Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best choice for 3 month stay in Alps, 1 skier & 1 snowboarder (adv, but not into 10' cliffs)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alp fever...

What would your choice for staying in the Alps for 3 months be?

We are advanced skiers/snowboarders (1 of each, actually on this trip). One of us has a huge abhorrence for long flat cat tracks.. (that'd would be the snowboarder).

We are wanting to divide our time, staying in two towns (kitchen apartments) for our stay of 3 months. We can lease a car, if we need to for the duration. Some nightlife and good mid-priced restaurants is always a plus.

So, where would you spend January, February and March? And has anyone done this and liked the apartment or pension they rented?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tiffgrif, welcome to SnowHeads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that abhorrence for transports definatly rules out Val Thorens/Meribelle/Courchevelle.

Personally I would say either Val d´Isere due to very good skiing and the fact that it is more of a village then just a hotel getho on a mountain like other french resorts. Lot of offpiste as well.

Another good option would be Serchavale (sp?) given the closeness of La Grave which is offpiste haven.

I know Avoriaz has alot of transports as well but I really like how you can ski into Switzerland and how it connects with alot of small systems across the border it also has quite good easily accessible offpiste. Avoriaz village is just a hotel complex.

Chamonix is a great village and a system almost free of transports. The lack of transports comes from the fact that it unlike other french systems doesnt connect the different ski areas and you have to go by buss. If you have a car all the time I wouldnt mind but humpin around in a buss up and down the valley for 3 months would get to. Village is really nice.

Unless you have a really BIG budget I wouldnt recommend Switzerland as its sooo damn expencive.

If you do want to get more out of the village it self I would recommend Austria as its real villages and the atmosphere there is nicer. But the skiing aint as good as France. In Austria Id go with Ischgel or St Anton.

For 3 months Id totally ignore Italy as the resorts are just too small and the sking is too easy there.
Tex
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would look at areas wher a lift pass will give you access to several resorts. That would be the Tarentaise in France (Val d'Isere, tignes, Paradiski (les Arcs/La Plagne) & 3V. I would think you will find some good low cost accommodation in the valley in Bourg St Maurice. Serre Chevalier, Les deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez likewise in the Southern French Alps. Chamonix and the Mont Blanc area in Haut Savoie. I cannot comment on Austria where there are other big shared pass areas but others would know, although the skiing there tends to be lower and less challenging as a generalisation that some will argue with. I wouldn't rule out Italy altogether as its cheap, and the Dolomites / Sella Ronda is a huge area of 600km piste, but it wouldn't be top of my list for a 3m trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Nicholas wrote:
I cannot comment on Austria ... although the skiing there tends to be lower and less challenging as a generalisation that some will argue with.

Sorry, I find this amusing, you say you can't comment on Austria, but seem to know enough about it to say it's not as good? Laughing

To make a comment on Austria, I'd say that you could stay somewhere in the Zell am See area, and have several large ski areas within about 45 minutes drive - Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Gastein valley...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not spend mid-Feb to mid-March out of the big French resorts, the queues during the French and UK school holidays can be dreadful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffgrif, you'll probably be influenced by where you can find long term accomodation, it's very difficult to find reasonably priced accomodation in Chamonix, when my sons lived there they started looking in October and didn't find anything until December. I'd say Bourg St Maurice is your best bet, but again there is a problem finding long term rentals, the French military expanded their presence in BSM a few years ago and moped up a lot of the available property. BSM does have the advantage of being close to the biggest resorts in France, you certainly would have a lot of choice with Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs and La Plagne all within 30 minutes or so, and Ste Foy and La Rosiere for a change of scene.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 25-08-06 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TexMurphy wrote:
Unless you have a really BIG budget I wouldnt recommend Switzerland as its sooo damn expencive.

Not done Switzerland for a long term stay, but on a week to week basis, I've always ended up paying more to stay in one of the big French resorts that I have in Switzerland (with the possible exception of Davos?)

I'd definitely recommend the Zell am See area of Austria. They offer a lift pass that covers something like 20 different resorts....and it's pretty!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Agree with Elizabeth B, I find Switzerland cheaper than France.

Staying in Sierre would put Zermatt, Verbier, Chamonix and a host of smaller stations within an hour.

In France, Bourg d'Oisans would give you L'Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, La Grave and Serre Chevalier. Bourg St Maurice would give you the mega-stations of the 3Vs, Espace Killy, Paradiski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

In France, Bourg d'Oisans would give you L'Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, La Grave and Serre Chevalier.

Would be good for access to those resorts but not exactly buzzing with nightlife! My recommendation if you fancy being in this part of the Alps would be that you base yourself either in LDA or ADH where you have easy access to the pistes day to day without a drive but you also have unlimited use of the other resort on your pass and if you have a car you are only adding about an extra 20mins to your journey time than from Bourg. You will also get voucher for a few days in Serre Che and Montgenevre which gives you access to the whole of the Milkey Way plus days in some great little resorts like Alpe de Grand Serre and Puy st Vincent which are definatly worth a visit. La Grave you have to pay for seperately but still very easy to get to.

I know 3 month lets in ADH can be hard to come by - if you are keen you should start investigating and try to find somewhere to stay now (a trip out there for a couple of days in order to find somewhere would be worthwhile). You may find it easier in LDA? Might be worth PMing easiski as she is based there any may be able to suggest something?

Sure where ever you end up you will have a fantastic few months!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could also base yourself in Briancon/Serre Chevalier, giving you the choice of Serre Chevalier (direct lift access), Montgenevre (20 minutes) and Puy St Vincent. There are lots of off=piste opportunities, and you are a short drive from La Grave. It is easy to get to the Milky Way in Italy, and not too far to Alpe D'Huez or Les Deux Alpes. Snowangel may know of some season accommodation.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, In my defence I have only been to St Anton and Filzmoos, and a couple of poxy 1 run systems near Villach, but I don't know about the systems connecting together. 6 weeks in St Anrton might be fun though rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tiffgrif, Welcome to snowheads! why are you talking about leasing a car? Are you not from Europe? It would be cheaper to go to either Germany or the Uk and buy a cheap second hand car of your own. You will need a car.

For long term lets, you definitely want to be in the valley. You won't get 3 month lets in any resorts around here. All winter (5 months) - yes, but very hard to find. So I have a revolutionary suggestion: Stay in La Grave village itself. You can then easily access LDA, ADH and other smaller resorts in the Grenoble area (Les 7 Laux is a bit further), and then you can also easily access Serre Chevalier/Briancon, Mongenevre, Sestrierre, Puy St Vincent, Risoul is a bit further, but probably doable.

The problem is the ski pass. For LDA you would get ADH whenever, a number of days in Serre Che & Puy St V. La Grave is linked (sort of), so in that case, when the link is open you get free lift passes in LG with the LDA one (but you have to present it.) There are also a number of other villages around where some Gites might do you a good deal for an extended period ... however, you'd have to part with a good few thousand euros to get a 3 month let.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy