Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time Skiing, Late December recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Me and my wife both work in schools, so i would like to take her on a nice suprise skiing holiday for a week, towards the end December.

We have never been skiing before, so zero experience.
Please could you recommend somewhere peaceful, nice and will be best suited for us.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Lovely idea but nowhere will be peaceful at the end of December - both the Christmas and New Year weeks (especially the latter) will be very busy, and expensive. The peak week of the year, really. Given that you're stuck with school holidays, could you consider Easter?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mistikempire, Firstly be aware that this will not be the cheapest holiday you will ever have. Clearly Christmas & New Year are popular times (New Year more so) so lots of other folk will go at the same time but also this is still early season so conditions are not completely reliable. So you want somewhere fairly high but also with fairly easy terrain to start off with. Everyone will give you different favourite places but a few that might work. La Plagne / Les Arc in France very popular with brits, typical high altitude purpose built resort so not picture postcard (though long time since I have been so might be different now) and some accommodation can be on the small side, pretty snow sure. Obergurgl in Austria, high (highest village in Austria) so snow sure with very beginner friendly terrain, small with practically all accommodation in hotels (Austrian half board works well), downside is that it can be cold and stormy in mid winter (pretty much all above the tree line). Dolomites in Südtirol / northern Italy (lots of linked resorts perhaps look up Arraba, Alta Badia or Selva plus plenty more) stunning scenery, abundant skiing, well known for food & alpine charm, downside is that the climate tends to cold & dry but they have the world's best snow making so no problem with being able to ski (especially for beginners as you dont need the steeper terrain to be open).

The first place I went to ski was in Austria, near Salzburg a small town St Johann im Pongau, the local skiing there has closed now but the area has prospered, its called Ski Amade and it would not be a bad choice at all, perhaps look at Flachau or Zauchensee also means easy to do day trips to Salzburg if you hate skiing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mistikempire, do you have a preference on which country (assuming somewhere in Europe)?

As @Origen said, everywhere will be busy during the school holidays (particularly at Christmas and February half term), but some places are of course less busy than the major French resorts (for example) and will be less busy at Easter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@vjmehra
@munich_irish

Thank you both for your replies, i wouldn't mind going in Easter, but i thought i would so it in December as her birthday is in January.

İtaly i think so far from what people have said, suits better?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The other option of course is to look north, the snow is surer and its less crowded (but of course it will be cold)!

Norway, Sweden and Finland all have options. If you just want a sampler you can even do just a day (or two) on small slopes near Oslo and Stockholm or head to a resort such as Are (Sweden) or Trysil, (Norway) or one of the Finnish resorts such as Levi (not sure if that gets crowded or not, but Trysil and Are are typically less crowded than Alpine resorts).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Have a look at the big "package tour operators"to get an idea of what's out there. Be very careful about location. Ideally you need a place near where you'll have your lessons. "Distance to nearest lift might not be relevant to you". In some resorts you'll have a choice of ski schools. It's quite a complicated holiday so an "all in"package might make things et.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowhead’s …. would some Italian villages/pistes be less rammed than Austria and France at that time? Offering opportunities.

My experience, all good because I love the whole thing, is that French resorts are packed with Brits/French at Xmas/NY, Austria with Germans/Austrians/Czechs/Slovaks/Poles. I suspect the Sella Ronda would be the same.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mistikempire, I used Sunweb a few years back to Val Thorens in France. Was good value. It’s a high resort so as snow sure as you can get and wasn’t that busy. If you’ve never been before you would be ok with the local area ski pass. Book your own flights and transfers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would consider Gressoney or Courmayeur in the Aosta valley. Relatively short transfer from either Geneva or Turin. Spectacular scenery, good food, contained piste skiing and reasonably priced.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make sure there are beginner adult ski lessons available before you book. You will need lessons!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mistikempire, I started as a non-skier who a friend persuaded to go at Christmas.

My top tips...
1. Go xmas rather than NY. It's cheaper and less busy.
2. Go high. Snow can be great or bad anywhere at that time of year but high, stacks the odds in your favour.
3. Get lessons either at a snowdome or dry slope before you go. It's a shortcut that pays off when you get there.
4. Get more lessons when you're there, no matter how well you did in 3 above.

Beware though its a slippery slope. You'll find yourself doing 5 weeks a year and living the rest of the year on beans on toast before you know it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would suggest going to a high-altitude resort with good lessons and snowmaking. Also have indoor lessons in the UK before you go so that you can get more from the experience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MAthert wrote:
have indoor lessons in the UK before you go

That might give the surprise away Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The indoor lessons are actually a very good tip. It’s a lot of money to spend just getting going on the first few days, learning to put skis on, basic techniques etc. get that out of the way on an indoor slope is good advice.
snow conditions
Wow this is amazing

Thank you everyone for the valuable feedback and helpful response, really helpful.

Thank you all!
snow report
@mistikempire, Nothing wrong with going in December. Christmas week can be magical (though more risk of little snow) and be aware its not the big thing it is in the UK, Christmas Eve tends to be the "main event" and post early evening carols can be quiet. Christmas Day much more of a standard public holiday. New Year is a big party with accompanying crowds, maybe not an ideal time to learn to ski but its a fun time in the mountains. Not sure I would be quite so keen on Easter, especially when it is late as next season, snow conditions are often poor though generally good for lounging around in the afternoon sun (though rain is a hazard too!).

Agree that getting some sort of experience before going is very helpful, though can also see losing the surprise element. Dont underestimate the physical effort involved. If you both do regular exercise then you will be fine but it is a big change doing physical activity for 4 to 5 hours a day often at altitude in a dry environment.
ski holidays
@mistikempire, I like to ski in France, I love to ski in the Dolimites.
Switzerland is fantastic ... but I think everyones first ski holiday should be in Austria.

You have to have lessons, and that is half the fun.
You will be in a group of first timers and you'll meet new friends.

Do teachers still work from home?
Or will you be missed if you take the week before Christmas... Saturday 14th December.

But lets imagine you have a huge budget Toofy Grin
I would still head for a less popular village, the small villages with just a couple of Bars would be ideal.

If you really want to be absalutely snow sure you should go high.
But I think I'd take a chance on a low resort.
Someone has already said St Johan in Pongau ... that is a good shout.
The villages around there would be good, Wagrain, Flachau etc.

If you are beginners you dont need a huge system you will will spend most of your time on the Nursery slope, and if you get up the mountains that will be a bonus.

There are so many little villages that suite the bill, but I'll leave it to others to suggest them.
One of the best apres ski night I can remember was in a one bar village called Damuls.
But you won't find a tour operator going there.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
Snowhead’s …. would some Italian villages/pistes be less rammed than Austria and France at that time? Offering opportunities.

My experience, all good because I love the whole thing, is that French resorts are packed with Brits/French at Xmas/NY, Austria with Germans/Austrians/Czechs/Slovaks/Poles. I suspect the Sella Ronda would be the same.

New Year is usually super busy in Italy like everywhere else, so no advantage there. Xmas, esp any weekdays before the 25th will likely be better.

But maybe it's a moot point anyway if the OP will be doing lessons on the nursery slope??
snow report
@mistikempire,
You have two options.

1) complete surprise, never ski’d before with potential of hating it or endless panic on “real snow” and potential arguments.

2) lessons in the uk, gives the game up with respect to a surprise but will increase the enjoyment factor 10x
ski holidays
mistikempire wrote:
Hi all
Me and my wife both work in schools, so i would like to take her on a nice suprise skiing holiday for a week, towards the end December.

We have never been skiing before, so zero experience.
Please could you recommend somewhere peaceful, nice and will be best suited for us.

Does she like surprises? Ones that involve a fair bit of physical effort and possibly getting cold at the coldest time of the year? Has she expressed interest in skiing/winter holidays before?

You will need proper lessons (private or Ski School) even if you do a lesson at a snowdome in the UK, so it's important to make sure these are available where you're going before you book. It takes a week (or two) at ski school for adults to become proficient at skiing parallel turns down a blue run, it's not an instant process.

Ideally you want to be staying as close as possible to where the ski school meeting place/nursery slopes are. Walking uphill in ski boots and catching buses across a resort is something that might be off-putting.

You can learn to ski practically anywhere that has a nursery slope and there are 1000's of resorts in umpteen countries in Europe alone, so it's more about where you like the look of and what you think your wife might fancy if it's to be a pleasant surprise! wink

I agree Austria has a lot of charm for a first ski holiday and a good setup for the practicalities too, so you might want to concentrate your search there. Cool

As it's a busy time of year and not far off now, you might be better seeing what's actually available and you like the look of. Then come back to us here and we can let you know of any pluses or minuses. snowHead
latest report
Yes. Have a look at options for the week you want ( I would choose Christmas over New Year as slightly less crowded and expensive) then come back for feedback. There are a couple of suggestions in this thread (courmayeur and arabba that I wouldn't rate as ideal for beginners). Depending on your actual school term dates you might be able to do early April and plenty of resorts would still be ok then.

It's a good question whether your wife likes surprises. I wouldn't have wanted to have one sprung on me because I'd have wanted to have an input into the planning!
ski holidays
@drlawn
Thanks so much for the advice, DrLawn! It's really helpful to get some insights from experienced skiers like yourself. I hadn’t considered Austria before, but it sounds like the perfect place for a first ski holiday, especially with the focus on lessons and meeting new people in the beginner groups.

I’m definitely leaning towards a smaller, less crowded village to avoid the chaos, and your suggestion of St Johann in Pongau and the surrounding villages sounds ideal. The idea of a lower resort with a chance of good snow sounds like a fun gamble too!

We do try to stay active, but I’ll keep your point in mind about the physical challenge, especially at altitude. Hopefully, we’ll be able to manage it.

As for the timing, we’re still debating between Christmas and New Year, but it’s good to know how things differ from the UK. I’ll start looking into smaller resorts now, and maybe we’ll find somewhere that fits just right.
snow report
So i took a look online, example Dolimites, and found myself so confused at the results.

So many places in Dolomites popped up, in which i have zero knowledge on which area would be good, bad, etc.

That goes for Austria too, like what areas should i be focusing on?
snow report
@mistikempire, are you intending to go with a tour operator or make your own travel arrangements? These days with internet bookings it's easy to DIY, but as first timers there's a lot to be said for going with a tour operator, especially if they have a rep in resort to help with things like boot and ski hire and arranging lessons.

As regards your questions about places in the Dolomites or Austria here's a few suggestions. In the Dolomites the Alta Badia region (Corvara, Colfosco, San Cassiano) has a huge number of blue (easiest) ski runs. Alternatively the nice smaller ski areas of Alleghe (Alleghe itself is situated by a scenic lake) or San Pelegrino/Falcade are only about 2 hours transfer time from Venice airport (if you DIY then you can have a day in Venice at the start or end of your ski trip if that appeals).

In Austria I learned to ski in Alpbach, a beautiful village (voted the prettiest in Austria by the Austrians themselves). Other good places for beginners would be Westendorf or one of the places in the Zillertal valley (of which Mayrhofen is the most well known).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy