places left for the 1st week of April but we've plenty of space for the following weeks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saas-Fee would have to be a contender as well. It is very high, and it prides itself on being a family friendly resort. (In fact I see from their website that they've been awarded the "Families Welcome" seal of approval from the Swiss Tourism Federation). The ski area isn't terribly big though, so there might not be enough to keep you busy for a whole week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hendy, Here, of course! We're more family friendly than you might expect. Very high skiing (up to 3,600m), and I've never not been able to ski down to resort at the end of April - you do need to ski the black for this though. Very Happy Very Happy ps: we're cheaper than VD and 3V too!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hendy, I'd go along with Saas Fee - and I suspect Obergurgl must be good; it has its fans. Last season, Alpe D'Huez struck me as being very family oriented - there were a lot of families in the chalet hotel in which I was staying, the resort seemed geared up for families, and there was a large area suitable for all levels of skiing. And it gets a lot of sun.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hendy,

Have skied Les2alpes, Morzine/Avoriaz, and Val D with family (wife + 4 teens). Of these the Teens preferred Les2Alpes. Me and Mrs Axs enjoyed Val D (actually skiing mostly Tignes/Val Claret). Les2Alpes is certainly cheaper than Val.

WARNING - if you fancy Les2Alpes AVOID the Flocon D'or or Residence Du Soleil apartments. They are badly situated and poorly maintained. Can highly recommend Chalet Mounier (Hotel) which isn't very cheap but is very comfortable and convenient.

P.S. Have also skied Les2Alpes in August! Was more of a novelty than anything else, but you should be pretty safe in April! Very Happy

P.P.S Trying Les Arcs in April this year, (fingers crossed) Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, Yeah - spot on about those apartments - much too far from anything unless you come by car. Hotel Les melezes is good for a 2* (really 3*), and Lutins of course for B & B, cheap and cheerful, but decent rooms and just about the best placed hotel in resort! Hotel le Souleil'Or (3*) is very nice with fab grub and better placed than Chalet Mounier, but without an indoor pool. Mark Warner now have the 4* Hotel le Berangere which is ski in/out.

Both Pollyperks and Paul McK's apartments are well placed and sleep 4+, Aztec's apartment is bigger and also handy for lifts etc. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hendy, we've skied Saas-Fee, Obergurgl and also Geilo in Norway at this time. Geilo is not high, but is suffiently far north to have snow early in April.

I suggest you need to think what you want. Obergurgl can be great for families. The ski room of the Edelweis opens right on to the slopes and next to the ski school meeting place, but I think it isn't great for beginners. Saas-Fee is just amazing. It is great for beginners, but not so good if you are expert, unless you take a guide. There can be a fair amount of walking to the lifts unless you can get the hotel to take you to the lifts. Both Obergurgl and Saas-Fee have about 120 km of piste. Oh, and there's much more to do in Saas-Fee after the skiing, while in Obergurgl most visitors tuck themselves up in the hotels.

Geilo is something different. The slopes are not extensive, nor are they particularly difficult. They are, however, very "friendly" and great for beginners and those who have not been skiing long. Again there can be a bit of a walk to the slopes on one side, but there are lockers for hire. The other side at Vestlia is better for beginners and has a hotel right next to the slopes. The tour operators organise a number of rather different activites after the skiing - we got our own team of huskies to drive on one trip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We ski at Easter most years (school holidays). We have skied les arcs (very slushy by 2pm, very hot, very icy first thing, lots of bare patches, Serre Chevalier -(this varies from year to year , sometimes good, sometimes excellent, sometime slushy at the bottom, but never awful, and we;ve even had some fresh snow) . La Plagne (sunny and nice), Flaine (hot and slushy except at the top). Whistler was OK, but the flight was too long. I haven't skied in LDA at Easter , but I would say it would be good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have had good family skiing at Easter in Val d'Isere and La Tania, although both overrun by loud brits and feel cosmopolitain rather than French. Les Arcs good snow 2nd week of April right down to Plan Peisey at the southern end of the system, quieter nightlife. Zermatt in 3rd week of April was snowless in the town, and I was childless at the time so cannot comment on its family friendliness, but reports say its no a place to learn or be an early intermediate. Champoluc lovely Italian resort with some mild nightlife and pretty snowsure, but you may be bored by skiing the same very long runs day after day in dramatic scenery with friendly Italians. Good April snow, and lots of interesting off piste, some of which needs a guide. Les Deux Alpes seemd to be the perfect compromise last April

I would go back to Zermatt or Champoluc with my teenage kids, the bank manager would steer me to Champoluc. The (teenage) kids would go back to Val d'Isere or Courchevel but mightn't do a huge amount of skiing!

So we would end up in Les 2 Alpes I would think as an allround compromise
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
We have skied les arcs (very slushy by 2pm, very hot, very icy first thing, lots of bare patches,

Is this a sample size of n=1?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy