Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2024/25

Poster: A snowHead
Time for the new thread.

The winter season pass starts today, and there's 50cm of snow forecast for the glacier ahead of the weekend snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yay! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heavy snowfall on the Hintertux webcam at the moment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@russ_e, the numbers keep moving but it seems to be sitting around 40-50cm up there ahead of this weekend.

Do I wax and edge a set of piste skis or powder skis? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swskier, A snowboard would be much better Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, save that edge work for cocktail hour after you ski. Otherwise you'll just be doing it twice!
Thx for starting the new thread. I roll in on March 12th can't wait.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
@russ_e, the numbers keep moving but it seems to be sitting around 40-50cm up there ahead of this weekend.

Do I wax and edge a set of piste skis or powder skis? Laughing

Looking at Bergfex powder, 21cm Friday (which will be 10 by then) but more importantly it is cold so whatever does come down will be dry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Hintertux today.
The snow was tip top. We couldn't see it though - flat light at the top, poor visibility (skiing from piste marker to piste marker) from half way down.
Skiing was good to the Tuxer Fernerhaus.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First day for us today.

Snow is infinitely better this Autumn vs last year. Snowing lightly up there, and snow right to the valley.

Visibility is poor today, but hopefully much better tomorrow, although looks as though the wind is picking up tomorrow, but not enough to stop the lifts.

Snow coverage is good, the only bare patches we skied today were the final pitch down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, (some) snow down to the valley too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Amazing day up there today!

They have a snowboard test going on there this weekend

And here's a video to give you an idea of conditions

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAyAYucsx1e/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks amazing. I will be in the valley for a couple of days later this month. Hope to get to ski for a few hours!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Matrix, it's really good up there, especially for the time of the year.

More than enough snow for them to open the Kaserer t bars, plenty of people had skied down there "off piste" from the top of the Lärmstange chair. Not sure if they will do soon, or wait for nearer to winter, but no reason they couldn't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don’t think I have ever seen the main piste down to Tuxerfernerhaus open so early.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, looks super. Nothing rusty about the skiing either.

Website showing 24km so something more. There's a nice cosmetic covering down to the mid station too, but I think its to warm shortly.
snow conditions
@8611, plenty of tracks doing to Sommerberg this morning as we went up over on the gondola. There was also people touring up as well. It'll start getting thin though as it's warming up as you said. It wasn't particularly cold yesterday or today, even at the very top.

What the online map doesn't show is that Red 11 is open down to the Lärmstange chair, but they can't show it as open as there's 3 sections to Red 11, but it's not all open. You can see from this screenshot, i've circled the bit that is open.

I was surprised Blue 3 down to Tuxer Fernerhaus was closed, as it gives a much easier route down for the nervous or weaker skiers.

No skiing for us next weekend as we're in Innsbruck for rehearsals all day Saturday and Sunday, but we'll next be up on Sunday 20th October.
ski holidays
Quote:
Website showing 24km
Looks great @swskier - but do you know if they are actually charging €76 a day Shocked for such a limited amount of skiing?

Full winter price from the first week in October is just taking the pee IMO Confused

snow conditions
Quote:

I was surprised Blue 3 down to Tuxer Fernerhaus was closed, as it gives a much easier route down for the nervous or weaker skiers.

It goes across the bottom of the glacier and where the glacier has retreated, then rock. I suspect there isn't enough snow yet at the level to make a safe track.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I don't know about the day ticket price... It seems a bit much for what is open. However, I reckon the majority of people around this weekend were from Munich/Rosenheim. People who came to buy the Tirol Snowcard at the pre-season price. That was certainly the case at Spieljoch.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
However, I reckon the majority of people around this weekend were from Munich/Rosenheim.

Wouldn't argue with that! We spoke to some people on the lift to Sommerberg yesterday morning as they asked us to take a photo, and that's exactly where they were from, and all the German number plates in the car park would suggest the same.

Not sure if the underground car park was closed yesterday (it was open Saturday) or full, but people had parked on the side of the road all the way back to the village which i've not seen before.
snow conditions
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

It goes across the bottom of the glacier and where the glacier has retreated, then rock. I suspect there isn't enough snow yet at the level to make a safe track.

That would make sense. Trust a local to have some knowledge! Laughing
snow conditions
I've always thought the lift pass there is insanely expensive when nothing else in zillertal open, but I assume it's a captive market with the best skiing in europe right now and in general when others aren't open
snow conditions
@8611, there's a number racers up there training, and presumably they won't have season passes as they're there for the weekends from places like the Dolomites, so will be paying full price, which as you say feels a lot of money for what you're getting at this time of the year.

I had expected it to be quieter than it was yesterday, given that the other local glaciers are open, but, there was some pretty big queues for all the lifts.
snow report
@swskier, Thanks for posting the photos. Great start to the season!
snow conditions
Pretty remarkable melt yesterday on the webcams, reminding us of why the run down to the midstation wasn't open!

Also interesting to notice the webcams changing - i.e., the one from the top pans completely to the right now and there's a new one from the Tuxer Fernhaus (at least on Bergfex app). Someone above mentioned how they crop the webcam at the top when snow is bad so people don't see it, I hadn't noticed that before but do now.
ski holidays
@8611, the Tuxer Fernerhaus webcam is also on the Hintertux website now.

It's been quite warm here, 18 degrees, plus some rain, and that washed all that snow away that you've seen. It's been hammering down with rain all day, so there'll be plenty of fresh stuff up the top.

Mrs Swskier drove to work at 5.30 this morning and the van said 18 degrees then! Shocked
snow report
That's nuts!
snow conditions
Whilst I'm far too old (and rubbish) to get involved with anything like this. The video shows some good coverage on Hintertux

http://youtube.com/v/IystmybgUg0
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@russ_e, as you can probably guess from the picture of me up the top there, my clothes are nowhere near baggy enough, my race boots and GS skis, it wouldn't be difficult to come to the conclusion that I also was not in the park on that first weekend, but the coverage was good up there.

We should be up there again this Sunday coming, and we'll see how much it's changed with the slightly warmer weather we've been having since we skied.
snow conditions
@swskier, Make sure you post up some pictures Smile
latest report
20th anniversary? Must be closer to 30 years or more that the park has been there.
latest report
@JimboS, I think it might be over 20 years since I went to Hintertux with you and the Snowboard forum lot.

Time flies....
ski holidays
Maybe saying it was a 30 or 35 year anniversary would make it seem like an old farts sport. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy