Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy (Bergamo) to Switzerland (St Moritz) by road

Poster: A snowHead
theaa.com route finder shows this as being 150km and about a 2 hr trip. But it would mean going over the Passo del Maloja/Maloja Pass. Does anyone know if this is open through the winter?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maloja's usually closed IIRC. Isn't there a route over the Bernina?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, I think so, is that open?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I *think* so otherwise Poschiavo would be totally cut off, but others who've skied the Diavolezza will be better able to tell you. Forcola di Livigno is def closed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm pretty certain the Maloja Pass is shut in winter I recall travelling through there one summer in late June or early July and the pass had only recently opened for the year, also you will definately need snowchains on the vehicle if there is any snow on the road up to St Moritz as I seem to remember the route up being quite steep and twisty, I stayed in a nice Garni (bed and breakfast) hotel in St Moritz, I think it was called the Eden, as I recall it was very close to the town center but that was a long time ago
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Update:

http://www.rrr.de/~marc/paesse/paesse_daten.html

This link has the closure dates for most passes - it seems Maloja is normally open. However, I would check the radio before you go as I remember hearing it having closures

(Wintersperre = winter closure)

And this has the current situation:

http://www.drs.ch/index.cfm?gbaction=AA2188FD-5120-47D3-ABAB0275DDB51F69&categorynodeid=E58F52BC-8CAF-4AE3-B0325C44B650CD0A&prg=srdrs&szm=about%2Fsrdrs&szmcha=drs
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theaa.com route finder has it 2:40 from bergamo to St Moritz via bernina. This seems a bit quick to me, but would just about be do-able for a short break. (Flights to Bergamo are plentiful and cheap).

Any comments anyone?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks eng_ch, that is very helpful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Better to do Helvetic from Luton to Zurich I'd have thought, then train down
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, Thanks again, but cost is a big factor here for me as I usually end up taking some of the kids. Flights on ryanair are about 13.00 each way to Bergamo.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, you see, I'd rather pay to take a train than risk having to put chains on Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, how old are the kids ?

You could get a Swiss transfer ticket for yourself which covers you from the point of entry into Switzerland to your resort and back, for arround £57 and a FREE Family Card, which will allow parents to take up to 4 of their kids of under 16 years of age with them for FREE
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, they are 16, 14 and 10. That is a useful snippet - thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, not bad then, the 16year old pays adult price, but the other two go free, also check out prices of ski passes, in Wengen there are something like 5 different age catagories for ski passes and your 16year old would get a 20%discount whilst the other 2 would I think get 50% off or there abouts.

Switzerland is a very good place to take kids imho and the prices are reasonable
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, Bernina is usually open. At least it is as from Pontresina up to Diavolezza / Lagalb so I assume it is from the Italian side as well.
latest report
I have never driven from Bergamo to St Moritz, however I have done St Moritz to Bergamo and the pass is indeed open in the winter Little Angel
snow conditions
Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful - again.

I also contacted the TO in St Moritz and got this reply just now.

"Thank you for your Mail. Yes, it is possible to drive to St. Moritz from Bergamo airport in winter and the Passo del Maloja and Bernina are usually open. From Bergamo to St. Moritz it takes about 2.5 hours."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy