Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody been to both?

What do you think?

Please bear in mind we are early intermediates bordering on timid at times who love wide cruising blues (think Obergurgl and Cervinia), and its for early-mid December.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi,

Been to Saalbach. The place is made for cruising. Haven't been to Ischgl, but it looks interesting too
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, I love Saalbach and the skiing would suit you if the conditions are good. Directly above Saalbach there are some good blue and red runs which are wide. THe town is great with some v.good hotels and apres. The lift network is also excellent but snow wise, early Dec is right at the start of their season and the year before last they didn't open until late December.

For snow reliability, go for Ischgl. We have booked to go next March having been to Saalbach twice so I can't offer first hand experience, but following my research, we went for Ischgl because it was close to Saalbach in terms of terrain, lift network etc. It's higher though so more snow sure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Saalbach a couple of times. I agree with what hayley t says, and would emphasise - it's not the most snow-sure before Christmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Is anywhere?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, um, depends how far afield you're prepared to look Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat,

I know. I had complete confidence in snow conditions when I went to Sunshine/ LL on 29th November!!!!

As they say in Canada. It was awsome snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy, Scroll down to the bottom of this page

24 year AVERAGE snow depth in December is 157cm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Nice snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Ischgl, but not Saalbach. I'm not sure how great it is for timid early intermediates, I recall waiting a long time for less experienced people in our group getting down to resort at close of play. I do remember some terrific red runs though and the off piste is also very good.

Bit of a quandry though, as the snow will be better in the resort that probably suits your group the least of the two.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, I have posted previously about teh suitability of Ischgl because that was first choice for a while. The main comment was the nasty runs into resort versus the bubbles. We have no problem about getting a lift down - its more about whats up there during the day.

Comments now then?

hayley t, I was wondering about snow sureness (is that a word?) Apparently they have a good snow cannon network. We are planninmg on the weekend of 16 and 17th. Is that a little more confidence boosting?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi, I wnet to Saalbach in 2004. We had a superb time but we went at the end of January. The tour operator rep said that she arrived in the second week of December and there was no snow at all below 1600m. It only arrived just before Christmas.

Put the snow in Saalbach and it is superb, but mid December may be a risk.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, If you are DIYing it then you can take a risk and if there isn't much snow, you can use the bus/car to go over to the glacier at Kaprun near Zell. They do have cannons in Saalbach and pretty good coverage but it has to be sufficently cold enough to use them. Last season, they opened early Dec with loads of snow. As Peter B said, a year earlier it was just before Christmas.

I'd be suprised if you struggled with Ischgl as it's a huge ski area and I'm sure you'll find something. It sounds like you are looking for a fairly smart/upmarket resort, so perhaps you might want to look at Lech. I've heard it is good cruising terrain, well groomed etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter B,

Quote:

there was no snow at all below 1600m

is there skiable snow above that?

To be honest we are planning 3-4 days, without kids, and to celebrate my birthday. I am being driven by hotels at resorts, rather than resorts and then choose a hotel. The hotel in Saalbach has enough going on such that if it werent the greatest of conditions we could keep amused doing other things. BUT. Whilst a reduced skiing day in terms of hours would be acceptable NIL skiing at all is not.

hayley t, good idea. How far is it in terms of driving time and assuming we have a car?

Will refer to my "bible" on Lech, as you have suggested!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, It's about a 20 min drive between Zell and Saalbach, Kaprun is about 10mins from Zell, but it can take a while to get up to the glacier and start skiing.

If it's a resort with smart hotels you are looking for, then Bad Gastein may also fit the bill. It's about 1 hour from Salzburg, the Salzburgerhof is an excellent hotel with fantastic food. The resort has thermal swimming baths as it's a spa town. The skiing is fairly straightforward, with some long runs. We loved Dorfgastein 20mins down the valley for long runs and Sport Gastein about 10 mins from Bad Gastein is high - around 2,700m top height so you shouldn't have a problem with snow. The skiing in the immediate BG area is also moderate - blues and reds and the main lift is walking distance from the Salzburgerhof Hotel as are the thermal baths.

Sorry to bombard you with alternatives but it sounds like you're looking for a similar level/standard that we look for in a ski hol. for two!

Just out of interest, which hotels were you looking at in Saalbach and Ischgl?
snow report
I'm not sure I'd recommend Bad Gastein given the criteria. In fact it probably combines the worse elements of the other two options: low altitude and not especially easy slopes. SportGastein is high but is small and is a car or bus ride away, which is a pain if it is the only area open (as it might be that early in season).

If booking in advance there is no contest: go for Ischgl and download by gondola, Peter Leuzzi.
latest report
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Peter B,

Quote:

there was no snow at all below 1600m

is there skiable snow above that?

Yes, there is a reasonable amount of skiing above the midstations on a number of pistes which is at about 1550m. Kwolferkogel, Schattberg, Bernkogel and Spieleckkogel are all about 2000m.
ski holidays
the ice perv, BG is the same altitude as Saalbach and Sport Gastein is only 10 mins away by bus. I thought the skiing over towards Bad Hofgastein was pretty straightforward, but as you say not as easy as Saalbach, though it has Sport Gas. as an option if snow is dodgy lower down. It's worth a trip to the Salzburgerhof alone, it's a really nice hotel!

Peter Leuzzi, if you can get hold of some historical snow forecasts that might help you make a decision. The last season is available free on the SCGB web site but it was an exceptional start in the Tirol and Salzburg regions.
ski holidays
hayley t, in Ischgl it is Madlein and in Saalbach its Theresia
snow report
Sorry people....what about Zell? Have just found a great hotel, but what of the skiing. I know nowt about it? Standard? Rate it compared to Iscgl and Saalbach?
latest report
Quote:

BG is the same altitude as Saalbach

Exactly! That was my point:- BadG is no higher/reliable than Saalbach and is no easier than Ischgl. SportG only has 2 lifts and about 5 runs, from memory it is best for off-piste rather than the cruisy blues Peter Leuzzi is looking for. The skiing above BadHofG is easier but from BadG you can't get there without getting a bus or skiing down some tasty reds.
snow report
I have just read the infinitive Zell thread and it sounds promising. Thoughts people, please?
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Zell is a great town and from there you'll have easier access to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier if snow is limited elsewhere. The snow record for Zell isn't quite as good as Saalbach though. I skiied Zell on my 2nd and 3rd weeks and managed all the blue and red runs with reasonable comfort. You could easily have a day skiing the Saalbach circuit from Zell also if the snow is good. Are you looking at the Grand Hotel - I've always liked the look of it!
ski holidays
If you are willing to take a chance and book in advance, Saalbach, BadG and Zell are probably all much of a muchness for snow reliability. Zell does at least have the Kaprun glacier as a back-up, which is bigger than SportGastein's high area. Go for Ischgl.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
hayley t, in Ischgl it is Madlein and in Saalbach its Theresia

Nice, I was looking at the Theresa for our group trip, but they didn't want 33 binge drinking northerners so it's back to france where they do wink
snow report
marc gledhill, and the Austrians dont like copious alcohol consumption?
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, in reality, they couldn't fit us in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy