Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort choices

Poster: A snowHead
OK have just pencilled in dates for about 8 trips this coming season Laughing and now need to decide on locations rolling eyes .

We will be driving and have our own kit, stay in apartments to save cash. We ski off piste (but are not experts at it). Last year in Meribel we only skied on piste to get to the off piste but that is the first ime we have managed that. We also tend to be first lift out and last lift back type people (and have missed the last lift beore now!). Not worried about night life as we are often catching up with work in the evening (the joys of self employment). So our holidays are about max ski and min cost (otherwise couldn't go so often). As well as downhill we also like to practice on our tele skis on some of the easier runs. Location wise last time we did Davos, Tignes, Meribel (twice), Cham (for a long weekend) and Cervinia (mainly skied over the border) as well as 10 days hut to hut in Norway.

So what would be your reccomendations throughout the season as we have weeks pencilled in from xmas through to end of April. Happy to stay further away to save costs as we usually have a car.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowcat, have you tried the off-piste in Serre Chevalier?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never skied in SC - for other areas (Cham, Val, 3V) we have little guide books as from Vamos. Being mountaineers we tend not to be into paying for guides, is there an off piste guide for SC or does it feature in one of the others?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcat, i'm not sure about that, although i know there is certainly plenty of it. It is close to La Grave/La Meije, so it may be in there. I can certainly find out for you though, our friend is a ski instructor out there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/ser/index.htm . This might give you an idea of what there is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its prob in the Alpe d'Huez guide which also includes La Grave - I'll check with partner in Inverness as I think he has that one - but also helpful if your friend has any info - sometimes there are guidebooks available locally which we in the wider world can't find out about.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
snowcat, Helen Beaumont, the La Grave Vamos book also covers Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez, don't think it covers Serre Chevalier though.

All areas with excellent off piste reputations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta for the link Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian wrote:
snowcat, Helen Beaumont, the La Grave Vamos book also covers Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez, don't think it covers Serre Chevalier though.

All areas with excellent off piste reputations.

Thanks for the info Brian. I guess we can easily drive across to LG from SC
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcat, you could try La Rosiere, good value resort that's mainly poular with families so the off-piste doesn't get tracked out very quickly. If you're into ski touring there are some great itineries nearby, including the 20km descent of the Ruitor galcier, that's usually done by heli-skiing but you can hike to it. There are also off-piste routes from La Thuile to Courmayer, but you would definitely need a guide for that trip. Our skiing in the domain Espace San Bernardo is shared between France and Itlay, we're very close to the Mont Blanc massif so you get some terrific snow right through the season but we're only 30-40 mins away from Les Arcs, Tignes and Val d'Isers with Ste Foy 20 mins down the road if there's a fresh snowfall.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcat, looking at the IGN maps of the Serre Che area will probably be a good start. Some of the touring routes are marked on there. Also, looking at the "legedary routes" bit of www.skierslodge.com will get your imagination going.

this is probably a very ill-informed comment, but my impression of Serre Che is that a lot of it isn't too complex so the absence of a guide-book needn't hold you back. Also, it's not glaciated so that's one objective danger you don't need to worry about

moving away from Serre Che, have you tried Gressoney/Alagna (that does have a guidebook)? i reckon that would be right up your street. also, engelberg is good fun and you have the swiss ski maps which make finding your way round a bit easier
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcat,

Are you making 8 road trips from Cumbria?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bourg St Maurice as a base offers easy access by funicular to Les Arcs and La Plagne, and by car to La Rosiere/La Thuile, St Foy, Tignes/Val d'Isere and even to the Trois Vallees if you don't mind a drive of an hour or so. Across these ski domains there is enough skiing for whatever you like to do, but staying in BSM can offer cheaper accommodation and grocery prices than higher up the mountain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcat, I know a couple of good guides that are happy to give you free info about our area; Alpe d'Huez, La Grave Le Meije or he charges 320 euros for the days guiding for up to 4 pax.
If you are looking for cheap accommodation I can get some very good deals here plus a little discount on your passes! Reading back over the last couple of entries, this guide Pascal Junnique who is based here has guided all over the French and Italian alpes and is very informative so if you would like his contact details then drop me a PM.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcat, If you want to do either ADH or LDA cheaply you can stay in either Venosc or Bourg D'Oisans. Easy drives both ways. How long are your stays? It sounds as if you'd need multiples to the Oisans (I include SC although it isn't) to even scratch the surface here! You wouldn't be able to do all our marked itineraries in one day - probably need 3 or 4 (assuming good snow). I'm sure the same applies to ADH & SC (not to mention La Grave) - and that's without any rope work!!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcat, you would need a guide in the Serre C, off piste. There are a few areas where you could end up falling off a cliff edge and some of the most beautifull runs are through the trees where it would be easy to get lost without a guide. If you do come this way Mrs. Chris and I would be happy to show you around some off piste areas and could proberbly you get set up with a pro guide.
ski holidays
I have to second Arnos suggestion of Monterosa (Cressoney, Alagna and Champoluc). Fantastic offpiste, cheap accommodation, good food and away from the crowds. Loads of itinereries and probably doable without a guide for someone with enough experience (not me). Recent closure of a derelict cable car has preserved some awesome terrain for those who are willing to hike.
snow report
PP,

That was a great cable car and it would be some hike, I'd imagine... Sad
ski holidays
Yes, not for the faint hearted (I imagine) if you want to go all the way from the top, but there are a number of possibilities requiring only a few minutes walk. Besides, snowcat sounds like someone who enjoys the way up as much as the way down. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy