Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A few questions about Hokkaido?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I have finally put together a trip to Hokkaido with my friend after talking about it for many years. We’re not getting any younger so we decided to do it while our joints still work! One skier and one boarder, both fairly advanced. Keen to do mostly lift accessed off piste and maybe 1-2 days guided back country. We are trying to keep our options open and will rent a car for 10 nights and 9 full days skiing in early February.

We plan to stay in SE Hokkaido for 5 days and then Central Hokkaido for 4 days and we will pick resorts by where has the best fresh snow. I am not massively keen on Niseko due to crowding (so I hear) but would maybe head there for a day.

In the SE (5 days) we plan to do:
- Sapporo Teine
- Kiroro
- Rusustsu
Maybe a day at niseko or Kokusai.

In Central (4 days) we plan to do:
- Furano
- Tomamu
- Asahidake (guided)
- Kamui

We won’t necessarily achieve all the above. If conditions are fantastic in one particular central resort we may spend more time there for example.. we are quite open.

I have a few questions if a well seasoned Hokkaido skier could answer?
1) Would it be better to base ourselves in Otaru or Sapporo (or do both) in the SE?
2) Are we missing some gem in the SE or does that list look good?
3) We are thinking to base ourselves at Furano for central but is Asahikawa (or somewhere else) a better base?
4) Any gems missed centrally?
5) Does the above make sense or are there any words of wisdom that might make us change the plan?

Thanks in advance for any help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied every place you mention and I still love Niseko the best. So I'd def not miss that. In my fifteen years going it has got busier - no doubt - but you can still get fresh lines all day long. It's just knowing where to look... And the key IMHO, is starting the day in Hanazono. Def suggest stay Asahikawa for Asahikade/Kamui - OMO hotel excellent and great price, loved it last year. Teine is an absolute banger too if you can hit it with good snow. Kokusai I really enjoy too, but the patrol are fierce, so be careful with cutting ropes...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wiigman wrote:
I've skied every place you mention and I still love Niseko the best. So I'd def not miss that. In my fifteen years going it has got busier - no doubt - but you can still get fresh lines all day long. It's just knowing where to look... And the key IMHO, is starting the day in Hanazono. Def suggest stay Asahikawa for Asahikade/Kamui - OMO hotel excellent and great price, loved it last year. Teine is an absolute banger too if you can hit it with good snow. Kokusai I really enjoy too, but the patrol are fierce, so be careful with cutting ropes...

Thanks for the quick reply! I already have 3 nights booked in Sapporo.. would you recommend doing 2 nights near Niseko/Rusutsu as well to complete the 5 days?

Would you recommend Asahikawa over Furano for the second stay? I am a bit worried about dotting around too much because having one location allows us to go where we want depending on weather but if we had say 2 days in Furano we would want to probably do Furano and Tomamu those days and then for Asahikawa do asahidake/kamui.. if we just stayed at one or the other we could pick where to go depending on weather.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like Otaru but Sapporo works just as well

If you're doing just the one day and finding your own way around then Sapporo Kokusai is much more snowboarder friendly than Kiroro

If you do stay in Otaru, don't discount day to night skiing at Otaru Tenguyama with spectacular views of the ocean and Otaru at night

Also Asari has a great pitch and is normally deserted

As wiigman recommends, Asahikawa for your Central base

Pippu is a real gem

And make sure you have good intel / pick the right day to go to Asahidake. It's a long drive to find out the only lift (tram) is closed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow wrote:

If you're doing just the one day and finding your own way around then Sapporo Kokusai is much more snowboarder friendly than Kiroro

If you do stay in Otaru, don't discount day to night skiing at Otaru Tenguyama with spectacular views of the ocean and Otaru at night

Pippu is a real gem

And make sure you have good intel / pick the right day to go to Asahidake. It's a long drive to find out the only lift (tram) is closed.

Thanks for the information Mike. Kokusai sounds like a better idea then. I’m not a fan of flats. We are really looking for decent lift served off piste. We may do a day or 2 of proper backcountry but with 9 days I don’t want to be completely destroyed!

Can I ask what makes Asahikawa a better location for central than Furano? I looked in a few other forums and Furano seemed to generally be the winner.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Otaru so would stay there. And I liked Teine and Kokusai better than Kiroro.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nclboarder, sent you a PM.

Asahikawa vv Furano:
IMHO A has better accommodation/cheaper, better atmosphere, better eating out (Sushi train) etc.
We paid something like £50pppn for OMO 7 hotel (last winter) including excellent brekkie.
Love the way you can choose between Kamui (30 min drive), Pippu (30 min), Asahidake (55 min) and Furano (70 min).
Kamui is a belter on a board...

Stayed in Sapp last time to do Teine and Kokusai and loved it/them. Again, perfect on a board re lack of flats.
https://www.fall-line.co.uk/sapporo-teine-japan-ski-resort/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nclboarder wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Pippu is a real gem

Thanks for the information Mike. Kokusai sounds like a better idea then. I’m not a fan of flats. We are really looking for decent lift served off piste. We may do a day or 2 of proper backcountry but with 9 days I don’t want to be completely destroyed!

Can I ask what makes Asahikawa a better location for central than Furano? I looked in a few other forums and Furano seemed to generally be the winner.

What wiigman said

Depends if you want to walk / take a short drive to the slopes or experience a real Japanese city with all that has to offer
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy