Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Call to ban altitude tents

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Governing bodies of skiing and rowing have urged the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to ban the use of altitude tents. The tents, which mimic the low-oxygen conditions of high altitude, stimulate the body to make more red blood cells. This increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried round the body, and so increases endurance. ...The Secretary General of Federation Ski Internationale (FIS), Sarah Lewis, was quoted as saying that a ban of the tents would level the playing field between countries who can afford such equipment and those who cannot. The tents, which are also known as hypoxic tents, cost about $5,000, while a room can be converted into one for $25,000. WADA will make a decision on the matter in September.

www.bloomberg.com.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I could be cynical (surely not Little Angel ) but a ban, if it could be enforced, would benefit the Alpine nations (since they have high altitude facilities) compared to those who have not. So the Alpine nations (and North America, which has high resorts) would have a vested interest in promoting the ban.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would also benefeit those who could afford to send their athletes to high altitude facilities....

$5000 for a tent is probably much cheaper than trying to send someone to live in another country for a month or two...

What is next - force everyone to train at sea level?

How about we remove top level coaches and sports med docs and physios, dietitians, psychologists etc because some places cannot afford them either?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This doesn't really affect alpine, more nordic, but it seems that the best way to really "level the playing field" would be to make these tents more affordable for low-altitude nations that don't have high-altitude facilities. Just banning the tents wouldn't level the playing field at all - it would hand the advantage to nations who have high mountains, as Nick Zotov rightly says. Sarah Lewis has got this one wrong, which is surprising, coming as she does from a low-altitude country herself...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Bell, have I not heard a variety of interesting comments elsewhere about Ms Lewis? Twisted Evil

As you say, it makes little difference (as, to re-open a well opened can of worms the "drug" that Alan Baxter "took"). There was reference to some highly interesting research on the an/aerobicness of competitive alpine skiing and training techniques recently which IIRC suggests that alpine events are relatively anaerobic??

All seems a complete load of dangly bits. You CAN'T ban things. It doesn't happen or work. Those who are determined get round the ban. All it means is that countries/individuals with fewer resources are even more discriminated against. I mean, how could one test for an altitude tent?? You can build one at home. I mean for freaks sake you can build atomic bombs at home. In principle anyway.

Why is our money being used to debate such complete crap?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
exactly...

the Australian Institute of Sport already provides scholarships to allow talented athletes from less affluent nations to receive some of the advantages I listed above (IIRC - I think it is even on their website)

If the IOC really wanted to level the playing field they could impose a "levy" per competitor to the more affluent to assist the less well off...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did I say "dangley bits"? sorry...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
Martin Bell, have I not heard a variety of interesting comments elsewhere about Ms Lewis? Twisted Evil

Well, I was merely mentioning that I had heard accusations from people in British ski-racing that she was less supportive than she might have been of Alain Baxter, during his CAS cases.

In this case, I think FIS's intentions are probably very good - if the equipment required to be competitive becomes more and more expensive, you no longer have a level playing field.

Yes, high countries have a natural advantage at aerobic sports - but that's just life. Life is not fair. Cold countries have an advantage at winter sports. Warm countries have a natural advantage at warm weather sports. Countries with a coastline have an advantage at nautical sports.

And a low, damp, mild country like Britain has an advantage at, er, rowing - once the world sea level starts rising, it'll be the only way to get around London Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Bell, luckily I have a first floor flat. I must install a landing stage wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a blood disorder where my body makes too many red blood cells (have to visit Hospital every two months to keep things under control) can't say i have ever noticed any perfomance improvments as my blood count increases. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevinrhead, if you ever become an elite athlete, you will certainly throw a spanner in the dope-testing works! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell, I think I read some time ago about a "clan" of Finnish x-country skiers who had a shared genetic mutation that increased "something" that significantly increased their aerobic capacity. I knwo genetics plays a part in all these things, but someone had identified a particular "difference" unique to this group.

kevinrhead, have you tried measuring your aerobic capacity over a set of 2 month periods? Probably wouldn't notice any difference skiing...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy