Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

B 2 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello
I've been skiing for several years now and manage snow on and off piste quite good , plus I do randonee' tours every now and then . i have a pair of fischer's air tech and diamir t2 bind's - and I think its time for an upgrade... i looked up at rossi b2 and they seem to be what i seek - in terms of skiing on and off piste .
the question is- will they work well with the t2 bindings? are they (the B2 I mean) suitable for randonee and skins ? is there a ski that can handle both on and off piste and can be used in dki touring, or I must have an extra pair?
I would really like an advice - thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
liorh, welcome to snowHead .

I've seen people skinning up B2s before, but not sure on their binding setup.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
liorh, no problem fitting those bindings to B2s. They will work on any ski which doesn't have a binding plate. Skins will stick to any ski. If the ski is a twin tip or has a large tip protector you may have to play around with the clips for attaching the skin to the ski but it's not a huge problem. Plenty of people do use B2s. They wouldn't be my first choice of ski (but everyone's different!), but you'll probably find their performance a bit better than the air techs
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the quick response. arno - what will be your choice ? I really want to feel an improvement off piste but have the ability to skin up every now and then(but I mostly go plain downhill)... I also looked at the dynastar legends (4800,8000 and pro)what about them? thanks again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno,
thanks for the quick response. arno - what will be your choice ? I really want to feel an improvement off piste but have the ability to skin up every now and then(but I mostly go plain downhill)... I also looked at the dynastar legends (4800,8000 and pro)what about them? thanks again
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
liorh, Arno will probably give you a good review of the Pros, as (IIRC) he skis on them himself.

I use the Legend 8000s for pretty much everything I do on snow (probably 10+% on-piste, 70% lift-served off-piste, <20% randonee), with Fritschi Freeride bindings. I think they work great, and are ideal for what you want. They are really light for an all-mountain ski and can even hold a reasonable edge on hard-pack and on-piste (although of course a dedicated piste ski would be better there). The Freerides are also good, although the heel lock-down on mine has now got a bit of play in it after only about 10 weeks skiing. Last year a few people I was skiing with switched from B2s (2004/5 models) to 8000s half way through the week and thought them a major improvement. The 2005/6 Rossis are supposed to be better on-piste [edit..than the 2004/5 models]. If you're heavy and not too bothered about on-piste preformance you would probably benefit from a bit more width underfoot though - I (90+ kg) did find a few hours on 8800s a lot easier in deep/cruddy snow than on the 8000s, but possibly they would not be as nimble in tight spots.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-08-06 9:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
liorh,

GrahamN uses 8000's with a touring set-up I believe. He takes them everywhere and loves them. To my thinking the compromise must be ease of travel - so lightness and width might be an issue, uphill and the ease of ski a mid fat downhill.

I think the 8000 is a better ski allround than the 4800. The widths of those skis are 4800 is around 74 and the the 8000 is ...er, 80mm.

The 4800 is a revised Intuitive 74 which was a great ski for guides a few years ago. The 8000 has moved it on. Maybe a few more tourers like Davidof and DB might log in and tell you about their set-ups
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There you go... Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
liorh, i'll chime in about the Pro. If you're planning on doing a lot of uphill, you better get fit. They are a heavy rig, although the 176 that seems to be coming out this year will shave a few grams.

Downhill, if you are either a good technical skier who skis fast or quite big (or both) they are an awesome ski. The only place where they aren't great is in bumps. Other than that, they have the girth to float nicely in the soft stuff but they are pretty stiff so they hold an edge on piste and go through all manner of nasty snow very nicely. If you like making loads of little turns, they will be quite hard work but if you prefer to go fast with long to medium radius turns you'll have great fun. They just get better the faster you go
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno,

Whats the difference between a 8800 and the Pro downhill.. ? I do like a turney ski and will be on about 90mm this year for what I want to do mostly. The reason for the change up is economy of effort and I am thinking Apache Outlaw or 8800's
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, i've never used an 8800. My previous off piste skis were some old Dynastar Bigs (the ones with a little swallow tail). They were about 80mm underfoot so probably closer to the 8000 than the 8800. On the other hand, they were made in the Dynastar race room so they may have been a little beefier than them.

Anyway, the big thing for me about the Pros is how stable they are at speed. On piste you really can go very fast indeed and they just feel so stable. Off piste I'm a little more restrained but they're still better at wider radius turns. As far as stiffness and build is concerned, I imagine they feel very like Stocklis - they have the same sort of laminate construction, vertical sidewalls etc.

For reference, a couple of other skis I liked a lot last year were the Prior Original and the Blizzard Titan 9.2. The former was a bit softer than the Pro with similar dimensions but still felt like a proper ski. I'd been on B4s the rest of that trip which were really dead in comparison (not sure whether it's because they're just boring skis or whether they were examples of what happens to foam core skis when they reach the end of their life). I hired the Titans in La Grave one day when my Pros were being repaired. They were really nice. We were skiing great snow in bad visibility (so keeping the speed down) and they handled everything very nicely - deep powder at the top; crud half way down; moguls through the trees then a slushy track at the bottom. I'd definitely consider them as a quiver of one if you don't want to go too fat - they're 92mm under foot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno,

Sounds ok, I hope there will be a bit of a choice when I get there.

Anything like the above or the Santiago....but I am in Engelberg beforehand so I might be in the market....

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a pair of 8800 last year after trying them out against my old B2's and Volkl Karmas. They need a bit more input to make them work than the other two, but repay that by being far more stable than both in crud and cut up snow.

I haven't had a chance to use them on pistes with decent snow cover yet, but they don't seem very keen on really hardpacked stuff or ice. But that's just as you'd expect.

My feeling is that you have to choose where you want your ski to perform best, in deep snow or on the groomed, and buy accordingly. You can perhaps compromise with 80mm, but it is a compromise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy