Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski mags

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller Thanks for the information on Snow magazine.

It's a pity that you've discouraged one of the most interesting skiers I have met from the forum. I had rather hoped that jacksonhole's comprehensive knowledge, from personal experience, of skiing world-wide, would filter into snowheads.
Quote:

Quote:

Because of my work I always have a pair of vernier calipers by the computer.

This is far more worrying.

That's something we do agree on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jacksonhole, in common with other voices, I'd be sad for you to feel that you're not "a welcome visitor" here.

That is absolutely not the case.

You flung a family-sized custard pie at a competitor and ... he retaliated with a big wet fish. I can't imagine that anyone has any hard feelings about that, and the scores are settled.

Everyone I know finds you very funny and convivial company ... by the way. So, for the sake of communal sanity, please stick around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It's a pity that you've discouraged one of the most interesting skiers I have met from the forum.

Well, as you know the fella, perhaps you could re-enact the Gary Lineker / Gazza "'ave a word with 'im" incident from Italia 90.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, it's called falling on your pen. I too hope he hangs around but far more sensitive issues will crop up over the winter and, of course, there will be critiques of all the mags when they start appearing! We'll miss the poetry.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Snow magazine, a professional response given that you were unprofessionally criticised.

Bode Swiller, given your name I can't be alone in taking your views on professionalism very seriously.
What are your views on alcoholism?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Abominable snowHead, it's a problem. Wonder what percentage of resort workers (and snowsports enthusiasts generally) are technically alcoholic? Surely, this is the sort of thing our ski mags should go investigate... ski with excess blood alcohol and you're technically uninsured (yet the majority enjoy a few "swills" at lunchtime and probably still have last nights alcohol coursing through them). So, drunk skier ploughs into you, you can't work for a year due to your injuries, his insurance co refuses to pay out for liability because he was drunk. Could happen. I'm not saying they should fill mags with this kind of stuff, but, if they were real journalists, they be chasing stories that tell us something we don't already know.

My preferred tipple is water. Swiller is a reference to the antics of a certain ski racer who said he once raced drunk. And questioning my professionalism is an abominable thing to do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are wandering off-topic, but I agree about the drink-insurance thing. The travel companies through their brochures and their reps promote a drinks culture. Not adverse to the odd tipple myself. But, here's the crunch, you are not covered whilst under the influence. So have an accident after drinking, skiing or not, and you are not covered - with any policy I've read, anyway. That said, in practice, I am not aware of it having been an issue at any time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, I was once taken underground at the Mooserwirt in St Anton. There's 30 kilometres of pipes down there, computerised drink management systems and about a dozen cellarmen running around changing barrels as fast as they can. Everything arrives in huge barrels. Everything from Jagermeister, all the wine, obviously all the beer, spirits, gluhwein etc etc. For some their full time job was pouring large beers. The man there explained that all this was necessary just in order to keep pace with demand and even then they somtimes struggled. No wonder at all that the remaining half mile of piste back into town is probably the worst accident black spot outside of Baghdad (with, sadly, a few deaths thrown in). The prob for the insurance companies is being able to prove that someone's demise was caused by alcohol I guess. Anyway, point is, and getting back on thread, why do the magazines like S&B and DMSS not tackle serious issues? When I see a piece on St Anton I never see mention of the nightly carnage. Why? Probably because the hack concerned was a guest of the resort and it wouldn't go down well, jeopardise future freebies etc. So, the resultant editorial is "what I did on my holiday" and anyone, absolutely anyone, can do that. Other consequence... intelligent reader gets bored instantly and decides that all ski mags aren't worth the £3.50. You've only got to trawl through this site to see how sophisticated the knowledge base is and the flagship mags aren't keeping pace. Jacksonhole needs to be in this forum and his loss if he permanently sulks off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, those opening sentences were pure journalism. I'm being serious for a change. The reference to Baghdad was slightly dodgier. But full marks for professionalism.

When can I buy you a glass of water?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whoah - this one nearly slipped me by!
Obviously, as the unbiased publisher of Fall Line my word is law on this... Hmm, maybe I'll just shut up and let folk make their minds up.
We are putting DVDs on the cover of three issues this season, plus a gear guide for everyone to get heated about, and a SnowGuide which is a sponsored thing but still should be readable because half of it resolutely isn't advertorial...
For subs gifts we have a rather interesting selection including ski poles, T-shirts and my personal favourite, a three-man snowball catapult. These aren't on the web yet but will be up shortly(ish).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry looking at the response I was answering questions through the thread in one go with no thought to how it had developed. Feel free flog me for shameless plugging and barging.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Consider yourself flogged, I will absolve you totally of your sins in exchange for a "three-man snowball catapult", sounds intrigueing Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is - after a few attempts we managed to hit a telecabine from about 40m. It was some way up in the air, too. Made a most satisfying noise; a sort of hollow 'thwock'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another mag launches

http://www.natives.co.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=1871&

Free distribution. Anyone seen it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh god. More competition.
That's backward integration, that is - web businesses moving into print/bricks and mortar/something physically tangible. It's not me being rude, by the way. That's what it's called.
ski holidays
fallliner, Ah yes, but Fall Line magazine has gone onto the web NehNeh
latest report
Saw DMSS in WHSmith at the airport earlier (no other mags there). managed to absorb most of it standing there. Advertorial galore at the back. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
ski holidays
Conor, I have decided to call that 'forward integration' to make it sound like we're ahead of the game
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Saw DMSS in WHSmith at the airport earlier (no other mags there). managed to absorb most of it standing there. Advertorial galore at the back. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I bought DMSS today - I know its always disappointing but I thought first issue of the season is usually not too bad. Since when do freeride skis max out at 88mm waist - trading standards should have them for advertising a freeride ski test on the cover. What could have been an interesting article on Japan turned into a tiresome plug for a single resort served by Inghams - well done Matt Carroll may I never have the misfortune to read anything you've written ever again.

Only article with anything to say was the "controversial" back page which counselled against skiing with your other half alone.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-09-06 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yes I subscribe to DMSS and this first issue was read in an hour, if It carrys on like that I will cancel. Loads of adverts no real meat.

I am waiting for my subscription to Fallline to kick in Smile
snow report
fatbob, So, not quite worth the "small change from a fiver" you were left with after shelling out! I was just left wondering where the buzz was. You expect a mag to tell you something you don't already know, leave you wanting more, not less.

Has anyone picked up the free Natives mag yet? I have hopes that this'll be more edgey than the glossies.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Saw DMSS ... managed to absorb most of it standing there.

You make it sound like a floor mop. Have some respect, man.
latest report
David Goldsmith, respect for the sticky goo that the mop is mopping ? NehNeh
Having said that, I will now go and buy a copy in an attempt to sate these summertime blues.
latest report
Finally getting back to the subject of too much advertorial... just bought Ski & Board (yes, I know, must have had a few too many last night). Had a flick through first as one usually does and decided that it seemed to be carrying less advertorial supplements than previous. Having sat down and read it though I can now see what they've done - spread the advertorial around (all 23 pages of it!) and tastefully put the word "advertorial" in about 12 point at the top of some (not all) pages. Not only does it all look exactly like the other editorial, they've even accredited the pieces to named ski writers which all suggests to me that they want me to believe that this is independent, objective stuff. What's the point? as soon as I, or anyone else, realises that it's only the positive paid-for spin on a resort you stop reading and move on. Any other views on this first issue?
snow report
I've just fallen off my seat at the news that you've bought a ski magazine.

Are ABC open on a Sunday? I must phone them immediately.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I know, and I wish I hadn't.
snow report
I can't believe a man of your influence doesn't get sent a freebie.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I did get sent a copy of Tribe however. A busy little mag, informative and I'd say a good first effort... and it's FREE, and no advertorial pretending to be editorial.

What a lot of snow mags this little country's got... DMSS, S&B, Snow, Skier & Snowboarder, Good Ski Guide, Tribe, Dark Summer, Fall Line, Racer Ready, The Piste, White Lines, Document Snowboard... I must have missed a few. Then add Snow+Rock catalogue, Ellis Brigham catalogue and loads of other catalogues. Multiply most of them by 4 or 5 issues. Firstly, wouldn't it be great if they could all combine and produce just one really good mag. Secondly, how many trees?!!?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
.............Any other views on this first issue?

Great supplement on the Dolomites - got me researching the area. Excellent ski tests. Controversial article on Whymper's rope (having seen it at Zermatt's museum, the break looks to me as though it was caused by a sharp edge).
latest report
jacksonhole... is back! He's been seen lurking on another thread!

Real reason for posting though is that I actually bought my second ski mag of the year today! This time I was mesmorised by the offer of a free lip balm inside the plastic wrapping of a thing called Good Ski Guide. Having binned the balm and the wrapper, I was left holding the worst use of one of my £3.50s ever. Talk about total dross... every resort feature is followed by an ad for that resort and, the travel insurance survey is won by (guess what?) the company that took out a double page spread ad (basically all advertorial without actually having the decency to flag it up at all). Then Royal Correspondent James Whitaker has a staggeringly pompous rant at snowboarders. The layout is pure 1983. Responding to the editors costs 50p by text just to rub your nose in it. Can't wait for the next one!
ski holidays
jacksonhole, agree with maggi, . Personally I'd wondered where you had gone because I found your posts interesting (I assume this is a new id). And as Maggi says, don't take it personally. It's a lot harder to build up your own sandcastle, than knock someone else's sandcastle down. The magazine is a very powerful tool for the SCGB, especially in gaining leverage with ski resorts/regions, in that respect possibly the most powerful tool. More than that, I'm not going to get involved.

To re-iterate you are very welcome from my point of view.
latest report
Just received this by email... www.flippingbrochures.com/snow the new electronic version of Snow. That's the way to save trees.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I like the look of that style of magazine but it would be hard to read in the Bath wink
latest report
Nick_C, firstly, I think you're just showing off... a bath in Stoke on Trent indeed. You'll be telling us you've got hot water next! snowHead . Secondly Mrs Swiller would never forgive me if I introduced ski mags into our water saving activities. Anyway, re the flippin' mag, this is possibly a good way forward as we increasingly store most other stuff electronically so why not ski mags.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I'll let you know I drag the tin bath out in front of the fire and have a bath once a month whither I need it or not. Hot water is for the weak.
Next you’re be telling me that this new fangled electric light bulb thing will catch on.
ski holidays
We dont need a bath nah t' pits closed dahn
snow conditions
Us fen folk just drill a hole in the ground and free water comes rushing up, don't know what all them southern jessies are moaning about. Nick_C, them new fangled eleckertricky lamps are brilliant, if you put it in 't bath then not only can you see what you're doing but it warms the water up!!!!!
snow report
In Cheshire we get the servants to sort out all that stuff. No problem with a lack of water round here, especially today.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy