Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe du Grand Serre Station not opening this winter!

Poster: A snowHead
l'Alpe du Grand Serre n'ouvrira pas cet hiver
la décision a été prise ce vendredi 4 octobre

This is a little resort really close to Grenoble, quite stunning news and very worrying

This is the shocking news of this Friday evening, October 5. At the end of a vote that we knew was crucial, the Communauté de commune de la Matheysine approved by 48 votes to 12 the closure of the Alpe du Grand Serre ski resort.

More here

https://www.skipass.com/news/l-alpe-du-grand-serre-fermeture-38.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, very sad news.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Discussed in the climate change thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167708&start=280#5340110
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, might have been touched upon but certainly not confirmed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"locals not optimistic, think it is better to get out of alpine skiing"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And a bit more info on the ags situation from last winter https://pistehors.com/R3wemY0B1g7SdbHcMOnu/french-ski-resorts-on-the-brink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anecdotal, but I was in Sixt in early September. The chalet owner, when I asked how the '24 ski season had gone (I meant regarding chalet rentals), replied that it had been decided by the council (commune?) that if there was not good snow, and by association good visitor numbers in 2025, then the lifts would be closed and dismantled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliegolf, does Sixt have any lifts to close?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Yeah, they really do! Ancient 2 seaters and drags; and at least 2 ticket booths. It lived off the long blue "Cascades" run from the very top of Flaine. But that is nearly always closed all season long these days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is from a FB group

Eh oh! Communiqué Eh oh!

Eh oh! Les élus de la CCMatheysine viennent d'annoncer la fermeture définitive de la station de l'Alpe du Grand Serre sans aucun plan d'accompagnement.

Cette décision est incompréhensible d'un point de vue stratégique et révèle un terrible manque de vision, de compétence et de confiance pour mener à bien le projet de réhabilitation du domaine et en faire un projet pilote de transition.

Pire que tout il révèle un manque cruel d'humanité pour les 200 familles qui vivent de cette économie touristique, pour les habitants et agriculteurs de la vallée de la Roizonne et pour tous ceux qui cherchaient une montagne accessible pour y vivre ou s'y ressourcer. Ni l'accompagnement social, ni le coût du démantellement et de la perte des retombées touristiques n'ont été chiffrés et ne sont prévus.

Nous avons une pensée émue et solidaire pour toutes les personnes affectées et remercions les quelques élus qui nous soutiennent.

Nous continuons la mobilisation car nous sommes condamnés à réussir notre transition. Mais le prix social est terrible.

Eh oh! Nous lançons un SOS pour que d'autres solutions puissent être trouvées car l'urgence est là pour toute l'économie et la vie en moyenne montagne.

Collectif citoyen La Morte Vivante ESF Alpe Du Grand Serre FRTV Bike Park Alpe du Grand Serre A L'Alpe du Grand Serre, On Coopère Gouvernement Jeunes Agriculteurs Matheysine Région Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Isère

Eh oh! Press release Eh oh!

Eh oh! The elected representatives of the CCMatheysine have just announced the definitive closure of the Alpe du Grand Serre resort without any support plan.

This decision is incomprehensible from a strategic point of view and reveals a terrible lack of vision, competence and confidence to carry out the rehabilitation project of the area and make it a pilot transition project.

Worse than anything, it reveals a cruel lack of humanity for the 200 families who live off this tourist economy, for the inhabitants and farmers of the Roizonne valley and for all those who were looking for an accessible mountain to live or recharge their batteries. Neither the social support nor the cost of dismantling and the loss of tourist benefits have been quantified and are not planned.

Our thoughts and solidarity go out to all those affected and we thank the few elected representatives who support us.

We continue the mobilization because we are condemned to succeed in our transition. But the social price is terrible.

Eh oh! We are launching an SOS so that other solutions can be found because the emergency is there for the entire economy and life in the mid-mountains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alpinebear, good find / post !

This from a mate when I posted in a WhatsApp group about it....

"Shame, we’ve got great memories of skiing there. Brilliant tiny place. One of our contacts was buying a place in the resort a few years back."
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That is a shame. I visited Alpe du Grand Serre in January 2022 and really liked it.

But there was so little snowmaking and surrounded by better-known resorts with more comfortable lifts - I can see how it would be vulnerable.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 7-10-24 9:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's sad, but if it becomes unprofitable what exactly is the alternative option?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the face of it I would have thought this type of resort would be fairly resilient to rises in electricity prices and inflation?

Its lifts looks to be predominantly Poma tows which are frugal to run (22kw to 90kw- less than the average car!) and only require one operator. Their cost of maintenance will be low and they will have paid for themselves long ago so won’t be carrying any debt there. Also they don’t make a lot of snow so shouldnt have big bills there either? Their Ticket prices must be competitive so I assume their closure comes largely down to lack of snow, lack of ticket sales and perhaps a shrinking skier market?

From a skiing perspective we are losing some of the most interesting ski runs which tend to be at the bottom of the mountains rather than the tops. I wonder to what extent a future hybrid volunteer/ professional management arrangement aiming at memberships ( like a Uk golf or ski club) might be able to run some of the simpler lifts eg on weekends when there is snow ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter S, I see your point and it works, or did anyway, something like that in NZ with club fields.
Regarding the lifts, Alpe du Grand Serre is a split ski area and you can only access the upper area by chairlift, I think that has been replaced / refurbished by Sata, possibly by brining some of the equipment from the closed St. Honore area over the hill, I am not sure, @davidof, will know.
I have not been there since before Covid but it was a good place to have a trip to when wind closed too many lifts in Alpe d'Huez. It varied between being free access with an ADH pass and getting a discount.
Went there once with a snowboarder in our group who decided to follow a couple of people on an off piste route from the higher level rolling eyes . It did look a lovely route that disappeared into the trees Madeye-Smiley . He split with us about 11-00 and he arrived back at 3-00 after losing sight of the others and a long walk back theough the trees Laughing .
snow report
Just to add, when SATA first became involved with running the lifts at Alpe du Grand Serre I seem to remember the theory being that having an easily accessible, cheaper resort as a sister resort to Alpe d'Huez would help to get younger people hooked on the sport and then they would be attracted to "move up" to visiting the bigger place.
snow conditions
Sadly climate change is inevitably going to mean further gentrification of snowsports. The family resorts (closer to centres of population, cheaper lift pass) tend to be lower altitude than their more glamorous high alpine peers.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 6-10-24 12:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@skitow, yes that’s correct. I think they were going to do the same at Ornon but not 100% sure.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, huh. I have skied it once. wouldn't bother again.
snow report
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2024/oct/07/large-french-alpine-ski-resort-to-close-in-face-of-shrinking-snow-season also an area in the southern Alps - Grand Puy is to close too, very similar reasons, ie. the income coming in is not remotely paying the bills and the local council cant keep subsidising the operation.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, This only appeared in my copy of the paper this morning.
snow report
I hate these news stories Sad
snow conditions
Never skied Grande Serre but have cycled up the Col de la Morte from Sechilienne and then looped back over via Ornon to Bourg.

I would imagine some of the resorts in the Vercors and Chartreuse will also follow. I have been cycling in summer and skiing this region in winter for over 20 years. The change is very noticeable.
ski holidays
Looking at the piste map it is a surprisingly big resort. https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/lalpe-du-grand-serre/pistemap
snow report
Always sad to hear these stories but it’s only going to get worse. Perhaps it will transition into a ski touring spot as has happened to Super St Bernard
snow report
Close to the town/village of La Morte? Rather ironic .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy