Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folie Douce - via lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

I know Alp 2 Huez is easily accessible for lifts. Been a few times.

Any others at the top of lifts / very easy access from resort level?

Got 4 beginners in our group this year and they have arranged lessons in the morning just for the apre ski.

They only want to do F-D locations.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
val d'isere you can get the bubble if memory serves correct
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jimdonut, yes, the entrance at the top is underneath the Folie building
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can down from the folie in saint Gervais on a green run
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996. Has to be lift down. They want to go day 1.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Id also say watching people attempt to get down the mountain after the FD i dont think many have learnt to ski !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Halowa wrote:
@Jonny996. Has to be lift down. They want to go day 1.

I have seen people walk it but I wouldn’t recommend, so StG/Megeve is out
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avoriaz. It's basically in the village
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arc 1800
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meribel FD you can ski back to centre and village.

VT FD you can ski back to VT or ski all the way through VT back to Les Menuires
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel's ideal. It has direct pedestrian access off the Saulire Express gondola which means they can download instead of skiing down if they overdo it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you look on the 3 valley piste map.

Meribel FD is at the saulire express 1 gondola mid station.

VT FD is top of VT2 Pionniers chair lift
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The run down from the FD in Val Thorens is actually quite tricky for beginners (plein sud). It's a blue but it's super busy and so can get extremely cut up.

Watching people attempt it after spending all afternoon on the Aperol Spritz is quite entertaining. Don't think you can get the chair down though im afraid.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..hence the name Carnage Corner and the enjoyment to be had sitting above it on a sunny afternoon watching drunk jerries jerry it to the max..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avoriaz is in the town, Les Arcs just above(can walk up or very short gondola)
snow report
As Dave of the Marmottes says, not VT. Beginners can't ski down that slope. Val d'Isere is a possible.
latest report
@joffy69, If a beginner skies down from the Folie in Val D they will end up in hospital.
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
Avoriaz. It's basically in the village

Yep with the Avoriaz one you can just walk there/back if staying in Avoriaz, or if you're staying in Morzine either walk/easy blue to the top of the Prodains gondola then gondola/bus back to Morzine (both of which run till around 9pm).
snow report
@Halowa, the FD Hotel in Chamonix is actually in town (previously Club Med). It's quite lively. And there are dancers.

https://en.lafoliedoucehotels.com/have-fun
snow report
Or forget FD and do it properly at Chalet Sauvage in Mégève ... it takes bonkers aprés-ski to a totally different level.

But make sure you all have your platinum cards. In January they had an undistinguished magnum of champagne at a very reasonable €60,000 ... Shocked

We ordered "staff" 'secco at €11 a glass.
snow conditions
PrinceJohn wrote:
The run down from the FD in Val Thorens is actually quite tricky for beginners (plein sud). It's a blue but it's super busy and so can get extremely cut up.

Watching people attempt it after spending all afternoon on the Aperol Spritz is quite entertaining. Don't think you can get the chair down though im afraid.

A couple of years ago a lady was seriously injured by a p155ed skier. There was nothing "quite entertaining" about that Sad .
ski holidays
Pay attention to lift closing times, and don't turn up at the last minute.
snow conditions
Definitely Val d'Isere. The bubble is in the same building as the FD there.
Tignes Le Lac may be possible - you have to ski down a very short slope indeed (could walk) and then get a chair up. At the top of the chair is a bubble down into Tignes le Lac. From there you could get a bus to other parts of Tignes.
ski holidays
i think you need skis for that lift
latest report
If you mean the La Daille lift on Val d'Isere side you don't need skis

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-10-24 10:57; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@mikeg2, Do you mean the Tommeuses lift for which you do need skis and cannot download from the Top of Tov?

Whether a beginner from Tignes could ski all the way from the top of Fresses from Val Claret to the FD is up for debate.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@mikeg2, Do you mean the Tommeuses lift for which you do need skis and cannot download from the Top of Tov?

Whether a beginner from Tignes could ski all the way from the top of Fresses from Val Claret to the FD is up for debate.

I think he means coming out of the Folie, you could walk down to the bottom of the Tommeuses lift, go up that then download on Toviere. Don't think that'd be a sensible idea if you're staying in Tignes personally. You'd be better getting the one down to (La Daille??) then the bus round the lake and back up to Tignes from there.

Not sure I'd fancy either option if my main criteria for being there was the pub though....
snow report
I guess a near-beginner wanting to go to the Folie from Tignes could go up Fresse, ski down a green to the Folie, then afterwards ski to Tommeuses and download on Toviere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah - you'd end up in different bits of Tignes though so would still need to jump on a bus.

To be honest, if you can't ski those greens and your sole intention is to go to a bar, I'm not sure any of the advice on here helps as you're essentially going on an Apres-Ski Holiday.
snow report
@paulhinch, of course it does. Beginners, first couple of days, lessons, back to village, go up in the gondola for apres.
snow report
I think that particularly "green" to the Folie is a bit of a tuff one for near beginners.
Its steep and narrow at the top and pretty busy with skiers who are out of their depth as well as usualy very bumpy.
But if they manage it, they deserve to let their hair down at the Folie.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
I think that particularly "green" to the Folie is a bit of a tuff one for near beginners.
Its steep and narrow at the top and pretty busy with skiers who are out of their depth as well as usualy very bumpy.
But if they manage it, they deserve to let their hair down at the Folie.

Not all of the greens down there are steep off the top. One of them definitely is but the rest are pretty straight forward off Fresse.

Just on the point about first few days etc. I get that but there's plenty of places in the towns for decent Apres if you can't get to the Folie.

Just seems a bit mad to me that you'd arrange the holiday around where the Wetherspoons is.
ski holidays
@paulhinch,
Mad to you. But not mad to hundreds of others
latest report
I get that. My point though is that the Folie is just a bar. Fancy bar but still a bar.

Stay in somewhere like Val Claret and there's plenty of decent places to go and party at the bottom of the slopes within staggering distance of where you're staying.

I don't get the mythical status. It's a chain of bars, nothing more.
ski holidays
@paulhinch, you know that, I know that...you don't have to get it.
latest report
@paulhinch, Ooops!
Sorry, Ive never been up there and come off Fresse,
The lift up to Fresse has always been closed to me. (December)
I was describing coming off the Toviere.
snow report
@paulhinch, but it isn't "just a bar." Bars don't generally have cabaret and other entertainment like that. It's not my kind of thing but it's definitely not "just a bar."
snow report
I don't think I've ever bought a drink in there, but I have enjoyed the atmosphere.

Its really just a place to be seen "if you know what I mean?"

http://youtube.com/v/7Nxox_4JvRE
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
@paulhinch, Ooops!
Sorry, Ive never been up there and come off Fresse,
The lift up to Fresse has always been closed to me. (December)
I was describing coming off the Toviere.

Oh yeah. Off Toviere might be a bit tasty for a newbie. The route off Fresse is much gentler if you wanted (although the green at the top of the Borsat lift can be utterly mental at the top if you went that way).
ski holidays
ADH's Folie can be reached by pedestrians via the Marmottes chondola - skiers can download that way and avoid the chopped up snow and p***headz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy