Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon vs Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'd be grateful of any advice to help make my mind up! Looking at going to either Slivretta Montafon or Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis in Feb half term. Will be driving. We are a family of 5 and can see pros and cons for both resorts. Had decided on Serfaus but slightly concerned as the pistes appear to be largely south facing? Is that an issue? I'm happy with the piste difficulty in both places, but a bit worried Montafon might be a bit limited as smaller area? Am also aware its a longer drive to Serfaus! I'd be grateful of any advice/tips/thoughts regarding these 2 areas. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JessG, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is pretty snowsure right up until April. Have skied there a few times over Easter and never had any problems. Definitely recommend Serfaus or Fiss for later in the season. Ladis not so much.
February should be no problem!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive been to Serfaus Fiss a couple of times. In fact I go to SFL with the kids about 12 years go during half term hols, no problems with the snow. The biggest challenge is finding a seat for lunch.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can’t speak to Montafon, but have been to SFL 3x recently and have to say it is a great family resort and very snowsure. About 50% of the slopes are above 2000 meters. And only about a quarter are directly south facing (most have an easterly aspect)

Another great thing about SFL is that while it is a larger resort by Austrian standards, with around 200km of slopes, it is well interlinked and you can comfortably access all areas of the region and not have to worry about how/when you will get back. So great for exploring while the kids are in ski school.

Also it has loads of fun little trails for kids to go down, and plenty of other activities, such as night skiing, great Toboggan runs, an even show on the snow and loads more.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I lived in Schruns (Montafon) for two years and have spent a fair bit of time biking - but never skiing - in Serfaus.

Serfaus is probably more snow-sure, BUT Montafon gets more snow. Serfaus is colder but drier... I wouldn't worry about the snow in Feb in either though!

Montafon is more off the UK radar, and I'd say Serfaus is also a bit better known in the DE-speaking market. Mid Feb is Fasching so it's not going to be quiet anywhere, but Montafon probably has the edge.

Personally I quite enjoyed that Montafon consists of a few different non-linked areas. They each have a different character, so you feel like you get a bit more variety. Serfaus OTOH is more convenient.

I would expect Serfaus to have better Apres Ski if that's a consideration. Ok I was there Sept 2014-16 so it's probably changed a lot since then (!) but Montafon was v quiet with little going on in the evenings then.

I would probably pick Montafon but there's not much in it - so actually I'd probably pick based on the hotel/accommodation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How do these two hold up in April?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only a brief experience of both but either would seem good choices. Serfaus I would guess would be busier high season with Montafon possibly attracting less visitors than locals. Serfaus has a big focus on kids, little "Austrian" apres of the sort found across the ridge in Ischgl. As noted Serfaus does does not generally get as much precipitation as some nearby areas as it is in a slight rain shadow from the prevailing north westerly weather systems whereas Montafon is similar to the adjacent Arlberg / Bregenzerwald areas (supposedly the snowiest in the alps). In terms of traffic the Pfänder tunnel at Bregenz used to have big queues but since they opened the second bore believe they have gone, there are high season Saturday queues at Bludenz at the end of the dual carriageway leading up to the Arlberg tunnel but that would mainly effect travelling onto Landeck for Serfaus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Montafon last January - stayed in St Gallenkirch - and loved it! There was sufficient snow, an excellent hotel/restaurant virtually next door with live music twice a week. Skiing and runs was also great.
We drove from South Shropshire via French motorways and Salzburg which was also fine, only a little further than, say Samoens.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scr wrote:
How do these two hold up in April?

Depends on the weather, and it isn't really forecastable.

As above, Serfaus is colder and will generally have what most people considered better snow until later (though I'll never get why people don't like slush!). However in the two years I was in Montafon we had incredible powder days in April both years, also after the lifts had shut. This was one incredible April storm for example:

https://vimeo.com/123984214
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Leonard Smalls, Salzburg? about 200km too far east!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@Leonard Smalls, Salzburg? about 200km too far east!

Oops! Meant Strasbourg!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy