Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride skis for panorama, BC

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, heading out to Panorama, BC for a season and am looking for some free ride skis. Not planning on doing touring or anything like that, just planning to ski the lift accessed off piste areas e.g. taynton bowl and maybe do some heliskiing at some point. Done some slalom racing for the last 3 years on dry slope and have about 9 weeks on snow but this was in the alps so have no idea what the snow is like out at panorama, BC. Would say i can carve and charge pretty hard on most slopes and terrain, but dont have much experience in powder and deep snow. I’m not really too sure on what the snow is like out there, so wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what width/ ski to look at please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pano doesn't have the best rep for powder. No idea why but specific micro climates around the Rockies and Columbia Valley can be weird. Most (adult male) locals will be on something 100-110ish as a daily driver though. Plus maybe a piste ski for hardpack days and a powder fatty.

You can buy good stuff secondhand as people are always trading in and out of quivers - for instance if you were travelling via Cranbrook (no reason you would specifically) Funhogz Gear Exchange is a solid bet, Fernie definitely has a store selling ex demo and consignment skis so no reason Invermere wouldn't - also maybe local ski swap if you're in town by then.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lp1111, Welcome to snowHead as DoTM says not the best for powder, but they do get some at times. Theres plenty of hardpack as most slopes have snow cannon. you'll really need 2 pairs out there for a seson.

Where are you staying ? Invermere or at Pano ? Also are you working at the Pano, if working you may have access to discounts, or just out for a season? Ideally you should demo some before purchasing. There's a couple of ski shops in Invermere, decent one is Columbia Cycle and Ski - they'll happily point you in the right direction. Invermere is a sleepy back water though Toofy Grin

Enjoy your time out that way, and you should plan to head up to Kicking Horse at least, maybe further if you can Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones wrote:
Lp1111, Welcome to snowHead as DoTM says not the best for powder, but they do get some at times. Theres plenty of hardpack as most slopes have snow cannon. you'll really need 2 pairs out there for a seson.

Where are you staying ? Invermere or at Pano ? Also are you working at the Pano, if working you may have access to discounts, or just out for a season? Ideally you should demo some before purchasing. There's a couple of ski shops in Invermere, decent one is Columbia Cycle and Ski - they'll happily point you in the right direction. Invermere is a sleepy back water though Toofy Grin

Enjoy your time out that way, and you should plan to head up to Kicking Horse at least, maybe further if you can Cool

Thanks both, I definitely overestimated the snow there as was looking at a bent Chetler 120 originally Shocked will probably shift my focus to something smaller like a Fischer ranger 108 then and keep my race skis for days on icy groomers. Working at panorama so might get some discounts and can definitely see myself buying another set when I’m out there. Plan on travelling up along the powder highway to try some different stuff like you said, as i can imagine I might get a bit bored after a while. Have heard its a quiet town, will definitely be a bit of a change from living in a busy UK city Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lp1111, if you can get some used DPS Wailer 112’s they work well both on piste, variable and pow. Get the Pure/Alchemist/Kaizen if you’re a strong skier. The Hybrid / Foundation is softer (and not as durable - no carbon).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd wait until you get there. You don't want to rock up with some shiny new gear you bought at season-start full-retail from some UK high street shop.

BC ski towns have ski shops, and they'll have a bigger and more appropriate range than the UK high street, plus people who ski working in them. You'll make a lot of contacts, some at least of whom won't be paying full retail at those shops. Second hand ski costs in resorts like Whistler at least are.... very low. Your mates will also lend you gear, so you can work out what you like and what you don't at zero cost.

RK is the local heli operator. I'd strongly recommend any first timers to use the provided gear, which is included in the cost and more "dedicated" than you'd likely want for resort snow, which is at least skier pisted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 to wait until you get there

A month in you'll be a different skier (in a good way) and you'll find $ in your pocket will be better than a pair of skis that don't really suit you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, Reallllllly ! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, will probably wait until I’m out there. Am working in a ski shop so can start chatting with some people about it when I’m out there and go from there. Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O wrote:

Errr well yes I wouldn’t have said it otherwise. Which part do you find funny?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lp1111 wrote:
Thanks everyone, will probably wait until I’m out there. Am working in a ski shop so can start chatting with some people about it when I’m out there and go from there. Razz

Oh just take out shop demos everyday then. Problem solved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lp1111, wot DOTM typed duh …
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Lp1111 wrote:

Oh just take out shop demos everyday then. Problem solved.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Sounds like a plan Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
CH2O wrote:

Your utter bias towards a brand rather than the science. Second worst post i've read on here, and the first has happened since you wrote this utter self appreciating nonsense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CH2O wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
CH2O wrote:

Your utter bias towards a brand rather than the science. Second worst post i've read on here, and the first has happened since you wrote this utter self appreciating nonsense.

It’s a recommendation based on my experience. That’s what forums are for. Have you had a bad day?
latest report
I'm with Bob here, a cheapish pair of 112 Wailers would be perfect.........Go take a chill pill!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy