Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sky in Tirol?????

Poster: A snowHead
As much as we love Very Happy our new chalet in Austria, and living here stuffs old Blighty in most ways, we do miss one thing - British TV Embarassed

Does anyone out there know of any way of recieving British TV in the Tirol? We are fed up with the one English speaking channel - CNN (who are obsessed with the Middle East)

We have bought our Sky Decoder with an active card, but it does sod all out here. Worse is the fact that British TVs don't receive correctly in Austria - so we have 4 TVs not doing alot!

Any suggestions?

Mike and Caroline
Ski Haus Holidays
www.skihaus.co.uk
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mike & Caroline, you need a bigger dish. 2m or so should do it ....

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2M dish will look just superb on a pretty little chalet Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike & Caroline,

Try and find someone who can sell you a Dragon Cam and a Cerebo Card. this will decode all the premier network ( German equivalent to Sky ) inc pay per view movies.

Set your audio channel to english and watch with joy.

you coud try here http://satcards.co.uk
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This probably really isn't applicable in the case of people that have moved from the UK, but for people who are based in the UK but are doing seasons, or spend a lot of time away from home, or even if you just have a laptop and want to be able to watch tv anywhere in your house or garden get yourself a SlingBox.

Slingbox is a network device with a built in freeview box, but it can also hook up to any video device or decoder and allow you to control it remotely, then stream the video over the internet.

www.slingmedia.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike & Caroline, how about learning the local language? Then you can watch and understand all the same crap you get to see on sky. Just a thought Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or should that be "all the same Scheiße"?
Don't forget one of the most successful ski-racers of my generation, in terms of a post-sporting career: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Assinger (Presenter of Austrian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winterhighland, Sony do a similar thing, but you need a very quick broadband connection to use it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
According to that diagram, I'm in a 130cm zone but we get a perfect signal with a 70cm dish so you might be able to use something not too hideous where you are.

As a large dish and bracket will only cost you about £50 it would be worth a punt if you're desparate for English telly.

I installed a Sky mini dish in the UK this weekend by estimating where the satellite was (couldn't find a compass) and that was easy enough. I'm not sure if you'll need to be more accurate with a larger dish but you shouldn't need one of those satellite meters. I installed our 70cm dish in France fairly easily using a compass to line it up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Bell, Armin Assinger! One of the best ski commentators of all time. He gets so excited he can hardly talk whenever one of his Austrians is on the piste. You can practlically hear him eating his knuckles Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ben wright wrote:
I'm not sure if you'll need to be more accurate with a larger dish but you shouldn't need one of those satellite meters. I installed our 70cm dish in France fairly easily using a compass to line it up.

Physics dictates that a larger dish has a narrower beamwidth. For a 70cm dish you need to move approx 3 degrees off axis before the signal drops to zero, but for a 2 metre dish this value becomes less than 1 degree, so you need more accurate alignment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will actually watch ORF during the ski seasson as the coverage is more comprehensive than Eurosport.

I can't understand a bloody thing but hay what do you need to know when the pictures are self explanitory. Also ORF have fantastic daily roundups and skiing news magazines.

However because I have Sky and a steerable dish I watch ORF with Eurosport commentary through my audio amp.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very much correct Alastair. Connecting a Sky dish can be done without to much technicall equipment but you do run the risk of no reception during bad weather if you are not completely accurate.

However a Steerable dish is a totally different matter and should only be undertaken by a professional unless you are experienced and have the correct satellite metres.

A steerable dish as to move in an arc so getting one satellite is easy but getting all satellites on your horizon is difficult.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

We also live in Austria, and I know what you mean about CNN!!!

Do you have cable TV??? Here where we are you can get BBC Choice( a range of BBC programs) and BBC World( news channel) on cable digital.

I think the chart does not apply to BBC anymore and ITV we have friends near here who cannot recieve those channels, on Sky. There get Channel 4 and 5.

To recieve BBC and ITV our friends who live near Schladming have a 2.4 m dish!!!

"this will decode all the premier network ( German equivalent to Sky ) inc pay per view movies.

Set your audio channel to english and watch with joy. "- I not heard of this before how do you do this I thought premire German and Austria only broadcast in German. Is this the premir you mean:-

http://www.premiere.at/premweb/cms/de/index.jsp

Thanks Nigel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well blow me (not literally)

Thanks to all who have replied. I didn't expect much on this topic. I understand most of the replies and will try at least one method. Big dish sounds most promising, especially as I have a decoder with sky card already. However, disguising it on our rather beautiful chalet could prove challenging! As for learning the local language!! We're trying. Fitting a dish may take a day or two, learning German a year or two, learning Tirolean is bloody hard!

Cheers Laughing

Mike and Caroline
Ski Haus Holidays

www.skihaus.co.uk
ski holidays
Mike & Caroline, how big will your sig on your next post be?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Mike & Caroline, how about learning the local language? Then you can watch and understand all the same crap you get to see on sky. Just a thought Toofy Grin

I'm not sure what they speak in Tyrol but it don't sound like German.
snow conditions
DB, it's not as bad as (Klein) Walser! I've been living with my Walser wife for 17 years, but when the Walser get together I think I've landed on a different planet. And I grew up in Austria!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy