Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pick an Austrian resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hello and apologies in advance for what is possibly very lazy of me….. I find it really hard to make a decision about resorts so hopefully some of you can help me cut to the chase….. I fancy Austria this year - an easy going resort for me and my family of 4. Two boys 17 good /reckless skiers who want variety/fun in a resort they can get around on their own - oldest has some special needs. Me - 2nd time after a big injury a few years ago so still nervous & want wide, cruisey blues/reds & scenery & poor old hubby who is decent skier but ends up lumbered with me or policing the kids. We want as budget friendly as we can get, flexible with dates though probably March, ideally cute with a few facilities /bars etc but not especially bothered about apres-ski. We used to live in Munich and have been to Schiki places like Kitzbuhel (when his boss was paying and which is not really our thing these days) as well as some small resorts, but we only really went for the day/weekend so not sure they’d be suitable for a week and tbh they’ve all merged into one in my mind…… Oh and easy transfer to Salzburg if poss. Thank you for any and all suggestions. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amade - Salzburgerland, kids get free lift passes from mid March when an adult buys a week pass. Loads of places to pick from. hth Ange snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax wrote:
Ski Amade - Salzburgerland, kids up to 15 get free lift passes from mid March when an adult buys a week pass. Loads of places to pick from. hth Ange snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@flangesax, but would you know a good place to stay? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Goslowski, If you want to fly into Salzburg then obvious spots are either (as above) Ski Amade or Saalbach. I know there will be objections from the usual quarters to this view but if you leave it later in March then a large part of the Saalbach area can be affected by sun (a lot of the easier skiing is low and south facing), in other ways though it is good some harder stuff especially over towards Fieberbrunn and easier stuff for you. If budget less of an issue then either Ischgl or Arlberg (you might prefer Lech your boys St Anton) but a long way from Salzburg (Zürich probably easier than Munich)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its all great till you mention the word Budget Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, Not sure any of the larger Austrian areas now fall into the "budget" category. Last season I paid more for a day ticket in SkiWelt than I would have done in St Anton! Costs have gone up significantly in the past few years. The cheaper Austrian & Bavarian spots tend to be marginal for snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The key here is pistes to build your confidence. St Anton and Ischgl definitely entail tricky packed blues and reds. I was with two less confident skiers in St Anton who hated the slopes.

By contrast, they loved Zurs or Rohrmoos Untertal (a hamlet above Schladming). Ski to door, wide gentle blues. Schladming itself has the steeper Planai, churned up home runs by lunchtime. For the adventurous teens there’s loads for them too.

I haven’t skied the other Amade resorts, the experts on that will advise.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obertauer may suit well. Easy enough area to navigate (everything leads down to the village) so your sons can do their own thing.
There is a good variety of pistes from the easy to a couple of blacks (but nothing with NFZ), a bit of good off-piste is available too. Ski schools are always good too if you are using them. The lift pass used to permit a day's skiing in the neighboring area of Spieleck (free bus between the two areas).
So a great little area, more than enough for a week, 17-year-olds can be cut loose to do their own thing in relative safety, OH can find so good and varied runs and terrain. There are a good number of confidence-building runs to help you get back into your groove. There is no massif vertical so you always feel secure that you can reach the security of the village easily at any time. The circuit design means that it is easy for everyone to meet for lunch. or Apres.
Apres is good without being ridiculously rowdy, locations on mountain or in and around the village.
Its easily reachable from SZG, we normally book a taxi or drive journey time is just over an hour. lots of accommodation options, depends what you are looking for.
Obertauern is one of the most snow sure resorts that I've come across in 40 years.
And my daughter and I are going back again this season, I can'y wait.

Superb area
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Amade and look at Zauchensee/Altenmarkt. Zauch is well-linked and just that bit higher. Plenty of skiing opportunities that should suit the family requirements and enable a decent degree of being able to ski together.

Saalbach Hinterglemm as has been suggested already.

Rohrmoos is also a good shout with Planai, Hauser Kaibling and Hochwurzen providing some decent altitude if things get a bit warm (or wet) lower down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another shout for Ski Amade, we're off to Flachau in January
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be in Flachau next January as well, but this year I've been there mid March for a day from Obertauern and the local slopes were terribly mushy and slushy, only boarders were enjoying it.
Obertauern, OTH, was still white and wintery.
Nice local apres ski options for the afternoons.
Budget friendly it's not, unfortunately.
But you can buy the Super Skipass and ski both domains if the weather wil require it, it's a short and easy drive in the valley.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love Zauchensee.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@flangesax, but would you know a good place to stay? wink

He might do. wink

In all seriousness, @flangesax's place in Radstadt is a great place to stay and I'd highly recommend it. It just so happens I'll be staying there over Xmas! Very Happy
snow conditions
1. Schladming
2. Bad Gastein
3. Val Gardena
snow report
Of the Schladming "group", I agree Rohrmoos is a good shout for cruisy blues. However, of the four mountains there my favourite is Reiteralm. I love taking the old 2-seater lift up from Talstation Pichl. It's such a relaxing way to start the day, and parking is always better than at the main Talstation Gleiming. The Crosspark is a bit of fun for your teenagers. There's also a permanent parallelslalom track and a speedcheck run. Maybe it's just my perception, but I also find the pistes a little less choppy in the afternoon than at Planai or Hauser Kaibling. Accommodation is likely a short drive away in either Schladming or Radstadt perhaps.
snow report
Thank you all!
Btw when I used the word ‘budget’ I obviously used it in the ‘First World Problems’ sense of the word…..
I had always dismissed Austria as too expensive now - but last year I booked really cheap flights to Geneva thinking we’d get a cheap ski in France…… Even our 2 bags cost more to take to Geneva than all four of our plane tickets! I realise there is no such thing as a cheap ski trip when you’re also paying for 2 entitled teenagers on top Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy