Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Korea?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was just having a look at the Virgin Holidays Snow thingey online and they do ski trips to Korea! Anyone consider skiing there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowBase reports 12 resorts in South Korea - I don't think this is something I'll be doing in the near future.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there must be some kind of interest I guess if VIrgin are sticking it in their brochure?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee, Do you like khimchee ? It's Pak Choi fermented (like sauerkraut) in garlic and chillies. The Korean National dish and one exhalation after munching the stuff can clear a crowded lift lobby. Entering a cable car full of Koreans will be a memorable experience. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Indeed - eating anything in Korea is a memorable experience.

There are many varieties of KC, all of them absolutely %$&^^^$% Mr. Green
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, It's not surprising that Korea now has ski resorts - they get plenty of snow in Winter snowHead . I've seen TV documentaries about the Korean War in which former soldiers complained about the freezing cold winters out there! Winters must be on a par with Eastern Canada temperature wise (i.e bloody freezing), but judging from my recent trip to Quebec I think the cuisine in Quebec is much more to our tastes .
If I were going skiing in the Far East I would much rather ski Japan - I gather that there are several resorts in the Japanese Alps on the main island of Honshu, not to mention the resort of Sapporo on the northern island of Hokkaido. Several of these resorts have Onsens (traditional natural open-air hot springs) - no doubt very nice after a hard day's skiing! Have any Snowheads skied in Japan? - I'm sure Martin Bell must have taken part in several Downhills there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink,

Yeah, I've skied in Japan, but only in the Japanese Alps. The place I visited was called Yuzawa, where I spent a couple of days at the Hotel Sporea Yuzawa. This area has about three hills in the immediate vicinity, served by a ski bus. The hills aren't enormous, but I found that there was a surprisingly large number of lifts, when compared with the number of trails.

The skiing wasn't tremendously challenging, but it was good fun! Also , we came across an on-slope, automatic skiwaxing machine: it was in a little tent, a bit like a car wash. You put a coin in the slot, ski in over a series of rollers and brushes, and ski out at the other end. It turned out to be of French manufacture, with the rather amusing sign on it "Tunel de fartage automatique". My buddy took a photograph of me emerging from it in my racing tuck. Fortunately, I think he's lost the picture.

The hotel we were staying at had this enormous bath facility on the roof, with water from the hot springs pumped up to it. There was an outdoor jacuzzi (in which you could sit with the snow settling on your head) and an indoor bath that seemed about the size of an olympic swimming pool.

For the most part the hotel seemed to be occupied by Japanese retirees: I had a conversation with one old chap in the bath, who was proudly showing off his English and explaining how he'd once been to a conference in Eastbourne. When I told him I was visiting for the skiing, his response was:

"Ah, you play ski. I play ballroom dancing"

My ambition is to ski in Hokkaido, where the snow is a lot drier (and deeper) than the Japanese Alps: this largely depends on my persuasive powers, in that I have to persuade my other half (who is Japanese) that the next time we go to Japan, we should go to the North, rather than visit her folks in the South (no luck yet).

Whatever the conditions, Japan is a great place to visit (especially if you go with someone who speaks the language). A place of great cultural contrasts, (and terrific food).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Acacia, the auto wax machines are pretty common round the French Alpes and of course the name is fartage. I've never personally tried one as I've no particular need, has anyone tried one? Any good? I quite often ski with people who obviously need their skis waxed, might be useful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of our chalet staff worked in Korea and had skied some of the resorts, he lurks here from time to time, so he'll probably pick up this thread.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acacia, Your experience of skiing in Japan was interesting. Domo Arigato! I agree Japan is a great place to visit - I've been twice on business (incorporating a a few days site-seeing each time) but only in Summer and Autumn and mainly round the Kansai area (Kobe, Kyoto and Osaka). As regards food, I quite like Miso soup, Udon Noodles, Tempura etc (plus of course O-Bento boxes with delicious Sushi and Sashimi). Japanese beer isn't great - I preferred to drink warm sake or tea with the meals.
PS The Japanese use of English is sometimes amusing. As a souvenir I brought back a can of soft drink called Pocari Sweat! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink & Acacia, glad you both enjoyed your trips. I work for Mitsubishi Electric and have also made 3 / 4 business trips but unfortunately I have not had a chance to ski.

Kirin (which is a Mitsubishi company) and Asahi Beers are OK. Hot sake is good too. That isotonic drink has been a source of amusement to many. Here's a web site devoted to the curious mis-use of Engrish in Japan
Sayonara
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chu-hi is what young cool people drink nowadays in Japan.....Shochu(local spirit) and any kind of mixer....currently popular is Oolong Tea and Shochu.....well some people put whiskey in coffee Wink Thanks for the website kuwit ian...the majority of Japanese are completely oblivious to the amusement/anguish they create in English-speaking communities.
As Acacia mentioned one of the most rewarding parts of skiing here is that many resorts have hot springs to relax in....off the piste, off with the clothes, into the bath....after that comes the serious drinking. A morning soak before breakfast is highly recommended for hangovers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pocari Sweat is a very well known isotonic sports drink in Japan. You can get it at vending machines all over the place.

Speaking of vending machines, one of our great discoveries was at Yuzawa station: there is a souvenir shop there that has an automatic sake dispensing machine: over 50 brands of saka available to give you the opportunity to taste different brands before making a decision about which one to buy.

- You could get a set of 4 tokens for - I can't remember how much, now, but this was pretty cheap. The girl behind the counter was pretty amused when my mate went back twice for additional sets of tokens.

Just imagine a similar machine dispensing malt whiskies at an Edinburgh or Glasgow main-line station!

(Personally I prefer chilled sake)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy