Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
What should I be looking for in a pair of skiing sunglasses?

http://www.jamesandjames.com/oakley/htmlfiles/products/home/home.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dark lenses
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fit. All the Oakley glasses have the required UV protection and impact resistance so you shouldn't need to worry about that. What you do need is something that fits well (i.e. won't fall off your head to easily) and that looks ok on as well (if you have a thin face then don't get wide glasses). Lens colour is important too, as i don't think there are to many Oakley's with interchangeable len's (M-Frames maybe?). Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok . . . do they need to be polarised and what colour lense. marc gledhill says dark, so is a black lense best?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, not too dark, and don't bother with polarised. I'd suggest you go for Fire Iridium lenses. I think they are the dogs dangly bits.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno,
Pop over to Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth to the Oakley shop, widest choice around and really helpful staff!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Smith's with interchangeable lenses for ski-ing and the Oakleys for driving and non-skiing sunny days Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used Smith, Bloc and Arnettes since having problems with Oakley lenses. I found that even the black iridium was not good enough when skiing at 2500m and above and I was suffering with very sore eyes. No such problems with the others. IMHO Oakleys are seriously overpriced.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, Oakleys are the dogs. Have had 3 pairs and they are pretty bulletproof. My current pair are an old pair of Frogskins which I have had since 98 and they are still going strong. As Foxy says go for the Fire Iridium lenses. They look good and give you really good definition in most conditions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, There was a picture of some chavvy looking bloke holding a fish on here recently, he was wearing some cool sunnies Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oakleys are definetely the way forward. I've got a couple of pairs for sun and skiing and a very battered pair of Eye Jackets for mountain biking and i haven't got a single complaint about them. The customer service is also superb and if you ever break a frame they will fix/replace it for virtually nothing. The goggles are damn fine as well...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd echo stocky's comment about Oakley's being bulletproof and Wear The Fox Hat's about not bothering with polarisation.

I paid £60 extra for polarisation for mine, and heavily dislike the effect when looking at glass or metal - so much so that I'll squint through my normal glasses rather than use the Oakley's for driving. The benefits in reduction of glare from snow seem pretty marginal. Put it this way - if I could pay £60 to get them unpolarised, I'd be right down the optician.

In terms of what lenses to get, you probably have an idea what sort of "rate of transmission %" or "light index" works for you. Personally I have amber/gold lenses in my goggles and glasses which I find fine in all conditions. My wife has black iridium lenses in her Oakley's, and they work for her even in low light whereas everything looks pretty gloomy through them to me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whatever you get, make sure you get soem Oakley yellow lense's. They are teh best for late day, flat light and night skiing. IMHO, look past teh Oakley hype and the "name", they DO make some of the best optics out there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
IncogSkiSno, There was a picture of some chavvy looking bloke holding a fish on here recently, he was wearing some cool sunnies Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love my oakleys - my 2 best sunglasses are Oakley. One I got from Harrods for £60 - quite basic plastic framed, but I use them for any outdoor sports as they're so light, wrap around the face well, and have good vision.

My other pair were about £180 from John Lewis - back in the days when I worked for Waitrose and as such got 25% off that price..... Laughing

I like them - but I find they're not as practical, just look good Smile Lenses are very good though.
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Quote:

IncogSkiSno, There was a picture of some chavvy looking bloke holding a fish on here recently, he was wearing some cool sunnies

OI Evil or Very Mad Laughing

IncogSkiSno, you only had to ask...I was wearing them on my head remember? Very Happy (Oakley XX with fire iridium lenses - expensive though)
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I find a lot of Oakleys are too large for my face - you may find the same. I have the Oakley Minute which are OK - I don't really wear them for skiing any more though as sunnies play havoc with contact lenses. I tend to just wear googles. You really need to try them on for size - and then buy off the internet for a good price once you've found a pair you like.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advise! Very Happy I finally bought a set of Oakley 'Unknown' for £80, grey with dark grey lenses. They weren't for me - my kids were buying them for their Dad for his birthday. He tends to wear his gogles for flat light, so he only really needed them for normal and sunny conditions. If they aren't suitable, we can get a full refund. Very Happy
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
What should I be looking for in a pair of skiing sunglasses?

http://www.jamesandjames.com/oakley/htmlfiles/products/home/home.htm

Goggles. Sunglasses are strictly for punters Very Happy
snow conditions
I always wear goggles for actual skiing - find my eyes just stream otherwise..... (maybe I just go too fast?!)
ski holidays
The fire iridium lense helps with definition of the snow lines. A must for flat light days.

Amber (Rootbeer)lenses for driving.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Very Happy The number of Brits that turn up for my lessons in Whistler wearing sunglasses & headbands..........

25 mins later we're at the shop at the Rendezvous buying goggles. rolling eyes
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Very Happy The number of Brits that turn up for my lessons in Whistler wearing sunglasses & headbands..........

I tend not to wear sunglasses unless it is above 35 degrees and then it is usually a M-frame or retro "Factory Pilots"
latest report
tried skiing in my oakley e-wires , quickly changed back to goggles, even for sunny conditions I found sun glasses didnt work for me.
snow report
I've always found glasses haven't worked for me and also end up skiing in my goggles whatever the weather. But this year I'm going to give ruddy project a go for glasses because I'm just not a fan of oakleys.
snow conditions
I've always rated Dirty Dog sunnies. They are unbelievable value and run rings around alot of the other brands with the specification. I have a standard pair and they were even able to put prescription lenses in another pair for me.
ski holidays
I think i go against the trend here. I wear glasses (Oakley Eye Jackets and Minutes) for all my skiing except when the weather really closes in and i put on the goggles. Just find them more comfortable really, no other reason.
ski holidays
If you're looking for comfort, coverage and UV protection (100%), you could try looking at a pair of Cebe Bumbles. Got a pair a few weeks back and I'm very impressed. They were certainly the most comfortable glasses I tried by a big margin. I know some will poo poo them as they're not Oakley's, but I tried some of the oakley range and they just didn't feel right.
[edited for spelling - there's a surprise rolling eyes]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with stevec, unless the conditions are bad then it's sunnies all the way. Far more comfortable and every bit as effective for the type of skiing I do.
latest report
veeeight wrote:
fatbob wrote:

I always have both goggles and specs with me. In whistler by the time you get up to the horstman hut the weather has probably already changed so that you want to put sunglasses back on again Cool
latest report
I prefer sunglasses, but wouldn't buy Oakleys cos they're ridiculously overpriced. However in very cold weather, snow, bad light or whatever, it has to be goggles. Best value is probably to buy goggles with changeable lenses so you've got everything covered.
snow report
I wear my google most of the time, otherwise I find my eyes water. My sunglasses are Bollé ones, and are great for sunny days. As they have rose pink lenses they aren't toobad if the sun goes in either.
snow conditions
Sorry, but I'm with veeight on this one, goggle are for skiing not sunglasses.

Also, Oakely - fashion victims!!!!

I ski not pose and therefore use Smith and Bolle goggles, when I'm apres getting drunk I wear Gatorz Radiators (www.gatorz.com)

Had oakleys in the past, they're expensive for what they are.

A
latest report
I only buy cheaper now, (not Cheap £2.99 from the market) but under £30. For the last 3 ski trips I have had to buy some.
1st pair I had for years got cracked,
2nd pair lost
3rd pair sat on when I hung them off my back pocket to go into tesco's. Therefore I blame Tesco's.
snow report
adam_button wrote:
Oakely - fashion victims!!!!

I ski not pose and therefore use Smith and Bolle goggles, when I'm apres getting drunk I wear Gatorz Radiators (www.gatorz.com)

Had oakleys in the past, they're expensive for what they are.

A

I use oakleys as they are the only glasses I can wear to ski in, and being really short sighted I need lenses in them. The sub £30 lookalikes in plastic won't do the job. I also use them for driving and find the polarised lenses a big help.

I also have a pair of normal (non sunglass) oakleys for use under my helmet for indoor skiing through gates. A normal pair of glasses really hurts as a well fitting helmet put some pressure on the ears. The straight ear stems are the best here.

I also use bolle photochromic lense googles, and even have a pair of the £35 perscription goggles form tesco.

Basically I get the best item for the job (that I can afford). Yes my perscription oakley sunglasses were expensive (2 pair of Awire's with the oakley ice polarised lenses for £310)

Oakley plastic frames are expensive, and overrated in my opinion. The dealers control the price, but they are not expensive in reality. checkout http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Designer-Glasses for oakley perscription frames for normal lenses for a real indication of oakley prices. I then get clear kodak lenses put in mine. This is avctually even cheaper than getting the "bargain" range of glasses at any high street specs shop.
ski holidays
I blame Tesco's for my skis as I parked in their car park at the time lol (not sure if that works)

A
ski holidays
I have always liked Oakley form and fit for my face, as well as the quality of the view from their lenses.

Over the weekend, I was exposed to Utopia Optics.
The product line this rep had set up was geared toward the motocross crowd, but he had some great literature for their snow sports line.

He gave me a deal on a pair of sunglasses, in exchange for letting him set up at our race event, and I have to say, I really like these sun glasses. They are light weight, clear vision, the ear piece fits nicely without pressure under my bike helmet. Time will tell, but for the initial use, I like these.
These are the actual model I got:
http://www.utopiaoptics.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_44&products_id=95
ski holidays
BUMP

I had to return the Oakley Unknowns to the shop as they didn't fit my SO very well. The shop http://www.jamesandjames.com/ were going to give me a full refund and were most helpful. Fortunately my SO decided to try some Oakley Monster Dogs, and they fit perfectly, so we bought them instead. Very Happy
snow report
Use Oakley Hy-Wire but not for skiing (too expensive). Got a pair of Bloc for skiing on sunny days and I'm more than happy with them.
snow conditions
stevec wrote:
The customer service is also superb and if you ever break a frame they will fix/replace it for virtually nothing.

I've heard this a lot, but it doesn't match my experience. I damaged a lens and sent them back to Oakleys hoping that they'd fix it, if not for free, then at least for a price that reflected the fact that I'd already forked out big bucks for the glasses in the first place. It took them 2 months, and they sent them back with a bill for 80 quid. I like the glasses, but ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy