Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions where to buy PMR446 radios in USA?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to UK & France, and would love to have radios in-hand before leaving USA (NYC area). Any suggestions? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mfrandy, welcome. I guess Radio Shack would be a good start, but you'd be better asking this question on www.epicski.com , which is US based.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mfrandy, welcome, but why go to extra trouble to buy a radio illegal to use in the US when you should be able to find them for less than £20 when you get there?

Edit: and 220V chargers too?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First up since no-one else has mentioned it - welcome to snowheads, mfrandy!

As fo radios, just use US style radios. they'll still work over here - "illegal" does not mean "non-functioning" they justuse a badwidth that is allocated for something else. US radios are more powerful and thus qiute possibly more useful in the bigger european ski areas
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, Great attitude, very responsible rolling eyes.

I don't know anything about transmission signals but the idea of allocated bandwidths is obviously to stop interference from others. What if that bandwidth you advocate tresspassing on is allocated to a critical function, say the emergency services or piste patrol?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, this issue has been covered several times, in both directions. if it was important, then in the time that snowheads has been working do you not think that someone would have mentioned that they'd been asked not to use that us radios in europe / european radios in NA for whatever reason?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh and apologies to comprex and Wear The Fox Hat, it's ealry and I completely failed to actually read your posts Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Relatively few skiers use radios & I would assume that those that are used are legal. Also the chances of getting caught using an illegal radio on a skiing holiday is almost non existent as you're moving around all the time with thousands of other people. Therefore your argument that it's ok to use an illegal radio because no snowHead has ever been caught/told not to use one is bollox.

When travelling to another country I believe that one should respect the laws of that country, whether you agree with them or not.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:

When travelling to another country I believe that one should respect the laws of that country, whether you agree with them or not.

I think at the very least the Snowheads "official" policy should be not to promote illegal activity even if individual posters choose to make up their own minds. Maybe something for the Mods to discuss?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As I understand it Motorola brought bandwidth and assigned their own 'definition' to it..therefore not recognised by a 'width' compatible or identified by standard radio services but still usable..if that makes sense. Binatone radios work on that 'bandwidth' as well apparently in Europe. And they are very cheap to buy as a twin-set, maybe 50-60 eu or less. Whether you would be able or allowed to use them in them US, I don't know but if you want them for europe, buy them here, as prev posters have advised
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:

I see your point - but I can't afford to buy radios that only get used when I go to north america, and I know that my Euro radios worked over there. In fact in Whistler, several ski shops were selling european motorola radios, and advising people to use batteroes as the european chargers won't cope with the loer voltage ovwr there
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, that's because it overlaps the American Radio Relay League's 70cm amateur radio plan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/70_centimeters
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
As I understand it Motorola brought bandwidth and assigned their own 'definition' to it..therefore not recognised by a 'width' compatible or identified by standard radio services but still usable..if that makes sense. Binatone radios work on that 'bandwidth' as well apparently in Europe. And they are very cheap to buy as a twin-set, maybe 50-60 eu or less. Whether you would be able or allowed to use them in them US, I don't know but if you want them for europe, buy them here, as prev posters have advised

I don't quite follow your post. PMR 446 is a Europe wide standard, nothing to do specifically with Motorola, see here. There are now many PMR446 manufacturers. On the PMR446 system there are 8 seperate channels, seperated in frequency by 12.5kHz. It is common for radios to use the CTCSS tone code squelch system, which means that for each individual channel there are up to 38 codes which can be set, and your radio will only automatically receive a transmission if it is set to the same code (sometimes incorrectly referred to as a sub-channel) as that being used by the transmitting radio. Note however that if someone else is transmitting at the same time on the same channel but using a different CTCSS code setting it can still interfere with your reception. As regards Motorola sets, I believe they choose to process the audio through a so called compander system (i.e compressing the audio before transmission and expanding it afterwards). This improves the signal to noise ratio and also has the effect that if a Motorola handset transmission is received on a conventional PMR446 handset, the compressed audio will sound loud and "punchy", whereas in the converse situation a conventional PMR446 handset transmission will sound weak if received on a Motorola handset. wink . Of course if both conventional handsets are used then the audio sounds normal.

The equivalent service in the US is called the Family Radio Service which operates on a different frequency band. Note nbt that the US FRS frequencies are used here by the Fire Brigade Shocked , so mfrandy is quite right to attempt to use legal PMR466 radios on this side of the pond. Very Happy .

mfrandy , I would expect it to be pretty difficult to buy them in the US and as others have said it would be far easier (and cheaper) to buy them in Europe. If you are coming to the UK first, there are many places which sell them e.g Maplin Electronics Stores or Argos Catalogue Stores, both of which have many branches through the UK. Hope you enjoy your visit to Europe, and welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Embarassed
I stand corrected. DOn;t mess with the people who save lives.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everyone for your help! Will hit Maplin or Argos in London after we get there. Just don't want to shell out cash for pay-as-you-go mobile phones. It's almost $2 to the pound these days. Very Happy
ski holidays
mfrandy wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your help! Will hit Maplin or Argos in London after we get there. Just don't want to shell out cash for pay-as-you-go mobile phones. It's almost $2 to the pound these days. Very Happy

You can usually buy them at airport branches of high street stores Dixons/Curry's digital although don't count on then being able to take them on a plane because someone paranoid enough will probably consider it suspicious behavior and a security risk. Same for avy transceivers - its a device which is triggered by radio frequencies? - you must be a terrorist!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy