Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Mottaret transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Appreciate some advice from any 3V veterans...

I'll be in Meribel Mottaret in Jan, coming in from Paris, and leaving on Sat 11/1 for Geneva

1. Is my best bet inbound to do TGV to Moutiers, then some sort of cab ?uber ?minibus service from Moutiers to MM ? If so, any recommendations for the road leg ?

2. Looking at the Saturday trip from MM -> Geneva
- unless I've mis-read Maps, it appears public transport would require at least 2 non-fast trains
- is the best bet here a dedicated road transfer service ? If so, any recommendations please ? we won't be carrying skis, just general luggage

3. Is the Saturday AM departure particularly prone to long road delays due to tourist changeover ? what sort of realistic timeframe should I put on this ? I'm hoping to do a short tour in Geneva that afternoon, but don't want to book it in if the transfer out of 3V is likely to be a disaster...

Thanks !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last Jan I went to Les Menuires (next to Meribel) via Geneva. I took Altibus bus from Geneva airport to Moutiers and then Altibus from Moutiers to Les Menuires (there will be an option from Meribel) - and then the opposite on the way back...

The one thing I would recommend is booking ASAP as they get booked up and.... pay the few euros extra for flexibility if you miss a connection for any reason
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For 1, I did the early morning train from Paris to Moutiers last year, and it joined up well with an Altibus (https://www.altibus.com/en/) up the hill.

2. The train is a bit slow, yes. If there's just a couple of you Ben's Bus or Altibus again might work. There are a few companies that do shared minibus transfers, but I don't recall any names offhand.

3. That's a pretty quiet week, so I don't think it will be too bad.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget trying to get the train back from Moutiers to Geneva. Swiss and French rail don't seem to interact on what should be a route created for the winter from Geneva airpot to Moutiers, Aime & Bourg St M.
Depending on how many of you there are, a private or a shared minibus transfer from Mottaret is probably the esiest option, those using a bus down to Moutiers and then one of the busses to Geneva airport will be a slightly cheaper option.

You may get caught in traffic, but the worst jams tend to be further up the Tarantaise valley, so the aime side of Moutiers rather than the Albertville side. It can also be slow around Lake Annecy, but the views make up for that!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JDL65 wrote:
Forget trying to get the train back from Moutiers to Geneva. Swiss and French rail don't seem to interact on what should be a route created for the winter from Geneva airpot to Moutiers, Aime & Bourg St M.
Depending on how many of you there are, a private or a shared minibus transfer from Mottaret is probably the esiest option, those using a bus down to Moutiers and then one of the busses to Geneva airport will be a slightly cheaper option.

You may get caught in traffic, but the worst jams tend to be further up the Tarantaise valley, so the aime side of Moutiers rather than the Albertville side. It can also be slow around Lake Annecy, but the views make up for that!

Yes I have been discovering this trying to even find a sensible rail route…

Any recommendations for the transfer services ? 2 adults, 2 tweens
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ben'sBus are really good and reasonably priced
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@grrr, as others have said, Altibus from moutiers to MM on the first Saturday maybe the cheapest way to go, i have used these a couple of times to both meribel and les menuires. though by the time you have paid for 4 bus tickets a taxi maybe not much more money, and no doubt a lot easier as they will drop at your accommodation, am sure you may be able to get a quote via the tourist office website.

on the return journey, you could look at the following, www.coolrunnings.eu, they are based in val thorens and do both shared minibus and private transfers, they have been recommended on here before, and friends i was with this easter in VT used them and were very happy.

i just did a trial quote for your dates and passengers and a private minibus to Geneva from MM, came to 360 euros in total

i have also used ben'sbus before and they were good as well, but you may need to change at moutiers for a connecting bus to Geneva
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all

For MM to Geneva, looks like the options are:

coolrunings.eu 360eur (private transfer); every other company seems at least 100eur more expensive

altibus 251eur
bensbus 228eur

Anyone have any other private transfer recommendations ? There would be door to door convenience with the private transfer, but not sure if it's worth that much of a premium...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
grrr wrote:
Thanks all
Anyone have any other private transfer recommendations ? There would be door to door convenience with the private transfer, but not sure if it's worth that much of a premium...

Snowcompare.com
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've used https://www.lepraztransfers.com/ - they do shared as well as private transfers (or at least they used to).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we used https://www.aet.ski/ last year and have booked again this year
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about TGV to lyon, hire a car, drive to mottaret, leave car back at GVA when you go home?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
grrr wrote:
Thanks all

For MM to Geneva, looks like the options are:

coolrunings.eu 360eur (private transfer); every other company seems at least 100eur more expensive

altibus 251eur
bensbus 228eur

Strangely:-https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170664
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well turns out coolrunnings is already fully booked for the period.

Does anyone know if there is a local shuttle around Mottaret stops ? The tourism website talks about a Meribus, but doesn’t have any timetable or stop info as it’s not snow season yet…

I’ve booked Ben’s Bus, but the hotel is about 600m from the stop… wondering about the feasibility of walking down 4 suitcases in the dark and snow/ice at 7am !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Meribus services start at about 07:00-07:30. But that is probably from Meribel, so it will be 7:30+ when it gets to Mottaret.

Where are you staying? If in Laitelet then the Chalets lift might start earlier and get you down to Mottaret centre.
snow report
@grrr, Do these help?
Stops
https://www.meribel.net/en/practical-information/navette-meribus/

Map
https://www.meribel.net/media/pdf/Plan_station_hiver.pdf

Bus times season 23/24
https://www.mairiedesallues.fr/actualites/meribus-hiver-2023-2024/
snow report
@grrr, here is last years resort bus timetable..

https://c510fbeb-8826-49a3-ac11-3c507d9a499b.usrfiles.com/ugd/c510fb_2cbb8f9f041349e0a4149a0e4481c0da.pdf

What hotel are you in ? The bus doesnt go up to chatelet any longer except during high season weeks. If you are in Mottaret centre you should be okay
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy