Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And we're supposed to scared by a toothpaste tube?

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1231468,00.html Shocked

Who's got shares in Ryan and Easy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hardly "News". Sky "news" are 15 months out of date - this is an old story. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2005/05/29/2003257100

And one that was roundly refuted by Boeing and its suppliers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any part that doesn't conform to the drawing will be flagged upon inspection and then a concession raised. This then has to be sent back to the structural analysts who will either deem the component still fit for purpose or prescribe a repair. Each concession will be tracked by the customer. There would have to be a SERIOUS cock up or cover up at the manufacture/inspection stages for unfit components to get shipped...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark, I saw this on Sky News this morning and the report was unequivocal. They claimed that parts that were not manufactured to spec had been used.

The report included claims that the sub-contractors had falsified records as to how parts had been made (supposedly parts that should have been made with precision machines were being done using hand tools).

Boeing didn't give Sky an interview (possibly because this is an old story) and didn't deny any of the claims but did gave a generic "we manufacture to the highest standards" sort of statement.

I was a bit surprised that Sky went in so strong on a major company like Boeing who would have the resources to sue.

And now the Chunnels closed! How will we ever get to the earthly paradise that is The Netherlands?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark, is quite correct, I'd also point out that if an aircraft part is out of tolerance it almost certainly would not fit, now it's possible that parts were supplied that were out of tolerance and that Boeing re machined the parts after checking that they had sufficient material to do so, but if the parts were out of tolerance they won't fit and the plane would never take off
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, one of the more vivid claims was that Boeing engineers had had to whack some of the parts with hammers to get them to fit! Supposedly, some were out by an inch.

One of the chief complaints was that this would, obviously, weaken the aircraft.

Strong words from Sky who aren't exactly renowned for their investigative journalism.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ben wright wrote:
D G Orf, one of the more vivid claims was that Boeing engineers had had to whack some of the parts with hammers to get them to fit!

Sometimes this needs to be done – to a degree. Many, many years ago when I worked on aero engine assembly lines, it was common practice to use a rawhide mallet to ease the flame tubes into position because they were an interference fit. This was more gentle persuasion than outright whacking but an observer (particularly one with a view in talking up the story) would no doubt have seen it in a different light.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ben wright, an inch would almost certainly not fit, ever, no matter how much you " it it wid an ammer "
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bloke just got the sack for using someone elses stamp to sign off some aircraft work. As Sm wrote - concession tracking is carried out pretty ruthlessly - but original part spec falsification may be more difficult to detect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
ben wright, an inch would almost certainly not fit, ever, no matter how much you " it it wid an ammer "

I believe that in the days when a lot of metal bashing industry was based in Birmingham, a Hammer was sometimes referred to as a " Brummagem Screwdriver" wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a Hammer was sometimes referred to as a " Brummagem Screwdriver"

Alastair Pink, That wasn't a hammer, more like a pickaxe Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sky News were still showing this tonight. The "inch" was actually a gap that they conjectured could develop rather than the original error in the sizing.

The report was clear in what was saying so Sky must think they've got evidence to back up their claims or don't care that they're going to take a pasting from Boeing's lawyers.

Perhaps the most worrying thing was the pay-off, the judge who's hearing the case brought by the whistle-blowers who are trying to force the FAA to do something is 99 years old!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben wright, I love conjecture, especially that made by journalists that often know very little about the story they're reporting
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, that all we need now, O'Leary's planes falling out of the sky Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hibernia, fat hope one'd land on him Crying or Very sad
latest report
OK so how many of these planes have fell out of the sky? and how many of said planes was it casued by said defect?

Looks like more scare mongering to sell news to me.
ski holidays
D G Orf, I've dealt with Sky's commercial lawyers enough to know that they're a bunch of bed-wetters and I have no reason to believe that their clearance people are any less risk-averse.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy