Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole - anyone been? top tips and advice needed please!

Poster: A snowHead
looks like we could be heading off to jackson hole this year. mainly experienced boarders but we could open the invite to include some at a more intermediate level but the main worry is they'll find the terrain to difficult as nearly every review ive read says so, just a few have said theres plenty for the less experienced boarder as well. can any one comment on this?

also we're looking to get some backcountry training and guiding when we're there - if anyone has done this over there is there a company you could recommend?

where is the best place to stay in the area? down in jackson hole its self or in the area nearer the slopes?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frostie1861, I've been. It's snowHead snowHead snowHead
OK, firstly, regarding difficulty. There are plenty of runs for intermediates (both on and off piste). You may also want to go up the road to Grand Targhee, which has a lot of less challenging terrain. (and tends to be less busy, as it's not as fashionable.

Going BC in JH, the best person to speak to on here is Bob Peters (he doesn't post much, but look him up). He lives in JH, and can give you the low down on the back country.

Accomodation is a more interesting call. I'll try to give you a breif overview...
Staying in Jackson:
+ More restaurants, bars, shops, generally better value for money for the hotels.
- 15 minute (free) bus ride to the slopes.

Staying in Teton Village (at the slopes):
+ at the slopes, the Mangy Moose.
- fewer options on restaurants/bars/shops. Apart from HostelX, more expensive for lodging.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers for the info. i was in fernie a couple of seasons ago and there was a similar bus ride there (although you had to pay for it) and it wasnt an issue at all so could well opt to saty in JH itself. i'll see if can contact Bob Peters to get some info on the backcoutry stuff and let the intermediates know thers nothing to be scared of

thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gratuitous excuse to post a holiday pic...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks rubbish, dont think i'll bother now...... Very Happy Very Happy

that looks pretty damn special actually!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a few more pics here, but they are interspersed with ones from Alta/Snowbird...

http://photos.wtfh.com/album/Epic%202004/index.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great pics! just love seeing snow covered trees! very reminiscent of fernie actually and fernie was awesome. this isnt good. its still 7 months away and im getting excited!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks.

But it is good to get excited about it - takes your mind of the Sad summer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
true, and looking out my window you'd never believe it was summer today!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
frostie1861,

I had two splendid pre-season days back country with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides. I think my guides were Lynne and Georgie. No idea re snowboard guiding.

No idea either about piste skiing there beyond its awesome rep but it's on my list.

Stayed in some motel in central JH and drove to our start points. Check Jackson out at Ultimate-Ski. Liked Snake River Brewing Company and the Silver Dollar.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers david!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frostie1861,

Jackson Hole isn't actually that big a night out, though it is better for restaurants. If you're going independant, Painted Buffalo Inn in town was very reasonable and easily walkable to town centre.

To be honest it isn't a massive ski area and after a while you do find yourself skiing the same lower runs so definitely worth getting a guide. Virtually the whole mtn is skiable if you know where to head and a guide would also take you out of bounds (presumably). Personally my favourite runs were back down through the trees under the cable car, anything off the Tram or Thunder chair or the Hobacks (do these in the morning because can become very heavy going in afternoon, mind you > if you're on boards you should be OK).

Also Grand Targhee definitely worth a day or two. One of the most enjoyable days skiing of my life. Relatively deserted, great snow when I went and not that tracked out. And for intermediates an ideal intro. to off-piste.

I'll pm you a straight steal from Bob Peter's . . . with all the usual caveats about at your own risk etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers nickski
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
get this book!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1575401126/sr=8-1/qid=1154447313/ref=sr_1_1/102-9878545-6356160?ie=UTF8&tag=amz07b-21

I had it and never did the same run twice for 10 days!

and do a days dog sledding!

Some of my pics from years ago when skis were long and thin Wink

http://www.gregh.co.uk/html/jackson.htm

Have fun!

Regards,

Greg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
frostie1861, The snow and slopes at JH are usually outstanding - it certainly ranks amongst the top North American resorts IMHO.

If you fancy a break from skiing/boarding, note that Jackson Hole isn't far from the South Entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Yellowstone in Winter is really a magical experience, with the contrast betweeen the snow/ice and geothermal areas, and great wildlife like elk, buffalo, coyotes, even wolves (though I didn't see any of the latter!). The road into the Park from the South Entrance is closed to cars in winter, you can either rent a Snowmobile from there for an organised day trip into the Park, or you can even stay in accomodation at Old Faithful (in which case you and your luggage get transported into the Park in caterpillar tracked vehicles). For more information see here and here
ski holidays
gregh and alistair - thanks for the advice guys. i'll be looking in to getting that book and a snowmobile day in yellowstone sounds pretty cool!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy