Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA Flaine or Tignes in early March for a complete newbie?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

It will be my very first time skiing and I can't decide between UCPA Flaine and Tignes for the first week of March.

I'll be coming from Geneva Airport and so Flaine is a lot easier to get to. Also read that their slopes are a lot more accessible from the accommodation.

But I am not sure about snow conditions in Flaine in early March? Should I head to Tignes which is more snow-sure? Or does it not really matter for a complete newbie like me?

Any thoughts are welcomed Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent choice - have fun! Either will be great - fwiw I suspect Flaine will be more French (do you speak French?) - Think UCPA in Tignes is next to the Club Med? - so near Val Claret slopes? Snow in Flaine in March will be fine - we're in a bad way if you can't rely on that in March!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend ucpa Les Arcs over either of those 2 imo

1 because tignes isn't very beginner friendly

and

2 flaine is not a great resort
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wertyip, you'll be fine in Flaine. In either place you will only use a fraction of the available pistes anyway, but both have enough for a learning beginner. You might as well benefit from the shorter transfer, better situated accommodation, and likely lower overall cost of Flaine.

It is a well established Snowheads tradition that even when someone asks a binary question, A or B, lots of people will instead suggest C or D or ...Z.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wertyip,
Early March should have good snow for beginners irrespective of resort.
According to UCPAs website the resorts with their accommodation closest to the beginner slopes are (in order) La Plagne, Serre Chevalier, Tignes and Val d'Isere - something to consider if you've never walked in ski boots, carrying skis before.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wertyip, Early March is not too early in the season. The snow depth should have built close to maximum by that time in either resort. Remember that the first week of March is still the half term holidays so it will be busy. A week or later would be better.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes can be fun as a complete newbie but beware of the green run vert down from Folie, it’s not a good green for beginners!! I learnt to ski properly in Tignes after doing a crash course in UK. Highly recommend a few private lessons. My skill went up so quickly with Amy from New Generation ski school! I’ve been to Tignes 5 times now and I’m now a confident freestyle skier. I learned everything I know in those mountains. Good thing about Espace Killy is it encompasses not just Tignes, Val D’Isère and a high up glacier it also includes La Fornet (huge area of usually empty pistes and good runs for learners to test their new skills out without moronic people crashing into them! Biggest danger on the mountain is other humans sadly) plus it has the famous up and over ski lift which is fun with amazing views! I’ve been in both January and late March. March had more whiteout days and the snow was quite mashed up slushy in places. The glacier sadly wasn’t open though as they had terrible storms in 2017 which broke the lift system and it was still closed in 2018. Went in 2019 in March and it was beautiful, had two dumps of snow, loads of bluebird days and sun burnt lips Eh oh! we found after it had been sunny for 4 days straight the snow near the bottom of the runs sucked. But the snow up top was perfect Eh oh! there’s a big green area in Val quite high up that usually has good coverage too! My friend who would happily describe herself as boring, hated Flaine but loved Tignes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cjghparkandpiste7, welcome to SHs. I think you will find that even Val d’Isere no longer claims to have a Green run down to La Daille.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Showing how long it’s been since I’ve been in the mountains! Last time I skied there was 2019 and I had to coax my nervous friend who was a learner down it (she was insisting on following us). I had a car accident end of 2019 and the idiot that hit me, was kind enough to leave me with a spinal injury. Had 2 surgeries though this year and should be cleared to go back up and play soon! No park for me though Eh oh! I think even bouncing a large mogul would be dangerous.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski lots, apologies I forgot to thank you for the lovely welcome Eh oh!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another one for Flaine. The UCPA is right at the base of the beginners pistes and close to the Aup de Veran lift which gives access to a great progressors' are with blues and reds. Very short walk to the village proper. Stayed there once 20+ years ago, when it had its own bar, don't know if it's still the same now though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have done lots of UCPA trips. It is a great setup for all levels of skiers. It is really easy to meet people and I have always had a good time on my trips so I keep on going back for more.

If you are in the complete beginner groups you get tuition on the Sunday which is good (the other groups start lessons on Monday). Probably sensible to prevent complete beginners from hurling themselves down La face de Bellevarde on the first day.

Tbh, if you are a complete beginner it probably doesn't matter too much where you go. The first day will probably be on the nursery slopes (usually nearly flat slopes with a travelator). Then you will probably progress to chairlifts from day 2-3 but it it is unlikely that you will be venturing too far and you will probably stick to only a few slopes unless the group progresses very quickly. I wouldn't pay too much attention to how many kms of runs there are at each resort as it is not going to be relevant as a complete beginner.

Not done Flaine so I can't comment on that centre but I have been to the one in Tignes twice and going again in January.

The only real negatives with Tignes compared to some of the other centres that I have been to are:

- The dorms are very cramped compared to the other centres and the beds are very small which can be an issue if you are tall (luckily I am short).
- The showers are very small (basically a cupboard) and are shared across two dorms between 8 people.
- Some of the rooms above the bar and kitchen can be noisy if you get unlucky with your room.
- It is a 5-10 minute walk to the main lifts which is a bit of a pain on the first day when you are getting used to walking in heavy ski boots carrying heavy skis at high altitude. But you get used to it by the end of the week. There is a free bus to the lifts every 20 minutes or so which stops outside the centre if you are feeling lazy.
- The transfer from Geneva can be rough depending on traffic. Hope for the best (4 1/2 hours) but prepare for the worst (7-8 hours).

But as positives:

- The bar area is nice and I have always found it easy to meet people there and have a good time socially even as a solo traveller.
- Tignes (Val Claret) is going to be much more lively than Flaine if you are also looking for Apres-ski and maybe a night out during the week.
- I agree with the other poster, Tignes had a decent mix of French and non-French/English speaking when I went whereas I suspect Flaine will be more French as it is not as well known to Brits.

1st week of March is fine for snow. Tignes is 500 metres higher so will be more snow sure but it shouldn't really matter where you go unless the weather for the ski season has been really dire.

Also consider Val Thorens. I think overall the centre (accommodation, restaurant, bar area) is a bit nicer and more spacious. It is ski-in/ski-out (maybe not on your first day, but probably by day 2-3 you will be shuffling along the track back to the centre). I am pretty sure they also use a minibus there to take beginners to the nursery slopes on the first day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First week of March is fine for snow but still school hols. French resorts will be quieter the following week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Flaine UCPA is convenient for ski access, particularly for beginners. Can't say I know the UCPA centre in Tignes.

Early March should be OK for snow in Flaine, but there are no guarantees. Quality/quantity of snow probably isn't that important as a beginner, though.
snow report
UCPA centre in Flaine is excellent, you really are very close to the pistes and the transfer as you say is nice and short. Rooms in Flaine UCPA are the best I’ve had at a UCPA and you’re in the centre of town which is nice as well

Tignes UCPA is a little bit further from the centre - I’ve not stayed there but did stay at the one in Val d’Isere and we went for lunch ( with our instructor) in the Tignes centre one day. The communal area was nice but apparently the rooms in Tignes are fairly basic as they are in Val d’Isere

I’d vote for Flaine
ski holidays
thanks for the input everyone! appreciate all your comments <3 after considering everything I've decided to go with Flaine NehNeh though if the experience turns out to be a good one, i might do another UCPA week in the same season... this time at Les Arcs / Serre Chevalier / Val Thorens. or maybe pick up snowboarding as well !! idk if that's too ambitious hehehe but we'll see

trying to benefit from the 18-30 discounts before i turn 31 Skullie
snow report
@wertyip, Les arcs not so good for snowboarding Val Thorens would be ideal
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
@wertyip, Les arcs not so good for snowboarding Val Thorens would be ideal

noted on that! how about serre chevalier - is it good for snowboarding?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy