Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Boarding daytrip near GVA ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

First post here, Google was showing the site a lot when I was searching for info so I guessed I should come over and sign up.

I am going to book a short trip to Chamonix or similar and would like to go asap.

When is the earliest time to go ? Looks like December to me but are there any earlier options ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-08-06 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome aboard Paul__S, there are a few Chamonix experts around, I'm sure thay'll be along soon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent Very Happy

It's not 100% for Chamonix, basically anywhere really near Geneva airport that can offer something as soon as !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul__S wrote:
Excellent Very Happy

It's not 100% for Chamonix, basically anywhere really near Geneva airport that can offer something as soon as !

I've spent a winter in Cham. There is not much happening until the last week of November at the earliest. Grands always has great plans to open early in November but it usually gets beaten by Les Houches and rarely seems to get running until early December. You could always catch the Aiguille du Midi and ski the Valley Blanche but watch out for those crevasses early in the season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Houches seems to fit the bill. I want to fly into Geneva and get somewhere within an hour and a half.

What's the earliest to go ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul__S, what about heading towards one of the glaciers for an early season ski? Tignes opens in October and there are also few Swiss glaciers to choose from. None are very close to Geneva, but for an extra 90 minutes drive you can get some pre-season skiing in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Nice idea but (and this is the slightly mad part) I am going for the day only. Land in Geneva around 9.30 and fly out around 22.00 !!

Thats why it has to be close to the airport Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul__S, OK, I see. I think someone here (RayZorro?) took a few day trips last season, and reported on his adventures. If you use the search function you should be able to find his reports. From what I can recall his day trips where in the main part of the ski season, so no worries about lift opening times, etc.

PS: A belated welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks !

Have been trying the search function without any luck Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul__S, try this thread.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, yes good thread, it was one of those that made me register !

However, that trip was in the main season. I am specifically wondering if it is possible anywhere earlier, ie late October/November ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paul__S, Come join the locals drink themselves to death in Oct/Nov? Stay well away before the first week of Dec' at the earliest! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul__S, I can't think of any places that are very close to Geneva that would be open for pre-season skiing. Late november, early December might be the earliest you could manage if you only had a day. Also, restrictions on hand baggage might affect your ability to make a quick getaway from GVA?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, thought that might be the case, too impatient to wait.

SMALLZOOKEEPER's plan is tempting though !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paul__S, Tignes is only an easy 2.5 hours from GVA. Ski lunchtime to 16h00 and head back to the Airport - (you mad fool).

Or you can come help me gardening in Chamonix? I promise a few beers after digging my new parking places...
latest report
David Murdoch, Gardening ?? Not on a day trip !
On further research Tignes looks good for early October.

Plane lands at 9.40am and leaves at 9.40pm.

Timings estimated
Airport check in/car collect etc up to 3 hours.
Driving 5 hours.
Boarding 3 to 4 hours.

Sound reasonable ?

Any tips for speeding things up or where to park etc ?
ski holidays
Paul__S, I seem to remember that Ray's experience of the one day trip was that everything had to go exactly to plan... who are you flying with into GVA?
snow report
It's an easyjet flight.

I'm ok with the timings risk, it's partly for the day out and to see whats about before possibly taking the family for a longer trip.
I have only boarded in MK so far so I don't need too much time actually on the slope on the day.
snow report
Paul__S wrote:
David Murdoch, Gardening ?? Not on a day trip !
On further research Tignes looks good for early October.

Plane lands at 9.40am and leaves at 9.40pm.

Timings estimated
Airport check in/car collect etc up to 3 hours.
Driving 5 hours.
Boarding 3 to 4 hours.

Sound reasonable ?

The lifts stop running early in Tignes in October.

You will be lucky to get an hour on the snow.
latest report
Paul__S, Most likely only the Grand Motte glacier will be open early October. Therefore you should drive to Val Claret and park in the main carpark near the entrance to the Funicular. I think the car park is free at that time of day.

Before you commit to your flights, check the opening time of the funicular and the lifts on the Grand Motte. I suspect that they will open early and close early in the autumn (maybe by 4.00pm), which might cut into your ski time if you're trying to make it all happen in one day. Is there no way you can stay for one night and make it a weekend event?
snow conditions
Ahh, web site said 4.30 for lifts, I guess thats in season ?

Doubt the wife will let me out for the night to do a weekend run !
ski holidays
Paul__S, in late November the last funicular down is at 4.30pm, but that means stopping skiing by about 4pm in order to take the short hike or catch the chairlift to the funicular station. Why not email Tignes tourist office to confirm? Have to say I wouldn't contemplate a day trip to Tignes in order to ski on the Grand Motte.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Paul__SWhy not email Tignes tourist office to confirm?

Good plan and done Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Paul__S, come back the next day and put it down to the vagaries of easyjet wink
snow report
Paul__S, Can you fly to Grenoble? If so, there'll be a number of Snowheads in LDA from 1st - 5th November for the Mondial du ski. Certain skiing, and easy (you said you haven't done much). If you can get good flights in and out (you may have to use different carriers), then hire an car and 1.5 hours you're here. Hire shops right in the middle of town and bingo! Lifts close a bit early (about 4.30) but you could then have a nice apres with the rest of us! Drive is about 2-2.5 hours from Lyon airport and 3 from GVA though.
ski holidays
easiski, Thanks for the offer. Flights are against me for that idea. One company doesn't fly there till December and the others only go once a day Sad 3 hours drive from GVA sounds a tad much.
latest report
Paul__S wrote:
Excellent Very Happy

Paul__S, if you choose the second or third week of December then you don't really need to choose now. Book some flights for the middle of the month and let the snow be your guide - because you never quite know where it's going to land early in the season.

Within an easy hour to an hour and a half of Geneva you've got - Flaine, Megeve, St Gervais, Les Houches and Les Gets / Morzine / Avoriaz. (And, no doubt, a whole stack of places I've not thought of...). One of them will be skiable/boardable by then. Last year Morzine had better early season snow than Les Houches or Flaine - but that's not always the case.

Paul__S wrote:
I have only boarded in MK so far so I don't need too much time actually on the slope on the day.

If you've only boarded in MK then I'd recommend you head for a smaller ski area where you can't do yourself too much damage by going the wrong way(!) Les Houches or Les Gets would probably be good for you.
snow conditions
Paul__S, top idea. Go for it.

I don’t know where you are starting from, but Ryanair do some very early morning trips (and are also cheap (which is always one of my criteria)). My day trip was to Bergamo and on to Foppolo. You can currently get return flights to Bergamo on almost any day through the winter season for about £25 total.

I reported on my day here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=228958#228958
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, Paul_S wants to do a pre-season trip (October) rather than an early season trip (December). I think all of the resorts close to Geneva are well and truly closed at that time of year?
snow conditions
Paul__S, another idea if you want to go soon is a flight to Salzburg (again with Ryanair). Kaprun (has a glacier) is only just over an hour from the airport and you can get early and late flights (arrive 9:30, leave 22:35).

You could even do that now, but I think the boarding would be a little limited, best leave it a couple of months, but you could watch the webcams.

Flights to Salzburg are a little more expensive, but if you looked carefully you should find some good deals. e.g. Mon 30th Oct would be £1.79 each way (£37.31 total inc. taxes)
latest report
Well excellent information Very Happy

Many thanks to all posters !

After some serious thought, reading and web research I have just asked for Thursday 14th December off to do the day and the 15th off to get over it Shocked

The winning plan right now is Luton to GVA on Easyjet with a one hour dash to the nearest snow at the time, hopefully one of the easier locations mentioned (Les Houches or Les Gets).

As soon as the holiday request gets back I shall book the flight and car.

Any further info for this plan would be great Cool
ski holidays
Paul__S, I hate to appear greedy on your behalf, but if you're taking Thursday and Friday off work you have the makings of a 4-day trip! Go on, you know it makes sense... Smile
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, absolutely, but you forget the most important thing here...
Paul__S wrote:
Doubt the wife will let me out for the night to do a weekend run !

Solution may be to take her as well and head to (the shops in) Megeve....could end up a bit expensive though Shocked Shocked .
ski holidays
Not sure when Verbier opens, but that is reasonbably close to GVA from memory.
snow report
Paul__S, girly post here. I would let you out for the night, as it wouldn't cost any more for the car hire. Surprise her, and take her too. A nice pre-christmas break.
ski holidays
Paul__S, I can mail you some stuff re the Les Gets option. Do you want to PM me your mail address.
latest report
Hehe you all trying to make me stay longer !

It's not just the wife issue there is an 11 year at school issue too !!

Flights are way too much when she is off plus neither of them have ever tried it. If it's really good then I may get the cash together for a family trip next year and they can try a ski school.

PhillipStanton, thanks, if i can work out the PM system I will !
snow conditions
Can you butter them up with a day's lessons at an indoor slope while you're away?
ski holidays
Paul__S, your 11 year old would love it.

While school hols are typically expensive, you can still so short breaks in the holidays for reasonable rates. If you fly out on the mon or tues, and come back on the weds/thurs you would still get some good prices. I booked up a short trip for between Christmas and NY only last week for me and two of my kids and the prices were very reasonable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy