Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer with a bad leg - Board or Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Mate (hubby of the friend we took to Cas) has been back to Cas for lessons with the rest of the family. He is having great difficulty turning right. He suffered a bad left leg motorbike injury (smashed knee and badly broken femur) and that side doesnt work too well. He can skateboard quite well and an instructor sugested boarding instead.
Any thoughts or experiences anyone.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, Lad i work with did the same, on both a motorbike, and last winter, a snowboard. It is possible, in smoe cases to fix Ski Boots to accomodate similar problems.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

and last winter, a snowboard

Shocked Shocked Shocked I guess thts one vote for the skis then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, bin bag and bum pad?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Has he tried short skis? I mean either mini skis or blades
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman,

Don't really know, it is all going to be difficult in the first few weeks, I tend to think Scumboarding but if they can make the boot work for his leg then....????

Not much help...I know
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, you just wanted to get the word "Scumboarding" in, didn't you? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark, Laughing

Actually I have a lot of time for these peeps having spent a lot of time with a friend of mine who boarded very well. He only gave it up - he loved it - because his method of propulsion around the mountain put him in different positions to ours and it wasn't practicable...plus he had a few long walk outs which we skated in mins ...!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boarding actually looks quite good when it's done properly, unfortunately most of us only come across the sideslippers sitting in the middle of the pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, "He can skateboard quite well" Surely it has to be a board then Smile
If he can cope with a board with wheels why not one on snow?
Funny thing this balance thing is: i can ride a horse very well (face on) ride a MTB OK (face on) i'm alright on skis (face on) ice skate (face on) not a problem. Can i snowboard or skateboard not a chance Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Mate (hubby of the friend we took to Cas) has been back to Cas for lessons with the rest of the family. He is having great difficulty turning right. He suffered a bad left leg motorbike injury (smashed knee and badly broken femur) and that side doesnt work too well. He can skateboard quite well and an instructor sugested boarding instead.
Any thoughts or experiences anyone.

He could consider a monoski.
As the power of both legs are used together, the strain on individual legs is much less, and the potential for further injury decreased. Arguably it combines the advantages and fun of both boarding and ski-ing. Although not essential, it does help to have some basic parallel duo-ski ability first (forget snow ploughs & stem turns...) . See http://monoski.free.fr and http://www.monoski.net/.

Feet
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A shocking first post for such a new member - a monoski!!

Good thinking feet, do you mono yourself? Where's my manners, welcome to snowHead BTW
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feet, Welcome to snowHeads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for that warm welcome. Past injury ( burst achillies tendon in my case) is one of the reasons monos refused to dissappear over the past 20-odd years, although there new starters appearing now, as design & manufacturing technology developed on boards has transferred to the mono.
I'm going to have to try a bit of boarding this season- can't criticise something if haven't tried it.

regards

Feet (together, obviously)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feet, Fascinating to have a monoskier here - welcome aboard. Having bust an achilles tendon last year I am also intrigued to read that mono skis reduce the risk of injury - though I can't see myself giving up two planks just yet.
ski holidays
I did 3 years of monoskiing, almost exclusively, in the late 1970s, having imported the first 10 into the UK. There is certainly a much lower risk of twisting injuries to the legs, because there is no relative turning of legs away from each other.

It's probable that the two achilles tendons, working in unison, would be more supported than on separate skis.

The monoski demands a very disciplined upper body, because any turning of the upper body is amplified by the ski into a skid or spin (it's easy to 360 a monoski) ... but carving through soft snow is very possible (as with a snowboard). Holding a traverse line without slipping requires a slight exaggeration of the normal traverse position, turning the upper body to face the valley more clearly. Monoskiing in powder and crud is a huge buzz - a more powerful, faster experience than regular skis.

All that said, I wouldn't put a beginner on a monoski - it's really an experienced/advanced skier's tool. I think the snowboard is a better proposition, and easiski's suggestion of short skis sounds interesting - the dud leg would have less effect in screwing up turns.

A colleague called Martyn Hurn did a book on monoskiing - probably long out of print, but worth a search.
snow report
Frosty - just a thought or two.... I spent a morning at Le Tour teaching(well helping him get the idea) a (very competent) snowboarder to ski a little.... (Cannot deal with the fact the skiers travel better in back country)

It soone became apparent he had trouble with one leg... on asking he admitted he had broken that ankle TWICE.... on close inspection he in fact COULD NOT get that ski flat on snow.... the leg(ankle??) on that side was just not capable.... It is never a problem on his board....

I think I may have sent him off to smallzookeeper(??? your operation meets the description that I had from the local ski bum) to get some boots and boot work done as he was DETERMINED to ski having boarded for years...
ski holidays
Answer to post.... board. Every time and all of the time. I have been on skis for at least 20 years and now i am one of those sideslipping scumboarders that you all rave about so much. Im just so glad that i aint a dick on sticks anymore. Go and find yerselves a day-glo snowsuit forum.
JT,
Quote:

I tend to think Scumboarding

FenlandSkier,
Quote:

unfortunately most of us only come across the sideslippers sitting in the middle of the pistes.

Unfotunately i had to teach people to ski for 5 years and all i ever came across was bandy legged snowploughers sitting on their backsides in the middle of my ski class.
As you are both aware, most of us adore this site because it is full of likeminded snowloving people with decent and relevant help and information to share. I am never going to post again after reading this page.So Dont bother replying. Long live snowboarding and F%%K O** Mad
ski holidays
Quote:

Unfotunately i had to teach people to ski for 5 years and all i ever came across was bandy legged snowploughers sitting on their backsides in the middle of my ski class.
As you are both aware, most of us adore this site because it is full of likeminded snowloving people with decent and relevant help and information to share. I am never going to post again after reading this page.So Dont bother replying. Long live snowboarding and F%%K O**

Time of the month? Wink
snow report
I'm not sure whether paulm's post is missing a smiley and is meant to be ironic or whether he means it Puzzled
snow report
paulm,
Quote:

I am never going to post again after reading this page

Just for you....no irony intended.I just cannot understand how a reasonable question at the start of this post could degenerate into scumboarders and side slippers. Come on guys and gals, we all love to have our own opinions but that is really uncalled for. Maybe i could give you some tips on how to ski the next time you are on the mountain wink

As for an answer to the origional post...I would get a really good insurance before trying any more winter sports. Sorry for my outburst it is not my time of the month, i just cannot abate my love of heading down the hill by any means possible. NehNeh
ski holidays
Now I am confused, are you agreeing with me or attacking me? You only posted my "unfortunately most of us only come across the sideslippers sitting in the middle of the pistes." comment while conveniently snipping the "Boarding actually looks quite good when it's done properly" half of it.
Quote:

Come on guys and gals, we all love to have our own opinions but that is really uncalled for.

What and "Long live snowboarding and F%%K O** " is called for?????

I suggest you re-read this thread from the start and you'll see a lot of posters advising that boarding could well be the way to go, none of them felt the need to turn it into a skiers V boarders issue, you seem to have managed that in one post.
ski holidays
Thanks for the help so far, but please don't fall out on a thread I started.

paulm, Us skiers are just jealous of the style and freedom boarders have. Dan was a star of the EoSB and he booarded. The love/hate thing is just a bit of banter really.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, i must appologize for my lewd behaviour but i will not see what is normally a good humoured forum degenerate into word chucking(scumboarders) and self opinionated views on boarders. sorry,very sorry.
I do not like these views in the other direction either.

FenlandSkier,
Quote:

Boarding actually looks quite good when it's done properly, unfortunately most of us only come across the sideslippers sitting in the middle of the pistes.

I find this an amazingly abhorant statement being an ex skier myself.

What does properly mean? Is this the same as parallel skiing?

Looks quite good? When done by whom?

Side slippers in the middle of the piste? Is this a reference to the boarding learning curve or can one simply ski around them.

Why is it unfortunate? Are they spoiling ones view?

And as for my long live snowboarding comment,just banter.
ski holidays
paulm wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, i must appologize for my lewd behaviour but i will not see what is normally a good humoured forum degenerate into word chucking(scumboarders) and self opinionated views on boarders. sorry,very sorry.
I do not like these views in the other direction either.

FenlandSkier,
Quote:

I find this an amazingly abhorant statement being an ex skier myself.

What does properly mean?

Properly as in well, a good snowboarder is a joy to watch, a beginner can be less so. That applies to both skiers and boarders.

Quote:
Is this the same as parallel skiing?

Depends what you mean by parallel skiing, are you referring to the legs & knees together style? That to me looks quite an awkward way to ski.

Quote:
Looks quite good? When done by whom?

When done by someone who makes it look good.

Quote:
Side slippers in the middle of the piste? Is this a reference to the boarding learning curve or can one simply ski around them.

It is a reference to beginner boarders, to a passing person like myself they seem to spend a lot of time sideways onto the fall line slipping down the slope. You can ski/board around them if you want to if there's room to do so.

Quote:
Why is it unfortunate? Are they spoiling ones view?

Read what I wrote, not what you snipped and certainly not what you seem to be inferring.
They're not spoiling my view, what a bizarre thought.
What I wrote was that it was unfortunate that our usual impression of boarders is of the awkward learning phase rather than the more representative image of what a good boarder can do. It's akin to watching beginner skiers snowploughing along and thinking that all skiers are like that.
snow report
David Goldsmith - if you're still in touch with Martyn Hurn, please pass on the thanks of one reader - I bought the book many years ago, and still find it helpfull to skim through it at the start of each season. (the proper monoski-ing bits, that is, not all that padding about gloves & hats wink
Feet.
ski holidays
feet, has there been much of a knock on effect from the evolution of carving skis into the monoski? Presumably some of the concepts to carving skis don't work on a mono but maybe some of them do?
snow report
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

What I wrote was that it was unfortunate that our usual impression of boarders is of the awkward learning phase rather than the more representative image of what a good boarder can do.

Finally got your point.Maybe it's the fact that i come from lincs as well that we were at loggerheads over this one.Or maybe i just misunderstood your initial qoute and went off on one when the word scumboarders really insensed me earlier in the post..Ive had time to chill and would like to shake your mit and put a line under this one. Long live tequila.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was beginning to wonder if something was lost in translation along the way, I sometimes write things that can be read either way without realising it.
Boarding's something I'm slowly coming round to, I want to give it a try but I dont like the idea of being a complete beginner again, I'll give it a try one day though.
Quote:

Ive had time to chill and would like to shake your mit and put a line under this one. Long live tequila.

Likewise, consider mits shaken and glasses charged (although mine's got John Smith's in it at the moment).
snow report
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

I'll give it a try one day though.

really hope you do. i'm not saying you will adore it and will probably return to skis as a lot do but you never know.
You would not be a total beginner either as your learning curve will be faster if you have a good instructor and you can ski.
sad i know but i found that the fun part cos when anyone gave me anything but encouragement i just put on a pair of skis and went off the kickers they were building. Smile
latest report
I was asking Masque about it at the Cas ski test as he was on both board and skis. I want to give it a try but don't want to lose a day's skiing if you get my drift. I think I might try one of the learn to board sessions in the snowdomes to see how I get on and have it as an option next time I'm out on the slopes.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
feet, has there been much of a knock on effect from the evolution of carving skis into the monoski? Presumably some of the concepts to carving skis don't work on a mono but maybe some of them do?

Probably less. Because a monoski locks the feet together it blocks much of the angulation (sideways bending at the hip) you can naturally achieve when skiing on regular skis. A monoski carves on a relatively big turn radius - it's best for moderate gradients in powder and crud, where it excels.
ski holidays
I switched from skiing to baording because of a very weak knee. I also couldn't turn right. I had no problem boarding and have never gone back to skis. If your mate is already a good skateboarder he will pick up snowboaridng in minutes. When I first learnt to board over 10 years ago with chalet snowboard one of our mates was a very good skatebaorder - he could do tricks, pieps rails etc and he literally got on the baord and set off and was with the advanced group in about 20 minutes!
latest report
Assuming you mean carving by virtue of the sidecut shape, rather than bending the ski, It's certainly had an effect- most new monos have sidecut, some quite extreme.
I've never tried carving shaped skis (after the time of my conversion) , but my first mono with sidecut was a revelation for piste ski-ing (which is what I do, when not lost) after the 'first generation' pintail +big shovel ski I'd started with. (good on Scottish crud, but a bit of a bug on ice).
Carve turns (at the built-in ski radius) is just a matter of leaning over, although with only one edge, this works best with reasonable speed and a bit of commitment to the turn. Agreed this is a trick for wide-ish moderate slopes - but then as the slope gets steeper narrower and bumpier I usually revert to concentrating more on survival than style.

Bi-pedal friends tell me that unweight / skid turns are no longer taught to beginner/intermediates. If so, they're going to get a nasty surprise some day.

Feet
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy