Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter 2007: Zammo (snow-related presents)

Poster: A snowHead
Suggestions required:

I am buying Mrs. Zammo some skis for her birthday. Clearly I can't do this without her and she won't get her present until we're next in the mountains and she is able to test her shortlist.

So, with a birthday just weeks away, I need a couple of (small) snow-related presents as substitute for the real thing.

If you can recommend books, videos or cunning gadget-type things for a keen and (increasingly, irratatingly good) female skiler, I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Zammo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pocket edging tool, quick waxing thingy (the wipe on stuff like shoe polish), is she into technique or biographies for books?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, would probably read either technique or biogs - your quick waxing idea sounds good ....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
zammo, I've got a swatch snowpass watch which works as your hands free pass in numerous resorts (full list here) across Switzerland and Austria and some in France. Quite a nice gimmick.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check with Spyderjon for tech tools but a book to go with them could be good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, now that IS cunning. How does it work???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, Warren Smith Ski Academy DVD's and books are pretty good buys.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like my ski lock, which was bought for me from Snow and Rock I think for not much money - v useful for when she gets the new skis.

I like getting ski socks - proper ones coz they're too expensive for me to buy myself.

Dakine back pack.

Hydration pack.
latest report
 brian
brian
zammo, there's an id chip in the watch, much the same as in the card they give you as a hands free pass. You either pre-purchase online (giving the serial number of your watch) or take your watch to the ticket office, then it's just like any other hands free pass. It's quite nice to have it on your arm where you can wave it to either side rather than having to twist to get your pocket near the card reader.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Backpack like nightshift said. I have a deuter razor which has a built in back protector. Don't get the 18 litre one though as it has just about enough room for a pair of trainers and gloves and hydration pack. got it from outdoorgb.com . I have the warren smith dvds too and they are pretty good but a bit boring. Have a look at the warren miller dvds for non-instructional ski dvds. I also see you are getting into park skiing so u may want to get a dvd to give u inspiration at the same time. Here's a couple I have seen.

War: Best 05/06 dvd (poor boys productions) mainly park skiing, but a good bit of backcountry, decent special features starring: seth Morrison, Pep Fujas, Mike and Pete Olenick, TJ Schiller, John Symms, JP Auclair and many more. 9/10

The Hit List 05/06 (Matchstick productions) More backcountry than park skiing though plenty of big air tricks Shocked . 2 dvds; second dvd is a re-edited version of the first, decent features. Starring: Shane McConkey, Darren Rhalves (brief segment), Ingrid Backstrom, Jt Holmes, Mike Douglas, Pep Fujas, Eric Pollard etc... 9/10

Try fail Try 05/06 dvd (Regime Change Productions) mainly park. European dvd with alot of british skiers such as Murray Buchan and Paddy Graham. Not as polished as the above 2.
8/10

Teddy bear Crisis (Teddy Bear Crisis) alot of park. Really weird teddy bear crackhead intro Shocked . Alot of park skiiing with footage from the US open and winter x games. Alot of big names : tanner Hall, Mike Wilson, Simon Dumont, Jon Olsson, John Symms.
8.5/10 Less bang for your buck in terms of features and film length .

All of the above do have quite load soundtracks throughout with a mixture of rock hip hop and pop. For something more laid back with alot less park skiing and more in a traditional ski film guisse ( Puzzled ) go for the warren Millar flicks. Play.com s+r ellis-brigham and freeze-scotland.com should stock these films. Hope u find the present ur looking for.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian,
I've got one of those too!!

zammo, RFID.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zammo

What about a ski carrier from snow and rock. Find it absolutly invaluable after a hard days skiing. wrap it around your skis and easy peasie carry your skies over your shoulder back to the hotel.

Alternatively buy her a pair of snow cats. Fit onto the bottom of your ski boots giving additional grip on your walk back to the hotel. they also protect the toe and heel of your boots so as not to wear down the fitting into your binding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo, Get her some nice bath soak for after a long day skiing Very Happy

& champagne! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Swatch Access (Snopass) watches are the dogs danglies - just a shame France is so backward....

(Actually it isn't - it's only the ticket office staff. It's the same gates as in CH and Austria and since I wear my watch on the same side as the card pocket in my jacket, I kept getting dual readings last year)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zammo, I'd also recommend the Warren Smith DVD's/books.

I also use a ski lock, not that it really offers any problem to a determined thief but because my ski insurance is invalid if they're not locked up.

How about a pair of Walkie Talkies? I've got the BT ones & they seem to work great. Last time I looked on the BT website they were reduced from £50 to £35.

My favourite gadget is my Leatherman tool. I reckon the Wave is the best model & is ideal for a backpack although there are smaller pocket sized versions. They're pricey in the UK (pushing £90 for the Wave) but if you're interested I can dig out the US online supplier that I got my Wave from for £50 all in.

I'd also be pleased to help re an Edge Trick tuner, Zardoz Notwax puck or a tuning DVD etc.
snow report
Duct tape - the practical gift that keep on giving. It can repair clothing, make a wallet, equipment repair, homemade stickers, protect against wear and tear, turn up ski pants etc etc.
snow conditions
fatbob, Duct tape! How long have you been divorced? Laughing
latest report
Guys / Gals you've done me proud. Loads of excellent selections.

The Swatch skipass thingywotsit currently tops the list. Interesting that it uses RFID - perhaps one day airlines might introduce it for baggage and then my gear will end up in the same place as I do ....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Thanks for the tip re:walkie talkies - we had them lent to us by our chalet owners this year and loved them. Mr MAS has asked for some for Christmas so good to know where to start snowHead
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob, Duct tape! How long have you been divorced? Laughing

The woman who doesn't appreciate duct tape doesn't appreciate life Very Happy

Plus she'll be grateful when you save her a long walk home when a binding breaks and you can tape her to her skis. (I have done this with someone on a snowboard)
ski holidays
fatbob, Just for your missus: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=42060&highlight=Duct+tape
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy