Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body of British climber found after 17 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The body of a British climber who died on Mont Blanc 17 years ago has finally emerged from a melting glacier. Mike Seavers, then 31, whose parents live near Stansted, died as did three other members of his group... The two bodies were found but Mr Seavers was missing until now.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
first, there were 4 people who died, two were found right away and two were found recently.

in the article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2316409,00.html it says that the glacier they were preserved in melted. Does this mean 17 years ago (in febuary) the glacier was the same size as the melted one is today in august? Does this support or go against global warming or have I and the article missed something where the bodies sink over time?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
daehwons, usually bodies fall into crevasses and are transported down the mountain within the glacier over many years, eventually they appear at the end of the glacier or slightly higher up as the glacier melts
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The body of a British climber who died on Mount Blanc 17 years ago ...

Is this, by any chance, related to the well-known mountain Mont Blanc?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
daehwons, Glaciers move a hell of a lot, they flow like a very slow river.

I don't know the exact figures but I gues this one kept moving and eventually spat the body out of the bottom.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Look up the story of the Avro Lancastrian airliner "Stardust". It flew into a mountain in South America and vanished for 50 years. What happenned was that it flew into a glacier and snow avalanched over the crash site so rescuers couldn't even find it, let alone look for survivors. It bacame part of the glacier and emerged many years later piece by piece as it melted at the bottom of the valley. If a whole aircraft can go this way, whaty chance of finding 1 body.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, I was a documentary on that flight and the resultant disappearance and "reappearance" a couple of years ago - fascinating story. From what I recall, didn't the search focus on the wrong area? I believe the aircraft deviated quite substantially from it's intended flight path.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I forget the exact details but they went high to miss the mountains and entered the jet stream. Because the navigation method basically said fly for an hour at X mph and descend they came down short due to the unexpected headwind. The searchers were looking in the wrong place as they were looking where they should have been rather than where they were.

I think the docu was one on extreme weather, it had Stardust, the WWII Japanese balloon bombs and B-29s flying backwards in it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Look up the story of the Avro Lancastrian airliner "Stardust". It flew into a mountain in South America and vanished for 50 years. What happenned was that it flew into a glacier

If you go up to the cafe just above the Boissons galcier there is an under carriage from an Air India Constellation that crashed on Mont Blanc in 1949 or thereabouts. Apparently wreckage has been appearing out of the glacier for some time.

Bizarrely another Air India Constellation also crashed into the mountain some years later, presumeably that will also be working its way out of the mountain Shocked

When I was in Zermatt in 1995 I remember coming across newish graves in the English Church of 2 Cambridge Climers who went missing in the 1950s Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 10 years ago, the Frogs made a film about that Indian Constelation wreck, something about salavaging a rajahs jewels from the wreck stuck in a glacier rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy