Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help to pic vacation: SLC (Alta) + Jackson Hole or Fernie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there fellow snowHeads.

Im a new snowHead from Sweden.. well not new snow head but new to these forums... been a snow head all my life.. Wink

Me and my GF are trying to decide where to go for our winter vacation and Im having a really hard time making the call. I need more input...

We are planing on going in early march.

Option 1: SLC + JH

Staying in SLC for about 7 ski days. Skiing Alta, Brighton and Snowbird. Ive been to this area before and I just love Alta. Most likely its gonna end up beeing 4 days Alta, 2 days Brighton and 1 day Snowbird. Snowbird is good but its not alta and its a bit pricy.

Accomondation: Motel in SLC

Then we drive up to JH for another 6 or so days of sking. Taking the middle day of a two week vacation of aint a bad thing since the shape aint what it used to be. Wink

Accomondation: Condo in JH

Price Including flight, accomondations, lift tickets but excluding car rental, gas, food: 3200 USD

Option 2: Fernie

This option we would stay a full 14 ski days in Fernie.

Accomondation: Ski in ski out Condo in Fernie.

Price Including flight, accomondations, lift tickets but excluding calgary->fernie transfere and food: 3055 USD

About our skiing experience and our expecations of the vacation

Ive skiied since I was a little kid. Ive skiied alot of EU resorts. Ive been to the SLC area 3 times and Whistler once.

I love Alta and my favo run there is under the Supreme lift. Its nice steep and deep powder that is easily accessible.

I would call my self an advanced but not extreme skier who is a bit lacking in physical shape (30+ consultant what can I say;) ).

I prefere to ski trees and open deep snow areas that are easily accessible from the lifts, no hikeing. Reason I dont like to hike is that my mountain knowledge isnt as high as I want it to be inorder to feel safe about hikeing out.

My GF is an intermediate skiier who wants to take her skiing to the next level. Ive skiied some trees with her in Norway. It wasnt really steep but it was tight and with deep heavy snow. Im comfortable I can find stuff that fits her in Brighton and Alta as well, maybe not under the supreme but there are other spots. She wants to evolve her skiing outside the groomed stuff.

Info Id like to recive from you.

First of all what type of skier are you and which of the areas have you skied.

Then which of the two trips would you pick for your self and why?

I know how good the conditions are in Utah but Im a bit worried about the Fernie conditions as Ive read alot of posts/reviews/reports that have the word "rain" in them. Is the rain risk high in Fernie?

Is 3rd->19th of March to late to go to Fernie?

Do you know anything about the road conditions between STL and JH in march?

Is it naive of me to expect that we would be able to drive from SLC to JH in 6 hours?

Do you know anything about food prices in JH and/or Fernie (both eating out and grocery shopping)?

Thanks in advance
Tex

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-08-06 13:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead, Tex!

TexMurphy wrote:
Info Id like to recive from you.

First of all what type of skier are you and which of the areas have you skied.

Low intermediate, really enjoyed the stuff off Supreme. For the areas you are looking at, I've skiied Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Canyons, Park City, Deer Valley, Jackson Hole.

TexMurphy wrote:
Then which of the two trips would you pick for your self and why?

Definitely the Alta one. But, rather than Brighton, I'd suggest Solitude (very quiet) or the Canyons (big).

TexMurphy wrote:
Do you know anything about the road conditions between STL and JH in march? Is it naive of me to expect that we would be able to drive from SLC to JH in 6 hours??

I've done SLC to JH in February. Unless you hit the pass into JH in a blizzard, it's OK. Done it in 5 hours.

TexMurphy wrote:
Do you know anything about food prices in JH and/or STL (both eating out and grocery shopping)?

Food prices are reasonable, although JH is a bit of a tourist town, so restaurant prices can reflect that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat

Thanks for the info.

You know in the 4 weeks that Ive skiied the STL area Ive never been to Solitude. I guess that we have been put of by the fact that everyone that has talked good about it to us has been 60+. I know its a stoopid reason but when people are saying so much good about the groomed runs it kind of has felt that it hasnt been "our place" to go.

Though I must say I totally hate the Canyons sure its big but its "fake big" everything is made diagonal inorder to increase the appeared lenght of the runs. The weather has always been bad when Ive been there, wet snow. Prices are relativly high but not as extream as DV or PC. So Im staying away.

Ive also done Snow Basin which was decent but had pretty low snow base when I was there so going outside the groomed stuff was out of the question. Powder Mountain is just horrible any place that you park your car on the top and ski down is out of the question for me. Wink

Thanks again
Tex
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TexMurphy, there's a few Solitude pics here....
http://photos.wtfh.com/album/Epic%202006/Linds%20Utah/index.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Tex,

Welcome to snowHead

Fernie's an old mining town, and prices are pretty reasonable, since it isn't really a big tourist magnet like Banff or Whistler. Great skiing though.

If you plan on staying in a condo on mountain, you'll need to get a bus into town to do your shopping: it's not expensive, but it's a bit inconvenient. If you're into vibrant nightlife, you won't find it, although the locals are very friendly. It's a low key place.

Conditions should be just fine early March. Fernie gets a LOT of snow: the local weather systems funnel up the valley and dump it all on the Lizard range. The downside is that sometimes it falls as rain, not snow.

If that looks like hapenning, you can get a bus trip to Kimberley: it's covered by the same lift ticket. Not such a good ski mountain, but it might miss the rain.

Don't believe Fox when he describes himself as a "low intermediate": he's way better than that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To compare your trips I'd think you'd be better looking at multi base Canada as well as the US - for you I would think Red Mountain, Whitewater & Kicking Horse are worthwhile additions to Fernie in your itinery, Red is the furthest drive from Fernie but its still only half a day - passes &/or ferry permitting. However obviously Langley Travel do a lot of packages to Fernie, you essentially have your own Scandinavian bar/hotel in town etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TexMurphy, Welcome. What a terrible decision you have to make!

I haven't skied Fernie, although a friend hs done a few seasons there.

I have (last season) done the SLC route and have driven SLC - Jackson. That would get my vote.

The drive (in decent weather) is a comfortable 6 hours unless you get distracted by the excellent aircraft museum (you can tell I did) not far out of SLC. They even have an SR-71 Blackbird. Awesome. Beautiful aircraft and huge!

Great scenery in places. I returned via "Blue" Lake (?) and through Beaver Pass. I am not sure this is open in Winter and adds to the drive - I just like seeing a bit more of the place. I didn't ski the Jackson area but had lots of fun in back country with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides.

We decided after our last trip that if we did Utah again, we'd lodge in Park City. More fun than SLC. Also, your GF would I think love Deer Valley. I concur with Foxy that Solitude is fantastic. I reckon it might even be better than Alta on a powder day. Also, you can arrange a back country tour between the areas - no hiking, just off piste down between the valleys. I'm sure you could arrange a level that will suit both of you (Ski Utah Interconnect). One thing we didn't do was Snowbasin - and the locals were raving about it...

I found Snowbird a little over-rated I must admit... Whereas Alta does just rock!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fatbob

Thanks for reminding me to check Langley. Ive basicly always been ignoring the charter companies as its been cheeper to book everythign your self but now Langley actually has really good prices to fernie.

Problem is though its a very simple hotel in the city but it is with breakfast and dinner.

The langley option is about 120 USD cheaper per person then the Ski in ski out Condo with a jacuzzi but then the langley one does include the food. Bah.. thats a tough choise as well...

@David Murdoch
I agree that PC is a nice town but way to expencive for my wallet and DV is even more expencive.

I agree that PC and DV are rich "low intermediate" haven but rich is something we arnt and while she is intermediate she aint your regular intermediate skiing gf. She rather go into the trees then down the groomed so I have to run around looking for not too steep and not too tight trees for her to ski.

Delightfull problem indeed.. Wink

Just as delightfull as the problem of picking which of the two trips to take.. Wink

EDIT: Ohh yes I do agree that Snowbird is overated actually Id rather say over populated and given the price Id rather stay in Alta but its fun with some veriaty as well..

Tex
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TexMurphy, not too tight trees? She'll love Solitude! Lots and lots of trails through the trees...

Solitude was our favourite find of the trip actually. We weren't impressed ourselves with DV (although I lurved all the immaculate bumps) - with the exception of the last day lunch (River Street Cafe) which while $$$$$ was absolutely fantastic. I should point out that while my chums and I are competent recreational skiers we do appreciate our lunches!

We found very reasonable (by our standards anyway) accom in PC...but we were a party of 6 sharing a condo, which may help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For example, this is a tree in solitude with me wrapped around it - the broken brnches around are what "broke" my fall...could have been worse!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 24-08-06 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch wrote:
Whereas Alta does just rock!!

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't tell them all!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would have to agree.. first rule of Alta.. dont speak of Alta.. Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Second rule of alta . . . don't take a snowboard Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, same with Deer Valley!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does my bum look big in that tree?
snow report
Such a sweet picture... christ I cant wait for good powder and tree skiing....
snow conditions
TexMurphy, my advice (UCA) is to look at the gaps, not the trees...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy