Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi,
Someone else if organising a ski trip to Livigno around St Paddy's day in March which i will probably go on. Whats peoples opinions on this resort. I'm also going to Alpe d'Huez in January.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi MhicEasmuint, went to Livigno about 12 years ago - from memory there is skiing on both sides of the resort with gondolas up. Not sure if it's the place for very experienced though - the snow was fantastic (early January) and we had a great week. Night life was pretty good too, but we WERE a group of 20 so tended to make our own entertainment! Duty free then, (not sure about now?) and apres and eating out were not expensive. I'm afraid I can't remember the names of any bars other than the Ice Bar on the main pedestrianised road through the resort - it was an actual igloo! Lots of well-off Italians in fur and jewellery, some nice shops and a proper town rather than a ski station. the transfer was a killer though - not sure where we flew into but - again from memory - it's a longish transfer from anywhere. Ours was something like 5 hours + Shocked We haven't been back but would if the chance arose. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah we'd be able to make our own craic too, there's probably at least 25 people going.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi MhicEasmuint, I was there about 3 years ago (the last week in January) - it was really good as the majority of the group were beginners. The few of us that has skied before enjoyed it and there is enough runs for 1 weeks skiing. As has been mentioned it's duty free - 1 litre bottle of Smirnoff was €5 in the shops - that said the price of pints in the pubs did not reflect the duty free aspect - but it was still reasonable.
There is one nite club there - can't remember the name of it (I'm sure someone can help you out here). There was one really nice bar which did Fondu - really good for a group of about 10 - 12 people (but I'm sure they would take a bigger group). Again I can't remember the name of it, but it was in the pedestrianised area and it was downstairs - they had live music on aswell which was good.
The only problem is the transfer time - took us about 4.5 hours and about 6 on the way back. Also on the way back we were stopped after coming out of Livigno and customs people selected one person on the bus and took them out to open their bag to check how much cigs/drink they had bought in Livigno - I would reccommend, if you are buyiong cigs/drink, to put most of it in a bag on the bus with you rather than putting it in the bag which you will put in the luggage compartment.
I presume if you are going skiing twice that you are not a beginner - what I would say about Livigno is that if you have not been there before it's worth a trip (no matter what level of skier/boarder you are)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We skied Livigno in march 2005. I would agree with the sentimemts of those above, but if you are looking for advetuours or advanced skiing then this is not the place. there are a couple of good blacks, the rest being easy reds. If you are just interested in a good time and general ski fun then Livigno is great.

We found that as there was a little melting durin the day and then overnight freeze it meant that we could ski a Red run with some of the group taking a 'sensible ' route on the piste whilst the remainder could find a demanding (read bumps and hard stuff) route to hone our skills.

mrs Odin went to ski school for 4 half days and enjoyed it. last day was a 'race' and her instructor goaded me into racing him for beer on slalom course. Me to ski normal, he to ski on one leg. I had to buy beer then he confessed to being an ex-olympic slalom skiier for italy !!!

transfer time is a long time, take a book or sleep !!!

Enjoy. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MhicEasmuint, Do a search (top left in 'user facilities') for Livigno.

It doesn't have many negative comments. It is a grand place for a ski/board holiday if it's a holiday you want and not a week dedicated to extreme skills development. It's not huge, though the town is strung out along the valley floor, but it's great for a week with just enough to keep most people amused. There are a couple of challenging runs, but that's, all the rest are huge long bluey-reds. There is a bit of an issue with the tops of both hills funneling down either side of the valley into single runs that with the heavy traffic can get a bit scrapped and polished. It's worth a week of anyone's snowtime and as it's high it's fairly snowsure right through to May.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By reading your reviews etc it should be spot on. Worst bit only the transfer time.
Killeagh
January will be my 4th time skiing and Livigno my 5th, so not a beginner but no expert either.
Had 2 skiing trips last year, Les Deuz Alpes in January which was my 2nd week skiing, didn't bother with lessons, and had great weeks skiing, managed to get all slopes done apart from a couple of blues, even managed all the blacks, although there was a couple of falls.
Then in march last year we were in Pomporovo, which i could probably have skied the whole area in one day, but we had great craic, going through tree's, over jumps, and even down a narrow path where the ski lifts go through the tree's. An instructor showed us all them types of things and we had some weeks craic, and a guy followed us 2 afternoons, and recorded us doing it. Was some laughs and craic when the group was together watching each other fall in piles.
So Livigno will probably be a similiar trip to that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MhicEasmuint,

Went to Livigno in Jan 03. Perfect for a 5th trip
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very nice village though quite alot of walking as its a long and narrow village that streches along more or less one road.

Very good food.. cant beat italian food.

Great for novice and intermediate skiiers.

Lacking for advanced skiiers. Though it did get me into telemarking as thats what I did there when I got boored with the regular skiing.

If you are a andvanced skiier you really wana take a trip over the border to St Moritz. Its a nice change of scenery and gives you at least one day of more advanced skiing.

Tex
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy