Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy

Poster: A snowHead
We have now skied Swiss, Austrian and French resorts and apart from a day trip to Cervinia, we haven't as yet tried Itlay. So I am looking for suggestions for Italian resorts for end Feb/March. Our requirements for 4 adventurous, Intermediate adults are:

Preferrably picturesque village

Lively Apres, but night clubs not required

Large ski area, or small resort with easy access to large ski area
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi IncogSkiSno, have not skied there for a few years, but would recommend the Dolomite area - one of my top two favourite ski resorts is Madonna di Campiglio in the Brenta dolomites. It is excellent for intermediates, has a SCGB rep if needed, excellent mountain restaurants. ( I can recommend a good hotel if you are really interested ). The village is Ok, a very Italian resort, apres ski would not describe as lively but " sophisticated ". Ski area is from memory 150kms and is linked with Folgarida and Marivella. Mostly, below tree line so you are skiing through pretty tree trails for most of the time. I am sure you would enjoy it!. I am hoping to go there either next season or the one after.

BTW - how is Roxy doing?.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Our requirements for 4 adventurous, Intermediate adults are

Oh so many punch lines Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, that sounds good to me snowHead

Roxy is doing well thanks!

boredsurfin, Laughing BEHAVE!!! rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somewhere like Claviere could be good. It gives access to the Milky Way area (albeit from one end rather than the middle) without having to stay in the monstrosities that are Sauze and Sestriere. The village is small so apres is limited (although we spent every night having a whale of a time in the same place). It certainly has a few draw-backs but is good on the whole.

I've always wanted to go somewhere in the Dolomites and have had many people recommend them to me as fantastic. So that's another option.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, I would always recommend Arabba ... apres not too lively - but fine if you can make your own in the bars. No night clubs.

Lots written about the Dolomites in general, Arabba and other resorts on snowHead if you do a search.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HappyMouffe and I are going to Arabba, but we've not been before so no other helpful comment...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoppo wrote:
HappyMouffe and I are going to Arabba, but we've not been before so no other helpful comment...

Arabba is in the Dolomites and has some pretty steep and deep offpiste terrain. It is also connected with the Sella Ronda circuit which would take an intermediate skier about a 1/2 day to complete and the route ( clockwise or anti-clockwise ) goes through many of the dolomites resorts ( though not Madonna which is in the nearby Brenta ). Would recommend that route for a days skiing and you are literally connected with many 100s klms of pistes. A good base is Selva val Gardenia.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't go to the Dolomites unless you want to die of boredom propping up some piano bar in the evening, if you're lucky.

Cervinia would be a good option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nickski, No, this is not what I want, I am into the Austrian style of Apres Confused

I have skied Cervinia, albeit for one day, and was looking for somewhere new to try. The Apres in Zermatt was good Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Apres in Sauze is very good as are a lot of restaurants . . . but it can be marginal for decent snow, you're dependant on a couple of crucial links and there are a lot of drags and the ones to get back to Sauze from the bowl towards Sestriere can develop horrendous queues/scrums. Other than that it's fine !

Cervinia is a great ski area and you're linked to Zermatt. Not stayed overnight there so not sure what the Apres is like.

Livigno could be another option. That's pretty lively.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno,

I have been to 3 Italian resorts. Here is a brief summary.

Passo Tonale:

Transfer 2 hours from Bergamo
1900m - 3000m with glacier
Pretty snow sure
Not pretty. Exposed on mountaion pass.
Good value
Now linked to Ponte di Ligno

Livigno

Transfer 4.5 hrs from Bergamo (Not as bad as it sounds. 1 hr food break included)
1800m - 2800m
Snow sure
More scenic than Passo, but not choclate box
Good value
Skiing on both sides of valley
Great Apres ski

Madonna

Only skied here for 2 days on seprate trips
Transfer - probably 2 hours
1500m - 2700m
Good snow
Stunning Scenery
Great lift system
Don't know about apres, but would think it is more reserved than Austria.

If you had Livigno's Apres ski in Madonna I would go for Madonna
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stallion's family have a pad in Madonna di Camp. - give him a call! Neh Neh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nickski wrote:
Livigno could be another option. That's pretty lively.

Duty free resort. But the transfer time is 4 to 5 hours!!.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think anyone's mentioned Courmayeur yet. It's a small town, not a village, but it's very charming. The food is first class, on the snow and in the town. The apres ski is reasonably sophisticated (Italian, rather than ski resort). It doesn't have a huge area, which may rule it out for you, although I understand that in the right conditions the off piste is very good, but the whole of the Aosta valley is at your disposal if you have a car, as is Chamonix.
latest report
richmond, Thanks for your suggestion, but I shall rule it out for this trip. We are staying in Thollon over NY which is within driving distance of both Chamonix and Courmayeur should we decide to give them a try. . . SZK watch out I could walk through that door of yours yet Twisted Evil
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, apart from the apres, which is nothing to write home about, Champoluc or Gressoney in the Monterosa area would suit: large area with plenty for your standard of skier/boarder, and picturesque. Cervinia is another option, but not that picturesque, and adventurous skiers can head for Zermatt when they get bored (and they will).
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Did Sauze a couple of years ago, snow wasn't great, resort seemed ok but nothing special. Last January went to Canazei and I thought it was wonderful. With the Sella Ronda you've got access to an enormous skiing area, providing plenty of variety for all levels, and I’d suggest the scenery in that area is second to none. Canazei itself is essentially a traditional village rather than purpose built resort (I seem to prefer this). I gather the lift system used to be a bit ropey, but that’s been updated and certainly compares to, or is better than the 3 valleys area, There are numerous restaurants and bars, and I didn’t find any absence of nightlife. It’s not that popular with the British – some might think that’s a blessing. You tend to find quite a lot of eastern Europeans there, and the English language isn’t very common either, although that didn’t seem to pose a problem.
Hope this is useful. snowHead
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, have been to Sestriere - not pretty as it's in a wide open bowl and not many trees but you would probably enjoy the skiing. When the link to Sauze is open, the reds over there are great fun. The restaurants are generally pretty good. In Sestriere itself, there are some nice hotels. We stayed at the Cristallo which is just over the road from the lifts (2 mins walk via the ski lockers). Transfer from Turin only about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours max. Usually fairly quiet during the week but can get busier at the weekend. I've not been since the Olympics so don't know about any improvements, although I'm sure there's lots. Have a look on the Ski Club website - there's quite a lot of feedback info
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy