Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Italy ski school

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Smile First time poster here.
I am doing very early planning for a likely January 2026 trip, which I’m thinking will include a week at a ski resort in the Dolomites. We are thinking of flying into Milan (we are limited as to arrival airports due to long haul from Australia). We are my husband and I plus our 11 year old (at time of travek) son. My husband and i are near beginner (we were doing the more “advanced” green slopes in Japan when we last skiied 5 years ago) and our son did some ski school mornings in Japan in 2019 but he was only 4 years old and definitely needs more lessons before he can join us up the chairlisfts.

My question relates to ski schools in the dolomites. Ideally, it would be great if we could put our son into group lessons but take it day by day, so that when he gets competent enough we can not do lessons and go up the chairlift. The reason for this is that talking to him now he does not want to go to ski school because hw wont know anyone Sad and we are therefore trying to minimise his time in ski school because he rather be with us. However, the Dolomites seem different from Japan in that one off lessons dont seem to be an option and we would have to sign him up for a one week “course” which i dont think he would be up for.

so my question is: am i misreading the websites of the various ski schools and can we in fact book him in to one-off lessons? Or does anyone know a resort in the dolomites where this is possible?

Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @EagleRay. Great choice to go to the Dolomites.

The trip is so far ahead that perhaps it would be best not to bother your son by thinking about what sort of ski lessons he might want to do in what must seem to him to be the far distant future.

You can certainly do "one off" private lessons - a good but expensive option. Or you could book him into a week's ski school and take him out when you think he's good enough.

My feeling is that at 11 years old, if he's keen and pays attention, he will improve his skiing a lot faster than you will! One option will be to book some days of private lessons for all three of you. It's not ideal to have such mixed ages but a good instructor will ensure you all have fun and your son won't feel pushed out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But I don't think you need decide on all that for a while yet..... snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son was 10 when I first took him skiing, day 1 he mastered the nursery slope, day 2 he tackled the chairlift and was parallel turning, day 3 he followed me all over the mountain, day 4 I couldn't keep up with him down the steep reds, day 5 he was playing in moguls as I watched enviously from the side!! Laughing Laughing

Great age to learn quickly and I think you may well have the same experience! wink

Book a private lesson for all 3 of you on the first day and watch him leave you for dust! Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks you everyone for your helpful replies!
Lots of options for us! Sounds like a 10/11 year old tends to pick up skiing quite quickly which is great Smile Would love it if we can all ski together Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not quite what you asked, but are you sure the Dolomites is the right area for you?

I LOVE the Dolomites, and would happily ski there every year. But if you're all relative beginners, you're not going to be able to make the most of what the area is amazing for, which is high mileage and linked areas. You will be paying a lot of money for a lift pass that you'll barely use.

If your aim is to be able to spend some time skiing together, I'd book a smaller resort, where you can have a great mix of lessons and ski time together.

The Dolomites has amazing scenery, but if you're coming from Aus, then anywhere in the Alps is going to be pretty different from home (and all snowy mountains are beautiful). I am guessing there is probably somewhere nearer to Milan which would suit you all better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WoottonBecs wrote:

I LOVE the Dolomites, and would happily ski there every year. But if you're all relative beginners, you're not going to be able to make the most of what the area is amazing for, which is high mileage and linked areas. You will be paying a lot of money for a lift pass that you'll barely use.

@WoottonBecs, you are aware that the OP doesn't need to buy the more expensive Dolomiti Superski pass that covers the whole Sella Ronda area and farther afield? They can get a cheaper local area pass which if they are near beginners will suit them fine. The limits of each local area pass are clearly shown on signs as you travel round the Sella Ronda circuit. https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Ski-pass/Prices
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The local area passes aren't that much cheaper though - there are still much cheaper ski passes around. If you're going to stick to a local area (which would definitely make sense in this instance), I was merely making the point that it may be worth considering other areas which may be better suited (and closer to Milan, which is quite a long transfer to the Dolomites). I guess it all depends on why The Dolomites were the region of choice in the first instance...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for your comments. The reason for choosing the dolomites is their uniqueness and beauty with the jagged peaks etc.. we’ve seen other mountains before but these look very different.
Your comments about ski pass prices are noted though, as well as distance from Milan
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy