Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - 1850 vs 1650 vs 1550

Poster: A snowHead
Just wanted to get some opinions.

We are going to Courchevel next year, but haven't decided on which resort.

I've stayed in 1850 before and it is really convenient, but very pricey.

1550 struck me as a good idea because the telecabine is so quick that you get the benefit of cheaper accomodation.

1650 struck me as always being too far away from the main 1850 area and not so good for the rest of the 3V

Someone also threw in La Tania into the mix saying that it was quick to get up to 1850, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Can someone help me clear up whether these are right or wrong?

Thanks

Sid
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sid
We have stayed in 1650 1850 and La Tania, of the 3 each has it's own merits and advantages but La Tania has the edge IMHO because it does have a village feel the other two lack and also a very good unofficial website
www.latania.co.uk
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KNow all 3 very well. Your conclusion on 1850 is correct and you have experience of this.

1650 is fine for links to other areas if you are of reasonable standard and set off early. I quite like 1650 and you can ski back from 1850 no probs.

1550 has new lifts and so makes connection easier but not sure about apres ski eg bars and restaurants.

La Tania is in great lcoation and quick connection to 1850 and Meribel valley. This would be your best bet if you want to make most of 3 valleys pass. Nice village, mainly apts but some chalets too. Tree lined runs back to it.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The connection 1550 to 1850 is fine, no problems, you might as well be staying in 1850. The nightlife is quiet; a few bars and restaurants, basically. Our chalet girls invariably ended up in 1650, which apparently is where it's at if you're 18.
snow report
 brian
brian
kosciosco, La Tania is better placed than it looks on the map. 2 lifts and one run to either 1850 or Méribel. It does have some nice tree skiing and a villagey feel but is very limited in facilities particularly restaurants. I think it's about the only place I've self catered where I've actually felt like cooking something by the end of the week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have stayed in 1850 and LT. As others have mentioned 3V access is v good from LT. Apres less good tho, as it is basically a (v good) family resort with only 1 or 2 good bars. If that is all you want then fine, but you may find it quiet after 1850. Definitely cheaper tho.

There is also Courchevel 1300, better known as Le Praz, on the road between C1550 and LT. Similar idea to C1550, but only reds & blacks back to the village, whereas C1550 has a blue run home. All 3 of the lower villages have decent gondola access up to C1850 so no worries there. A mate of mine stays in LP every year and says it is nice.

C1650 is out on a limb so is not the best spot if you do intend to head for Val Thorens everyday. Unless it is a bad snow year I'm not sure why you would want to, mind you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Tan is cheap and good - LaTaiga is an excellent foodery and with free ski bus to 1850 is cheapest n best option, however, tis pants if you want to party.

Im staying in 1850 over crimbo - expensive but worth it i think.

A
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
C1650 IMHO is better than most folks think for links to the 3V. 30 minutes should see you ready to ski down into Meribel from the Vizelle. 1650 also keeps the sun until late afternoon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've stayed in 15 and 16 and I prefer 15. It's virtually part of 18 slope wise and if you want to head up to 18 for beers then it's easy enough to slide down the piste to get back home. There's more nightlife in 16 than 15 though but you still have a few bars in 15 including the Pleisure bar where beers are pretty cheap.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How long does the lift from La Tania to 1850 take?

One of my concerns is that all the Ski lessons are in 1850 and I like the ones that start at 9am

Also what are the runs from 1850 back to La Tania like? We have some beginners, so they can't be too tough
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One of my concerns is that all the Ski lessons are in 1850

Eh? Who told you that? LT has a perfectly good nursery slope and getting lessons there is no problem.

The home runs to LT are a slight problem: there is a red, a blue which is a bit purple if you get my meaning, and (as of last season) a new green. Unf parts of the green are a bit steep, and it cuts across a steep section of the red at one point. If it all proves too much you can ride the gondola down.
latest report
 brian
brian
kosciosco, there isn't a direct lift LT->1850. It's a gondola followed by a medium length poma and then a longish blue run down to Courchevel. So I guess a minimum 15-20 mins or so ?

There's ESF and Magic In Motion in LT.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about 1300 - Le Praz, a proper village ?

It is while since I was there, but it gets you away from the purpose-built, station de ski feel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, Lessons both beginners LT has nursery area (can be seen on the webcam) and ski schools in village. The green back to the village is being re-modelled again thiis summer following critiscm in the winter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco - I agree with most of your comments. Here's my slant.

Stayed in both 1850 and La Tania. Last year, I drove and had 3 days in LT followed by a week in 1850. I got what I thought was best of both!

Ski-ing - Courcheval or 3V's?
Posh or not? (Posh usually means expensive!)
Lots of night life or not?
Lessons or not?

1850 - Most accom convenient for lifts, more choices for lessons. Can be VERY expensive, but more choice at night. A few cheaper alternatives to stay and drink, go where the seasonaires go! If you can afford to stay here then the extortionate taxi fares to other villlages at night may not put you off. All the main ski schools are here.

La Tania - Access to 1850 or Meribel by a two lifts journey (30 mins allow queue time), to top of Loze or Chenus. Appts or chalets,, few hotels, not what i'd call 4 star anywhere! Cheaper to stay in and eat\drink in. Found nightlife choices here limited. Option was to travel to 1850 or Meribel. Ski school I tried was Magic in Motion - excellent. Beginer can stay in LT more experienced get uplifted to above 1850. Wouldnt recoomend total beginers attempt to get from LT to 1850 in a timely manner. Red and blue runs from above 1850 to LT. These can get scraped and rocky in poor snow conditions, as can La Praz. Real beginers may not appreciate that. Also ESF in LT.

Re the others -

1650 - At the extreme left of the 3V's. Access by lift or bus to 1850 OK. On bad weather days you may find ski-ing to or back from other3V's an issue. If you only need Courcheval area, then is as good a place as any. Popular nightlife, cheaper that 1850, reasonable access to other CV villages. Many people stay in 1650 and bus to 1850 - 'bus-ing' not my cup of tea though. IMHO, a good all round choice.

1550 and L Praz(1300) - Not stayed in but skied to, both are undoubtly cheaper but access to the main 3 V's areas takes longer. Less night life than 1850. Red and black to La Praz, these can get scraped and rocky in poor snow conditions. Blues and reds to 1550. Chair and gondola lifts to 1850, so both beginer accessible to 1850. Had lessons in 1850, regularly to wait for people from other villages, particularly La Praz who got held up either bacause of lift issues, or waiting for nanny service. Even on a good day they were only just in time.

Generally, many people from LT, 1300, 1550 and 1650 migrate to 1850, so it appears to be the hub. IHMO, if you want the facilities of 1850 stay there.

You'll have a good ski where ever you'll stay. Hope the early snow (Dec \ Jan) is better this year though!
TTFN.
ski holidays
I've stayed in 1550 and 1850. Prefer 1850 for convenience.1550 is also reasonably convenient. For those who want to sample the 1850 nightlifeThe bubble runs till late at least 7ish to get up to 1850 inevening. there are buses there/back or for the truly mad/drunk you can return on a plastic bag down/tarpaulin sheet down the very wide blue run as some scottish firends once did -I copped out
snow conditions
There's also a free ski bus between La Tania & 1850 that stops at other Cs on the way as an alternative way of moving beginners to 1850. We had beginners in La Tania last year & they found nursery slopes in LT fine and were skiing from top of gondola after couple of days.
latest report
kosciosco, Bite the bullet and stay in 1850. We stayed a number of times at the Hotel Courcheneige. This is a ski-in ski out hotel with own ski shop, absolutely on the piste. Cheapest rooms are north facing but the restaurant and ambience of the place is excellent. If you drive the the car park is beneath the piste with direct access to the hotel. Although not cheap this hotel is probably the best value for money hotel of its kind in the resort. Have a look at http://www.courcheneige.com/index.html

Blow the expense - you cannot take it with you Skullie wink

Seriously, if you can afford it Courchevel 1850 is really the best appointed resort of all of them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy